Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

actually, can you tell me what I need to do to be pulled over by Italian police? Because I was there 6 or so months ago, drove like a complete idiot (aka an Italian) and no cop batted an eyelid

what do you have to do to get pulled over? run someone over?

I don't know, but I'll use any excuse to post Craig Ferguson's opinion of the Italian police... :lol:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPX3Cofk2XU[/YOUTUBE]

lol. I hardly went slower than 180 kph on the highways and there wasn't a cop in sight to stop me

interesting.... you must have been in the wrong (right) part of italy then.... the touristy highways, where all the germans drive on, like from the brenner southwards, are notorious speed traps for german tourists.

interesting.... you must have been in the wrong (right) part of italy then.... the touristy highways, where all the germans drive on, like from the brenner southwards, are notorious speed traps for german tourists.

that's exactly the road I took, the autostrado brennero and then to lake Garda :lol:

I had another moment earlier where an idea popped into my head.

Can LCD technology be applied to thin layer film? Glass, maybe? To allow light to be blocked, and this blocking to be switched on and off?

If this is possible, I envisage a spoiler hidden in the rear window of a car (or the boot of a car like the Civic), which is normally invisible but turns black when it lifts up. You could even go the whole hog and have DeLorean style fins which pop up. Menacing sweetness!

I had another moment earlier where an idea popped into my head.

Can LCD technology be applied to thin layer film? Glass, maybe? To allow light to be blocked, and this blocking to be switched on and off?

If this is possible, I envisage a spoiler hidden in the rear window of a car (or the boot of a car like the Civic), which is normally invisible but turns black when it lifts up. You could even go the whole hog and have DeLorean style fins which pop up. Menacing sweetness!

My watch has that technology...it has a digital face that is usually hidden thanks to a second LCD layer on top that normally blocks light, but when activated it becomes clear and opens up. Might be difficult and fragile in that large an application though.

Is the Subaru Exiga a good car? It's fairly cheap for a 7 seater 4wd turbo'ed car. Is it worth buying the 2.0GT top-of-the-range model with panoramic roof and some toys?

2009_Subaru_Exiga_20_fw.jpg

^ But it's Japanese...

Isn't it for your dad? It looks a little rice-y to be honest in that trim, not sure if that's his look? :p

Yeah, dads don't generally like ricey cars. I couldn't get mine to get that STi, ended up settling for a Mazdaspeed6 which is very un-rice.

... My Explorer's electronics seem to have developed a rather quirky mind of their own.
My windshield wiper, when set to the lowest level of continuous, will go for awhile..
Then stop.
Then wipe once.
Then stop.
Then intermittently wipe a few times.
Then stop.
Then go back to normal.
Sometimes when I turn it to one of the intervals, it will wipe a few times, stop, appear to "think about" wiping, decide against it, wait awhile more, then go to continuous for 4-5 wipes.
And I don't care.
This truck, this behemoth that struggles to manage 15mpg, with crumpled door (My fault), muddy tires (My fault), scratched bumpers, and quirky electonics, has such an interesting character.
No, I do not name my cars.
But sometimes it's like it speaks to me... I've made a connection with this thing, this 140,000 mile Ford truck, this workhorse.
It's character is quirky, odd, weird maybe, but always, always dependable. I feel like I could depend on this thing to get me from California to New York without missing a beat, without falling apart, without breaking down.
Sure, the panel gaps aren't the best, the leather seats are worn, the stereo isn't very good, and unlocking the driver's side door is a pain (Doesn't work sometimes, ever since the door got crumpled).
But... this unspeakable something, this... thing. It makes me smile when I clamber in to the driver's seat.
I love this thing.

^ But it's Japanese...

Isn't it for your dad? It looks a little rice-y to be honest in that trim, not sure if that's his look? :p

HAHA. Yep, for my dad. I can't be thinking about buying a car with 3 more years till I get my license! :p Anyway, my dad's now seriously desperate for a 7 seat-mobile to transport his Chinese clients since our Beemer is way too cramped. Subaru is an alien brand in Mainland China (except Hong Kong), and it's reasonably not-overpriced with a turbo and a panoramic roof, so it's much better than a Toyota etc. :D

His ideal car would be a Q7 or the likes, since he runs the company for his billionaire cousin. But with the bad economy, he's thinking of getting something cheap to run for a year or 2, then upgrade if things get better.

Yeah, dads don't generally like ricey cars. I couldn't get mine to get that STi, ended up settling for a Mazdaspeed6 which is very un-rice.

Well, we want a cool car to impress and transport the clients with :p For being a big cock on the roads he still has the Beemer E90 320i :lol:

Dreaming of a 13B turbo powered MX-5...

I just cannot stop orgasming over this Bianco Ferrari 166MM Barchetta <3:

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/10/27/800px-Ferrari_166MM_Barchetta.JPG

It's truly on of the most beautiful Ferraris of all time. The curves, the long bonnet riding-on-the-rear-wheels feel is something truly magical. And just look at that ":O" front. Sure, it looks odd, but when you put it into perspective with the whole car, it just 'works'. Not to mention the 2.0 L Colombo V12 under the bonnet. What I find amazing is that Enzo only built 39 of these and most of them went racing. :eek:

The only other two that I can see which are more beautiful than this are the 250 GT SWB Berlinetta Competitzione and the 250 GTO.

I want someone to buy my car so I can then buy a manual Liberty sedan.

Last edited:

There's probably no LHD American car in Singapore, minus some special cars like the Ford GT (owned by the only local Ford dealer). I've never seen a Corvette. Not a Mustang. Not even the godawful Taurus. Never a huge American muscle V8 :( I've seen a Cadillac Seville ONCE, the Ford dealer's GT, and that's about it. That's why even a RHD Chrysler 300C HEMI will make me drool :lol:

For some of them, it's because they have automatics and they're releasing some of the pressure on the brake pedal.

For others, it's because they think it WILL make the light turn green sooner, but don't know why or how so it might as well be magic.

For me, it's because I can see where the magnetic sensor has been embedded in the pavement and if I don't put the magnet clamped to my bike's frame over one of the loops, the idiot light will NEVER change.