NBC Still Snubbing Top Gear US

RommieSG

Car(s)
Ford Probe LX
NBC just released a press release about the restructuring of their primetime lineup, and once again Top Gear is not listed in it's lineup.

The total lack of news about Top Gear US is starting to disturb me, after the quickness of the casting and airing of Top Gear Australia, and the possible airing of Top Gear Russia starting in November?

Top Gear US shot it's pilot in July, and I'm sure they've shot material since then. So while they haven't put it in the lineup, why haven't they at least given out some progress news?

Maybe they've decided that it sucks?

It's an American network, I wouldn't hold my breath on anything. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if TG USA just disappeared all together without any explanation or airing of material.

That's just what they do over at these studios. They were put on this Earth to senselessly and without any logic commission shit and cancel worthy programs.

And you know what, I've never thought about this, but how does a car program even fit into NBC's primetime schedule? It's a little weird seeing stuff other than serials and stupid reality 'shows' on American primetime TV. Sure in the UK Top Gear is now a full blown entertainment program, but for US viewers I'm guessing it would just come across as a nerdy car show, which would be very weird to see during primetime.

It's supposedly is a mid-season replacement, so that's why you haven't heard anything about it.

They should have just gotten Speed to broadcast it. :p

Its possible it didnt get picked up. Top gear isnt really big in the US at all, and the green movement/lobby has a suprising amount of pull.

there is also the small chance it might be sent to another network for airing. I think their is a NBC produced show on ABC. They could also be planing to send it to Discovery channel.

It's supposedly is a mid-season replacement, so that's why you haven't heard anything about it.
That is my thoughts as well. Or possibly even a summer show.

Their lineup is jam packed right now. Since you can shoot the in-studio bits on very, very short notice, Top Gear is basically a as-needed show. I imagine they won't air it until they need it. It's no Heroes.

I thought they're too busy with their head up NASCAR's asses?

They did have Fifth Gear for a little while, but like everything else it didn't last.

Could it be that the network has some second thoughts because of the economy? Perhaps they feel that a show about cars may not be the right move at the moment.

Could it be that the network has some second thoughts because of the economy? Perhaps they feel that a show about cars may not be the right move at the moment.
Doubt it. TV is escapism. Or were you able to afford all of the cars featured on Top Gear UK until this year when the economy went to shit? :p

But seriously, my inside sources at the BBC literally have heard nothing from NBC about the show which means it hasn't been passed over.

Monday is supposed to be new top gear for season 12 on BBC but as far as the american version the pilot could of not pulled enough votes for it to be aired for this season.

So they keep going with Knight Rider and possibly cancel TGA? <_<

TGA will undoubtedly air in late spring or early summer of '09 on NBC. Why? Because that is the best time to dump a show that the network either doesn't want or doesn't understand but picked up because another wanted it. The idea seems to be that they will kill what could be a great show by tinkering with it, recasting, reshooting, and putting it in a timeslot where nobody in its target audience will ever see it. By airing the show on a Friday or Saturday night in spring/summer NBC can almost guarantee that TGA will not be watched by enough viewers to justify airing the show beyond 3 episodes and they prevent a competitor like FOX (or even CBS) from picking up a show that they could market and profit from. Remember, after May sweeps tv viewership drops by over half as people find more reasons to be out of the house and away from the telly.

Yes, I have a very low opinion of NBC right now as they are killing quality shows I watch (Chuck and Life) by putting them in terrible time slots while spending a fortune promoting one of the worst shows on tv (Knight Rider).

So they keep going with Knight Rider and possibly cancel TGA? <_<

Yes, exactly. US networks are pretty much totally flipped. Every decent show gets canceled and every bad show is given a long run. There are very few exceptions to this fact with them.