2008 Japanese Formula 1 Grand Prix

They won't do that, it's inadmissable, a waste of time...

I've been watching F1 for 14 years now (yes I was 6 and didn't understand much but so what) and I'm a Ferrari fan and I have to say that Bourdais' penalty has to be the worst decision I've ever seen.

I'm back after two days without internet (it's incredibly frustrating not to have internet when there's an F1 weekend on :p).

An eventful race again, this is quite a weird season!

Brilliant drive from Alonso, amazing. Two wins in a row - who would have thought this in March, when Renault was happy with a 8th place?
Piquet had great pace too, I hope Renault can keep it up in the last two races.

Kubica was great as well, that BMW didn't look good at all and I wouldn't have bet on his 2nd place after the last pit stops! He did a very good job keeping Kimi behind. 12 points behind Hamilton, 9 points ahead of Kimi, maybe I'm biased but I definetely think that he's done a better job this year than any of the McLaren and Ferrari guys. The WDC seems unrealistic though.

Kimi made it to the podium at least, but otherwise he showed nothing extra...

The penalties... they're trying to penalize every single incident... I'm not against penalties in cases like the Massa-Hamilton incident, Massa clearly messed it up, but why did they penalize Bourdais for instance? And Hamilton at the start, if they punished him for that they could punish some drivers in every race.

Anyway, 5 points now with two races to go, and even Kubica is there... I can't wait until China :D

I feel so bad for Kovalainen! That was some shit luck out there today; i hope the same thing doesn't happen in the last 2 races.

Glad to see Kimi back up on the podium again, and yes, alonso did deserve this win, as did kubica.

I hope McMerc doesn't fall to pieces during these last 2 races. Pleaseeeeeeeeeee don't. Lewis, please please please learn to calm down. I know it sucks to see your rivals in front of you, but don't do anything stupid now. You can do it later by smashing plates or whatever else is in your hotel room. Just not on the track!

Massa crashing into Hamilton, and the whole Bourdais-incident = :censored::censored::censored:

The Bourdais penalty was fucking horseshit. Whoever made that decision needs to be fired, and fast.

Alright, now that I'm fully awake and not too upset at Hamilton losing his head at the start, this is what I think:

Hamilton completely botched up his start. I loved the scene in the beginning of the race, before the lights went out where Kimi was looking at Hamilton's car. He wanted to get something, and when the lights went out, he went and got it. In terms of that, it was awesome. Lewis then got desperate (I thought you matured, man :\), and completely fried his tyres which pretty much eliminated his chance for a race victory. Having said that, though, I want to know when was the last time a driver was penalized for out-braking himself at the start of the race (regardless of it's consequences on others...). You'll be hard pressed to help me on that one, I am sure.

As the lap proceeded, Massa, then had a complete brainfart and drove right into Lewis, and he got a just reward for that. I do commend him for being able to fight back and grab a point, but now we definitely know that he is an apprentice of the great Michael Schumacher -_-.

I'm glad for Raikkonnen that he finally pulled a decent result out of the bag, but I am surprised that he was not able to beat Kubica, and disappointed that he did not challenge Alonso for the win.

Alonso (and I hate to say it), definitely deserved this win as well. 2 in a row, there's no question as to where he's going to be next year. Piquet did well, but when he was told to push, and try to overtake Raikkonnen, he fucked up, and for that reason, I believe he's not going to remain at Renault next year. He can cruise, but if he really has to push, he will mess up.

Kubica. What can I say... If BMW had kept on the development push, He would have been a huge headache for McLaren and Ferrari, it would have DEFINITELY been a 3 way battle for the championship (both of them, actually), and I would not be surprised if Kubica would have been the one leading it.

It also does seem to be like Bad Luck is creeping up on McLaren... when was the last time we had an engine failure? I feel sorry for Kovalainen, because, he definitely had a chance at the podium at Fuji, and it all just went up in flames :(. Very bad for the WCC. I would not have been so disappointed had he finished the race and gathered us some points. Being 6 points back in the WCC will need a concerted effort from McLaren, and calming down on the part of Lewis. We can't throw this away like we did last year.

At the end of the day, big congrats to Robert, Alonso, and finally Raikkonnen, but McLaren, Lewis and Kovalainen really need to hunker down and not fuck up this season. They have been fantastic (all but Heikki) all year, and they cannot crack in the last two races. It would be devastating.

I have no comment to make on the penalty on Bourdais. The evidence is there for all to see.

massa didnt drive right in to him

but you are right, he did have a complete mind melt and shoulda hung back on that, hamilton was practically passed and massa decided he'd try take the place back by going completely off the track over the curbs, which was a bad idea anyway because all the curbs did was kick his car up and into hamilton.

it probably wasnt intentional, but it definately wasnt well thought out.

having said that, hamilton would of ended up at the back end of the field anyway with those not so round anymore tyres.

bourdais call is pure, unadulterated bullshit of the highest magnitude.

i was however glad to see hammy fuck himself over in the first corner, after his comments in that court case the other week.... you know the "im perfect" "im the best there is" "im the best at my job" ...... and the subtle self praise he was having for himself as he talked brundle through his qualifying lap.... i was damn happy to see him gash that up soooo baddly, he's good, but after today i wouldnt be proclaiming that im the best...i hope some one reminds him of those comments, just to rub it in.

also, i hated the entirely contrived moment when he goes round the garage shaking all the mechanics hands. i know he does it at every race, but it just seems overly cheesey, overly hammed up and completel contrived with the camera following his every move, its like they got a drop out hollywood director giving him orders just out of view. its totally gay.

very happy that alonso won again, i personally think he's the best driver out there right now (kimi is close though, he just seems to be a bit luke warm mid-race), i mean that renault was no where at the start of the season, now look at it......and alonso is driving the wheels off it with remarkable consistency. amazing stuff.

Last edited:
it probably wasnt intentional, but it definately wasnt well thought out.

Agreed

also, i hated the entirely contrived moment when he goes round the garage shaking all the mechanics hands. i know he does it at every race, but it just seems overly cheesey, overly hammed up and completel contrived with the camera following his every move

Michael Schumacher did the same thing (just saying, I am not a fan of Schumacher's, obviously :p)

Agreed

Michael Schumacher did the same thing (just saying, I am not a fan of Schumacher's, obviously :p)

i bet it didnt look half as gimpish tho :p

i just dont like hamilton, hes a great driver...(tho he loses his head a couple of times, which is understandable, the boy just wants to win)... but i dunno its just one of those things, how he comes across and how he is portrayed just rubs me the wrong way.

its just that irrational, un explainable hatred that we humans seem to have for some people no matter what they do. i mean even from the very first minute he appeared on TV i knew i wasnt gonna like him,

so there you go, no you know that...you can just ignore everything i say about hamilton lol :p

couldn't be any closer to the truth at the moment

extra points for championshit at the end.

while im here, i bet ecclestone orchastrates F1 from behind the scenes in to some kind of multi-billion dollar, super hi-tech, year long drama series. i mean some of the stuff thats happened this year only happens in these types of shows.

i bet F1 would actually be pretty borin if the little political side show wasnt present. it happens every year, theres some kind of you-cant-make-this-shit-up controvesy and bam the title comes down to the wire.

i just dont like hamilton, hes a great driver...(tho he loses his head a couple of times, which is understandable, the boy just wants to win)... but i dunno its just one of those things, how he comes across and how he is portrayed just rubs me the wrong way.

its just that irrational, un explainable hatred that we humans seem to have for some people no matter what they do. i mean even from the very first minute he appeared on TV i knew i wasnt gonna like him,

I completely understand mate, no need to justify at all :D. We're all like that, it would be bloody boring if we all liked the same things :lol:.

Damn, I am a Massa fan and a Ferrari fan but today I am ashamed.
Hamilton's penalty is debatable, but Massa's collision should have got him a much worse penalty, what the hell was he thinking? NO WAY that "passing manouver" would end well...also, what the hell was he trying when he crashed into Bourdais? Once again, he should have gotten serious punishment...
*facepalm*

Great race. Good action. Excellent drive by Alonso, but more exciting drive by my man Kubica. Holding off Kimi Robot in that battle was great to watch. Awesome that Hammy spun out, I giggled like a school girl, but I expected Ferrari to go after McLaren in someway to mess them up.

That said, the Bourdais penalty is a bunch of cock shit snot. Why doesnt the FIA just get it over with and have sex with the entire Ferrari team. Yes, an orgy between them, during the Gridwalk.

First the BS penalty in Spa, then taking away Canada's grand prix, and now this.

its just that irrational, un explainable hatred that we humans seem to have for some people no matter what they do. i mean even from the very first minute he appeared on TV i knew i wasnt gonna like him

Its cause deep down Hamilton really is a deushbag, I don't understand how anyone can like him. I feel the same way with the McLaren team in general.

^^ I feel the same. ...

About Massa and Ferrari - only they have 'city hall aka FIA' on their side too and I like the underdog.

The post race comments are both amusing and telling.

On the Massa - Bourdais incident:
Bourdais: ?I don't know what I was supposed to do basically. I could have unrolled the red carpet and given him the corner. That is the only thing I could have done.?
Massa: "As for the incident with Bourdais, I think there's little to say ? I had already entered the turn and he hit me from behind, spinning me round."

On the Hamilton - Massa incident:
Massa: "I think the duel that followed with Hamilton was hard but fair and the drive-through really penalised my race."
Hamilton: "On lap two, Felipe went wide and I went up the inside, giving him room, but he tapped me quite hard into a spin."

On the Raikonnen - Hamilton incident:
Hamilton: "Disappointingly, I didn't make a great start, but I slipstreamed Kimi and went up the inside. I braked a bit late ? but so did everybody. A lot of cars went wide at turn one ? and I just went a bit wider than everyone else."
Raikonnen:"At the start, I got away well but then, at the first corner, the two McLarens arrived too fast at the braking point and prevented me from turning in, taking me off the track."

I wish I could find transcripts of the interviews shown after the highlights, as they were much more telling. To my mind Massa came across as either disingenuous or incompetent. I don't think he's the latter, so I'm not going to listen to a word he says from now on. Hamilton, just seemed to want to suck it up and put it all behind him and Bourdais was quite witty while obviously being very pissed off.

2 points to make.

1. The official reason Bourdais was penalised was because he didn't back off enough... Ferrari fans have to admit that that is bullshit, he was not obliged to back off at all. This really does suggest that Ferrari are being favoured does it not?

2. Leading directly on from point 1 we can say then that in Belgium (RE: 'the incident') Hamilton should not have gone over the chicane because it was up to Raikonnen to back off and give him room around the outside, such that if Hamilton had stayed on the track and Raikonnen had hit him it would have been Raikonnen who would have been penalised.