Looks like the GT-R isn't so great after all...

I know ppl who uses L/C on their SMG II / SMG III gearbox on a weekly basis, and even after a full year of hard launches, the clutch survived without the need of being replaced.

If somehow the clutch can not survive serveral hard launches, I will simply blame it on the car/manufacturer.

No AMG Mercedes has a clutch.

AMG's and BMW M-series are rear wheel driven. Not as critical as AWD cars in that sector. I believe that was said before...

I know ppl who uses L/C on their SMG II / SMG III gearbox on a weekly basis, and even after a full year of hard launches, the clutch survived without the need of being replaced.

If somehow the clutch can not survive serveral hard launches, I will simply blame it on the car/manufacturer.

Even those (at least when I've seen them launch) have some wheel slip thanks to a significantly reduced amount of traction to AWD. You can't launch a BMW at 5k+ revs and it grab and go like you can on an EVO or Syclone.

Yeah, amazing. I think I'll post that up in another thread later and see what the Porsche apologists who claimed the PDK would NEVER do this have to say.

And this one didn't even have the excuse of abuse and multiple launch control starts!

Did Porsche blame the driver and stiff them on the warranty?

No one ever said a complicated gearbox wouldn't have failures.

Yeah, amazing. I think I'll post that up in another thread later and see what the Porsche apologists who claimed the PDK would NEVER do this have to say.

And this one didn't even have the excuse of abuse and multiple launch control starts!

As someone pointed out in that thread, the cynic in me thinks that it could just be a bit of a bitchfight about the GTR.

Hi, I got a new 911 with a PDK gearbox about 10 days ago. It's spent the last 5 days back at the garage, as the gearbox locks itself in one gear, and "gearbox failure" or something similar comes up on the display.

The garage and the factory don't know what's wrong and are trying to work out how to fix it.

Has anyone else had problems with the PDK gearbox?

Thanks

They don't know what the error that came up on their brand new car....?

This sounds like a legitimate factory defect actually, if it is true. Gearbox being in one gear sounds like "limp mode" to me, meaning that electronic brain thinks something is seriously wrong with the car and it is unsafe to drive.

And our attention has been brought to that other forum discussion, because...???

No one ever noticed that the TGAus R35 was a full manual ?

Its about time Nissan released their own manual GTR imo.

That was a mistake with editing, they showed the interior of a BMW while showing the exterior shot of the GT-R.

Apparently, you never noticed that we all noticed and said so in the episode discussion thread. Also, there is no GT-R with a manual gearbox, since it only is available with a double clutch. :rolleyes:

Our family doctor had a Turbo, he needed the engine replaced under warranty because he "drove too slowly" and the dealer said they wouldn't do it again... so he bought a Lambo.

(I know it doesn't add anything to the discussion, I just thought it was amusing)

Our family doctor had a Turbo, he needed the engine replaced under warranty because he "drove too slowly" and the dealer said they wouldn't do it again... so he bought a Lambo.
It's fairly well known that performance engines don't like to just limp around. Especially turbocharged ones, as they tend to soot up if they don't get revved properly every now and then, and if it's in a cold place it might not reach working temperature. For instance, it's actually recommended that Mazda's rotary engines are revved all the way to the red line now and then (but then again you would have to, to make the car move).

If he drives the Lamborghini similarly it's a fat chance he might get the same issues.

It's fairly well known that performance engines don't like to just limp around. Especially turbocharged ones, as they tend to soot up if they don't get revved properly every now and then, and if it's in a cold place it might not reach working temperature. For instance, it's actually recommended that Mazda's rotary engines are revved all the way to the red line now and then (but then again you would have to, to make the car move).

If he drives the Lamborghini similarly it's a fat chance he might get the same issues.

Yeah, but Lambos don't let you drive them slow.

Yep, I knew that. My old man offered to take it out for a spin now and then but he respectfully declined ;). I just can't fathom people who go out and buy one of the fastest autos available knowing full well that they'll use it for the occasional country drive, he should have bought a Beemer or a Merc.

The reason why I cannot accept Nissan's refusal to pay for the damage, is because of their own hypocrisy: "Alright, we designed a car specifically for video gamers, had it even be partly designed by video gamers. But you cannot expect us to pay for the damage, when the car is used like in a video game."

If the clutch and gearbox failed while driving normaly due to an abnormality in the gearbox then its fair to say that Nissan should and would be obliged to carry out the nessessary repairs under warrenty. However if the guy was driving like a twat (and Nissan will know because the box records everything) then Nissan are well within their rights to refuse to pay for it, which I think is fair enough.

Warrentys are put into place to cover any abnormalitys that may occur during the vehicles lifetime, not as an easy way out of replacing something that the owner fucked by doing the wrong thing.

You wouldn't take a Tv back to the retailer after you backed over it with your car and expect a free replacement would you?