The "New Toys" Thread

[image of phone]
Got sick of the 2day batterylife on my Nokia 6100.

Wow, 2 days?!?! Hahaha. What are you complaining about? Mine only lasts about half a day if I use it for music like I usually do.

Hey I've got one of those too. Hooked it up eSata, firewire, or USB? I'm sorry to say its the first WD drive that has ever crashed on me. It seems to get really hot, I keep a house fan blowing on it when I'm writing/reading large amounts of data and that seems to keep it happy.

It's connected via firewire and seems to stay quite cool.

Logging onto my mobile provider's website, turns out I'm due an upgrade.

So :

New phone in the post for free (LG Viewty - 5mp camera, touchscreen etc).
And 10% off my monthly bill (making it ?13.50 a month)
And I can still cancel anytime if I want!

I may just eBay the phone as there's nowt wrong with my SE W850i.

Only downside? The new phone's purple...

Wow, 2 days?!?! Hahaha. What are you complaining about? Mine only lasts about half a day if I use it for music like I usually do.

Yes but I never used it for music/radio, and I don't talk on the phone for hours and hours. I could not let it slide. The batterylife was pathetic.

Only downside? The new phone's purple...

Solution:
4531p.jpg

:p

my sister got the exact same phone a while ago! is it as cool to use as it is to look at?
Only annoyance I have encountered thus far is the screen, it has really bad viewing angles. Otherwise it's nice :)

Logging onto my mobile provider's website, turns out I'm due an upgrade.

So :

New phone in the post for free (LG Viewty - 5mp camera, touchscreen etc).
And 10% off my monthly bill (making it ?13.50 a month)
And I can still cancel anytime if I want!

Holy, only ?13.50 a month? Does that include any minutes or is it pay per use?

The cheapest plans in Canada, for people who actually need to make a few calls a day, is about $50, minimum.

^Shawn, don't you know how costly data transfer services are in Canada? Especially if they're wireless...
Our market for digital data (whether internet, cell phone, digital telephone, digital cable, satellite TV/radio) is absolutely shit. Oligopoly in it's worst form.

^Shawn, don't you know how costly data transfer services are in Canada? Especially if they're wireless...
Our market for digital data (whether internet, cell phone, digital telephone, digital cable, satellite TV/radio) is absolutely shit. Oligopoly in it's worst form.

Oh, I know how bad the situation is. I was just quoting what I'm on, which is a pretty basic package from Fido. You could go even cheaper, but you'd get maybe 200 minutes total and no services like CID or VM.

I didn't even bother with a data plan on my phone. Even if you have Safari or Opera on your phone, the experience is not worth the $50 or so you pay just for a limited data plan.

What can you do, Canada gets shafted on consumer issues like this even worse than Europe sometimes.

^Well, at least we do have other industries that aren't as bad ... I'd hate to be shafted as often as Australia or Britain ... all import has to come on boats and stuff. :D
Well, Britain still has the channel for some things, but Australia...

^Well, at least we do have other industries that aren't as bad ... I'd hate to be shafted as often as Australia or Britain ... all import has to come on boats and stuff. :D

But they got the free PS3s from Sony! Didn't you read me ranting on the previous page too? :D

P.S. FTR, the $6.95 system access fee sucks donkey turd.

P.S. FTR, the $6.95 system access fee sucks donkey turd.

Oh, don't get me started on that.
They offer you a plan that's 35 CAD a month ... that's how they advertise it. But you have to pay 6.95 CAD for a "system access fee". So what's that for?

"Oh, we're going to charge you $35 for your phone usage every month ... and none of that is going to go towards the cost of using our network in any way. You have to pay extra for that." Then why the hell am I paying you people in the first place? Just so you can put it in a nice "profit margin" for your shareholders? :mad:

You have to pay an extra 6.95 CAD just to be able to talk at all on the phone.

EDIT:
Why can't they include it in their damn advertised prices?
Same with taxes ... put them in the prices, people.
And why the hell hasn't the government gotten rid of the GST yet? It was supposed to be temporary, goddamnit!!

since we're all ranting about Canada, internet packages are pretty brutal as well, my home service is like 1.5 mbps and it's like almost 40 bucks a month :\

since we're all ranting about Canada, internet packages are pretty brutal as well, my home service is like 1.5 mbps and it's like almost 40 bucks a month :\

Who are you with? Novus is downtown only, but I get 10mbps for $38ish.

Even Shaw I think offers 6mbps for the cheapest plan.

Also, just checked out Novus' site, and it looks like I've gone from 60gb/mo. to 110gb! That's a nice deal for sure. :woot:

Maybe I should stop buying old computers I actually don't need :-D

Anyway, I present you the NetBook ancestor, the Apple eMate 300 ^^

eMate.png

Oooo, retro. I like it.

Do you have a Newton as well? Those are just epic win.

Picked up a Asus Eee PC 1000H this afternoon.

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sh/shawn/2008/10/12/DSC_0433.jpg

It's quite decent. I found the keyboard really difficult to use, but got used to it in a few hours. It's pretty heavy for a netbook, but then again you do get a 10" screen, 160gb HDD and a 6 cell battery.

Only thing is it plays 720p really choppily, but I'm hoping to fix that with a codec or something. I knew it wasn't a multimedia powerhouse, but I didn't think it would be so choppy on 720p to make videos unwatchable.

There isn't much point playing HD videos on the 10 inch screen, but it would be a hassle for me to re-acquire all my HD videos in non-HD for the Asus.

Last edited: