What's the most heart-wrenching thing you've ever seen?

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf

Did it make you angry? Sad? Helpless?

I was working in a record store, and I saw a young guy (19-22 about) outside cross in front of our open doorway. He had one leg missing (clearly a recent alteration) and he was walking on crutches.

Just before he moved out-of site through our front windows, two jack-ass dip-wads ran up from behind, and kicked the crutch our from underneath him on his load-bearing side, and he fell over.

I could see that the way he fell he was going to be fine, but in a sort-of-rage I ran outside, and was going to start after the scum.

As I looked down, he was laying flat on his back, staring into the sky, ignoring everyone around him, his eyes filling with tears...not saying a word, no movement in his face. Just a stone look up into the clouds.

Eventually, someone did bring back the crutch (they found it on the ground elsewhere in the mall) but it had been bent. He got up, grabbed it, whispered "thank you" to the person who brought it back, and then left.

I would chop those bastards legs off and beat them to death with them :shakefist:

The worst thing I ever saw was an old lady in Milan by the front gates of the Castello Sforzesco, around Christmas. She was about 4 feet tall and hunched over with thick, fogged-up glasses and shabby clothes. Her pleas for spare change fell on deaf ears, as rich tourists strolled past her without even a sideways glance. All of a sudden she starts crying, tears streaming down her face, with the most pitiful mouse-squeak voice. I gave her a few coins and she responded passionately, "thank you, thank you, thank you very much!"In Italian, of course, so I didn't understand a thing.

It was the least I could do. :cry:

On a happier note, I was at a Dropkick Murphys concert when I saw a guy in a wheelchair crowd surfing. It taught me that there's still hope for humanity yet.

Last edited:
I've had a simillar experience to NecroJoe's.

It was during the summer and I was with a friend drinking coffee in a coffee shop on the main street in my hometown. It was the tourist season and there was a lot of people walking on the street.
There was this disabled person, begging for money. He had no lower part of the body. It was sad just looking at him. People were dropping coins in his basket. And then came two teenagers who started making fun of him and calling him names. I got furious, and so did the people around them, so a couple of people from the crowd pushed them and made them keep walking.
I knew it would't help much, but I went to the guy and gave him $20.

Did it make you angry? Sad? Helpless?

I was working in a record store, and I saw a young guy (19-22 about) outside cross in front of our open doorway. He had one leg missing (clearly a recent alteration) and he was walking on crutches.

Just before he moved out-of site through our front windows, two jack-ass dip-wads ran up from behind, and kicked the crutch our from underneath him on his load-bearing side, and he fell over.

This is the kind of thing I ask the deeply religious people that come knocking on my door and talk about the 2nd coming of Christ... why would he want to help a society that could be so cruel?

This is the kind of thing I ask the deeply religious people that come knocking on my door and talk about the 2nd coming of Christ... why would he want to help a society that could be so cruel?

Because in the whole scope of it, the good far outweighs the bad; it is human nature to focus on the negative, horrible and cruel because it is rare and alarming to society as a whole.

"...In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." -Anne Frank.

Words to live by. I live by this: both positive and negative attitudes spread easily. Under what influence would you like your life to be dictated by?

Earlier this year I was out 'clubbing' and while standing in a queue to get into one particular establishment, I saw this guy who was about 18 years old running up the street. When he got to the corner of the street where we were standing he tripped over his own feet, and stumbled onto the road, as he put his arms down to try and get his balance, a car coming up the road doing about 40km/h hit him in the side of his head. He was knocked out cold, there were police officers on patrol in the street we were in who were able to provide first aid and call an ambulance. I remember seeing the people in the car in total shock and a mark on the front of their car where it contacted the young guys head. He was lying in the middle of the road unconscious, with blood running down his face. It was not a nice thing to witness. It is sad to think that this young fella's life may have ended prematurely that night.

I don't know if he survived or ended up with any major injuries, brain damage etc. I didn't end up going into the club, later on I went back to the scene of the accident and asked a Police Officer there how he was doing and all he could tell me was "He was still alive when the ambulance took him away, but I don't know if he survived the trip to the hospital."

A big dog (upon recollection, it kinda looked like the dogs from Quake) touched me with its nose, and made a wet spot on my pants. Its owner yelled at it and it ran towards the road, got hit by a small van, which braked hard, but couldn't stop in time. It hit the dog and kept going. There was a puddle of blood around the dog's head afterwards - its owner broke down in tears. I was poo'd for the rest of the day.

If I were American I'd probably be blaming myself for it. :p

So is this the "I'm feeling too good about life and need to be depressed" thread? No thanks!

When I was in 8th grade, I saw a small girl (about 7 or 8 years old) at my school, crying and shouting desperately, sorrounded by a couple of adults.

A teacher told us that the little girl had just been told that her dad was killed in a car accident. :cry::cry:

OK, why would the school teachers tell her that? Couldn't they wait for her mother and have her tell her kid that? And maybe they could advise the mother to tell her about it at home ... you know?

OK, why would the school teachers tell her that? Couldn't they wait for her mother and have her tell her kid that? And maybe they could advise the mother to tell her about it at home ... you know?

Her mother was also in the car, although she was not seriously injured. I still remember that there was a fierce debate among the teachers afterwards about how should they tell her and who should tell her, I don't know about any other relatives (grandparents etc) but there must have been a reason why they told her...

Last edited: