My new comp

Just ran 3DMark06, got 13k points, I'm pretty happy with that. Hopefully when I add another card later and oc the cpu on water I could hit 20k points.

http://img368.imageshack.**/img368/8369/3dmark06sn5.jpg

So you've OCed the CPU and the GPU?

Nice system dude, pretty ballsy with the overclocking.
Kind of a cramped case tho, I had enough of cutting my hands when trying to feed wires, so I went with a Coolermaster Cosmos. So much space, might put another 4870 in later. But maybe not heh

comp3.jpg

Thanks. You rig looks very nice too. Have you oc it?

OT (@ first post): Jeeeez... how can you see anything inside the case with that wiring?

Yea, it's kinda cramped, and I have two PSUs, so the wiring looks messy.

So you've OCed the CPU and the GPU?
Yes. The CPU is running at 3.4ghz (1ghz oc), and the GPU is running at 810/1087.

Not yet, I'm trying to come up with a water cooled solution for the cpu and the gpu before I oc. Unfortunately I haven't found a water block that will cover both the gpu and the memory on my 4870.

Wow, that sounds pretty cool. What CPU do you have?

I went with an AMD Phenom x4 9850 Black Edition, its really begging to be overclocked especially with that stupidly large aftermarket cooler heh

It should be fairly easy to get that chip up to 3ghz with just increasing the multi.

Yes. The CPU is running at 3.4ghz (1ghz oc), and the GPU is running at 810/1087.

Well, that helps me out. I have similar specs. I have the 6600 OCed to 3GHz and the 4850 at stock levels and I pulled a 12,973. Do you ever do any video encoding?

Very nice rig man. I'm impressed, you're doing a 1GH OC on air.

Thanks. I do need to create DVDs often, so having a quad core really helps. What motherboard do you have?

I've been messing around with overclocking this proc. I have the multiplier up to 13 for 2.6 ghz which should be no problem. The weird thing is that in AMD's Overdrive utility and Everest sys monitor all four of the cores report temps of 38C/100F but overall it reports the CPU has a temp of 85C/185F ! What is going on here? Bad sensor, or maybe I should reapply the thermal paste/heatsink assembly? But wouldn't the cores be just as hot or hotter? I'm gonna reapply thermal paste before I venture on. Let me know what you think the problem could be. Thing shouldn't be up to 85C after only a .5 increase in multiplier...

I always use CoreTemp for my AMD CPUs, it seems to read the temps accurately. So maybe give that a try. If it's still high, try re-mount the heatsink. My previous rig is a Athlon X2 with locked multi, so it's a little bit different than the Phenom. But from what I've read, you need to increase the NB voltage slightly to get stable overclock out of it. Also, if your motherboad is a 790GX chipset with SB750, you can tweak the ACC value in the bios, that will yield better overclock.

Found a guide at overclock.net forums I'll mess with that if I get a chance tomorrow. I reseated the heatsink, spun it round so the fan blows into the case exhaust so that may help. Everest now reads the cpu at 48C while the rest of the cores are between 42 and 43... a lot better but still a difference between the two.

Oh BTW, I can't get CoreTemp to show temperatures for the other cores. The drop down meny to select them is grayed out. But it's reading for the one core matches with everest and AMD overdrive

Well, the Phenom is a single die true quad core, so the temp difference between the cores is probably within a couple degree. You can safely overclock it up to 60c for AMD CPUs I believe. So if 48c is your load temp, you can still up the volts a little bit a go a little higher.

Thanks. I do need to create DVDs often, so having a quad core really helps. What motherboard do you have?

I'm running a DFI LanParty LT P35-T2R. I've just been disappointed with my performance while encoding video but I think it had something to do with the fact that I'm still using XP.

However, I've got a question for you. What temp is acceptable on the 6600? Right now my load temps can get up to 59 C. I hope that's not too hot.

If it's a G0 stepping, the max temp is 71c.