Leopard w/ AMD?

My2ndProject

Car(s)
B5 Audi S4
So...I am getting ready to build my new computer system but I have ran into the problem of deciding which OS I want to run. I am leaning towards Leopard but after doing a little research it seems there are some debatable discussions on whether Mac OS's will run on an AMD platform or not.

I am hoping you tech savvy folks can help me make a decision by offering more details on the installation of Leopard on a PC, why it matters if it is AMD or Intel based?

FYI, I am not into computer gaming much at all so this is not an issue between the OS platforms. If you were building a PC would you build it with an Intel chip and run MacOS or would you build it with any processor you wanted and run Vista? Just looking for opinions and suggestions with their reasoning as to why you would choose one over the other.

To be honest, I have no issues with Windows or Vista, just kind of bored with it if that makes any sense.

Last edited:
Well I would just buy a Mac and call it a day =P

BUT if you are planing to build a Hackintosh, you can run OS X on a AMD Machine, its just a bit harder. I have in the past installed OS X on a AMD box using the 10.4 Beta Intel release that was leaked on the net. But i have not tried with any of the newer version of 10.5.

Just google around, I think the OSx86 project is still going so check them out. They will have more info.

Well I would just buy a Mac and call it a day =P

BUT if you are planing to build a Hackintosh, you can run OS X on a AMD Machine, its just a bit harder. I have in the past installed OS X on a AMD box using the 10.4 Beta Intel release that was leaked on the net. But i have not tried with any of the newer version of 10.5.

Just google around, I think the OSx86 project is still going so check them out. They will have more info.

Thanks for your quick reply. I spent a little time googling with no definite answers resulting.

It can be done, but I would avoid making an AMD platform purely for OSX.

I just checked out the OSx86 project and it seems like more of a hassle than its worth for me. When will Apple just make version that is able to be purchased that will just install on a PC much like you can Windows. I don't see why that is such a big deal. I want to be able to walk into Best Buy and purchase whatever OS I want and install it on any PC I want. /rant

Because Apple considers themselves a hardware company, not a software company. According to them, it's Apple vs. Dell, not Apple vs. Microsoft.

And why not consider Ubuntu as your OS, since you aren't going to do much gaming on your PC?

I just checked out the OSx86 project and it seems like more of a hassle than its worth for me. When will Apple just make version that is able to be purchased that will just install on a PC much like you can Windows. I don't see why that is such a big deal. I want to be able to walk into Best Buy and purchase whatever OS I want and install it on any PC I want. /rant

Then it wouldn't be apple. And you wouldn't have the stabillity of the OSX platform, you might as well as revert back to M$.

Hardware conflict is the main reason why PCs crash so easily, which is why Apple have a very strict list of hardwares for their overpriced machine.

Then it wouldn't be apple. And you wouldn't have the stabillity of the OSX platform, you might as well as revert back to M$.

Hardware conflict is the main reason why PCs crash so easily, which is why Apple have a very strict list of hardwares for their overpriced machine.

Thanks for the insight.

As for Ubuntu, I am going to do more research on it now. I have heard about it but never had any experience with any Linux based OSs.

Buy a Mac if you want to run OS X.

The best thing about OS X is that it works very well on Apple's select hardware. Putting it on a random X86 machine is just going to be asking for issues from bad drivers to what have you.

If you're bored try Linux.

So after doing some browsing the past couple of hours I think I have decided to give this Ubuntu a shot. I like the idea of being able to change the whole appearance of the desktop at will not to mention some of the other key features of it. The original Ubuntu design doesn't seem to be as polished but with the free add-ons and downloads available online, it seems like that is a non-issue. Technically it seems sound and I am anxious to try it out.

Hackintosh's are fun to play with if you're into that sort of thing, but as a primary box, it just tends to be a PITA.

Don't waste your time with an AMD, best bet is to go for hardware as close to what apple runs or is available for apples. I have it running on my desktop with no real issues except that my speakers only work in stereo (i.e. only 2.1) and the hard drives are acting a bit slow (still fast but benchmarks don't hold up to other systems). On my laptop I don't have hardwired ethernet working, but wifi works great, sound doesn't work and the video has an odd bug that requires the display to be put to sleep before I can get it into the correct resolution.

I've personally been trying to make the switch to linux. I always ran into roadblocks with getting hardware to work properly, too damn many drivers that only "just work, because thats all the features I need." Well I don't like buying equipment I can only partially use.

If you find yourself needed to use windows or windows apps because the *nix alternatives don't work out for you, like excel spread sheets for me, go download "virtualbox" (there is a closed source version from Sun and an open source version), and run Windows as a guest os. It's what I do and a few of my friends do and works fantastic for anything that doesn't require every last ounce of processing power.

Thanks for the insight.

As for Ubuntu, I am going to do more research on it now. I have heard about it but never had any experience with any Linux based OSs.

If you are just looking for the shiny bits in OSX then go for Ubuntu, the 3d desktop effects are the best if you can configure them correctly.

I honestly don't get the draw to the 3d effects. I haven't noticed a single one that actually does anything to make the UI more useable or faster, just make one go "oh cool" and then after about 20 minutes you'll wonder "why the fuck did I just spend 2 hours trying to get my damn ati video card to work with this?" I really hate the god damned fade in menu effects (this is more of a windows thing) as it counters all the money I just invested into making my system go faster by making it feel slower just so something can fade in or out.

Here is a UI I tried to mimic/build but ultimately ran out of patience/knowledge with linux. I got the basics to work and it was very nice to use, I wish more *nix guys would focus on things that actually improved usability rather than the same shit MS is wasting time on.

http://pemarchandet.free.fr/fvwm.html

I honestly don't get the draw to the 3d effects. I haven't noticed a single one that actually does anything to make the UI more useable or faster

Desktop Zoom (why lean closer to the screen and squint when I can just zoom in on it?)
Desktop Wall + Expo (so much easier to manage four virtual desktops this way)
Window Transparency (it's a lot easier to compare two windows when you can layer one on top of the other like tracing paper)

Yeah, the other 95% of the plugins are completely useless, but they're only there because someone had fun making it.

I second the Ubuntu + VirtualBox comment. I've been running Linux as my only OS (not strictly true, I have an XP partition on my laptop that is just big enough for one windows game, currently Bioshock) for a year or more now, and I absolutely love it.

If most of what you do is browse the web and listen to music, you should have no trouble switching, and OpenOffice is about as powerful as MS Office.

Hackintoshes are amusing, but as mentioned above tend to only work well with identical hardware to what is in real Macs, and are not worth using as a primary computer. If you like OSX, go buy a mac. The headaches you save will far outweigh the extra money, and the refurbished items on the Mac store are not too overpriced anyway.

How hard is Ubuntu to install? I remember back in the day you had to compile your own?

My Eee came with XP Home, but I wouldn't mind trying out some distro of Linux. Last time I gave Linux a try I tried Corel Linux and I couldn't even get my NIC card to work... this was back in 2001ish.

Is Ubuntu the best offering out there as a windows alternative?

Let me put it another way, if I wanted DirectX 10 and 4gig ram and all that fun stuff, are there any other options besides Vista? Anything at all?

Is Ubuntu the best offering out there as a windows alternative?

Watch out dude, you're getting into religious wars here. ;D

I don't think anything's objectively better than Ubuntu, as long as your hardware is supported.

Let me put it another way, if I wanted DirectX 10 and 4gig ram and all that fun stuff, are there any other options besides Vista? Anything at all?

You can only get Dx10 on Vista.

64-bit Ubuntu works fine on supported hardware.