S12 Car Mod Challenge

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
TG TV's new Mole has a new blog.....

http://transmission.blogs.topgear.com/2008/10/16/more-show-secrets/#comment-916

If you can't be arsed to look at the link they've been challenged to modify a secondhand motor so that it will put in a scorching lap time at the TG Track, although from the outline under the tarp it looks suspiciously like a Vauxhall Zafira or similar. Should be a good spot unless it has the overscripted and contrived feel of similar pieces from Season 11.

the page only shows up as text for me, for some reason. :?

That's a fantastic challenge!

Or rather, that has the potential to be a fantastic challenge!

My guess will be a Renault Espace.
Exactly my thought. They might take it, already having the experience of modifying one - and that one went 100 mph :) Or some other people carrier of sorts.

Sounds great!

My guess is it will be a Hummer.

Don't judge by the picture on the website.
My GUESS is that it's an old picture, look at James' sweater - the same one from season...8? (or maybe 9), and it the same one from the Alfa 159 test (which was filmed at the same time).

Don't judge by the picture on the website.
My GUESS is that it's an old picture, look at James' sweater - the same one from season...8? (or maybe 9), and it the same one from the Alfa 159 test (which was filmed at the same time).

Knowing James' feeling about clothes I would guess he only stops wearing an item of clothing when it's no longer servicable and uses it to clean his motorbike for a while before finally binning it.

Ya James is not big on change... he wears the same stuff quite often... and in other shows he presents as well.

It is not a current model Zafira (I have one - egg on face time do you think?), think it may be something Japanese (Nissan something possibly)- name escapes me at the moment.

Now about a Poll?

It is a UK market MPV of an older variety - there can not be too many of those?

/EDIT My guess ta da - Nissan Prarie / Axxess

Last edited:
It's not very tall (imagine it next to them on the ground), & the seemingly raked angle of the windscreen could just be because they're dragging the cover off & it's stretched.

LMAO, you KNOW it's gonna be funny when someone on Top Gear shows up on the back of an AA truck!!!

It's not very tall (imagine it next to them on the ground), & the seemingly raked angle of the windscreen could just be because they're dragging the cover off & it's stretched.

You have a valid point there - Mitsubishi Space Wagon possibly?

I just came to think of it - they had the Renault F1 car lap the track once, it was the record holder - an they refer to "a very specific - and very brisk - benchmark on the current power board". They seem to be working with Renault a lot (remember Richard driving the F1 car, and the whole Espace things they did over time), so I'm actually quite sure they'll try and get the lap time of an Espace up to that of the F1 car. I know this sounds ambitious, but this is Top Gear :D

I just came to think of it - they had the Renault F1 car lap the track once, it was the record holder - an they refer to "a very specific - and very brisk - benchmark on the current power board". They seem to be working with Renault a lot (remember Richard driving the F1 car, and the whole Espace things they did over time), so I'm actually quite sure they'll try and get the lap time of an Espace up to that of the F1 car. I know this sounds ambitious, but this is Top Gear :D

Renault F1 car doesn't count as it can't get over speed humps and isn't therefore allowed on the Power Board. The Gumpert on the other had can and therefore (currently) tops the board.