The 'look' of Top Gear

Cusson

Car(s)
Subaru WRX
One of the things I've really come to love about Top Gear is how the show has developed its own unique look. The post-production of the series is top notch and most of the films look like million dollar productions. I'm wondering if anyone knows the post-production process for the films on Top Gear. What editing and touch up software is used for the footage. If I had to guess, I'd say they use either Adobe After Effects or Apple Color for the unique appearance they achieve with their films. I'm also curious as to what kind of cameras the film crew uses. Anyone who knows more about the BBC's production process, post up!

An acquaintance of mine from England worked in television there and tells me that Top Gear gets all their post production done at BBC Bristol. The website details their facilities.

Actually, that's a really good question. I'd like to know that too, among wanting to become best friends with the cinematographer. The guy/girl's a complete and utter genius.
For your question, I do know they use a hell of a lot of filters. ;-)

And there's another thread with sorta of the same thing asked: Here

Last edited:
Can't help much with the technicalities but one of the things that came out after Hammond's crash was that while most shows broadcast 1 minute of footage for every 20 minutes filmed, Top Gear's ratio is nearer to 200:1. Also the Veyron race took the editor over a month working 16 hour days to edit for about 20 minutes of broadcast footage. Might go some way to explaining how the show looks so good.

In the Behind the Scenes of Clarkson's DVD last year, you can really see the difference between a normal, nightly-news type camera (what they used for the behind the scenes footage) and the beautiful rich colors that result from the real things with all their filters and such.

Alot is done in camera the 'old skool' way ie filters/special lenses etc but they do add alot of post shoot effects. As a Photographer i'd have no idea what software they'd use though. But i'll ask about with the folk that might or should know.. As i wouldn't mind knowning myself.. intresting to see how they achieve such effects with video..

You could always sent them an email at Bristol?

Looks like they use Lustre for grading (color correction), Smoke for compositing, and then FCP/Avid for editing.

I, for one, would definitely be interested in learning the technical aspects of how they achieve the look that they do for their shots if anyone knows.

Cameras used are usually Sony XD Cam, With bullet cameras hooked up to XDCam video decks somewhere on the car. They also use [or at least did at the 24 hours] Sony Z1 HDV cameras for extra shots.