2008 Brazilian Formula 1 Grand Prix ? Title Decider

Err, I get what you mean here.

Kimi has five times as many 'fastest lap of the entire GP-weekend' compared number two on the list. When the difference is that big, it is kind of obvious. What this shows is the absolute fastest lap of the entire weekend, qualifying included. So I can't see how this can mean anything else than that Kimi is currently - on an ultimate lap - the fastest driver in F1.

Now I've been watching F1 for a year now but even I know that those fastest times are only counted if they're set during the race, not the whole weekend. Fastest laps are set during the qualifying usually and looking at the results where Kimi has 2 poles and Lewis 7 with Massa 5, Lewis is faster.

Now I've been watching F1 for a year now but even I know that those fastest times are only counted if they're set during the race, not the whole weekend. Fastest laps are set during the qualifying usually and looking at the results where Kimi has 2 poles and Lewis 7 with Massa 5, Lewis is faster.

Don't forget that the times in Q1 and Q2 are usually considerably faster than Q3. Massa is the one who usually seems to put in a very fast time in Q2 so I would guess he actually has the most fastest laps of the entire weekend.

1) Who will take Pole and who will win the Race?
Massa pole and win
2) Which three drivers will be on the podium?
Felipe, Kimi, Lewis
3) Who will win the Drivers Championship?
Lewis
4) Do McLaren have a realistic chance of winning the Constructors Championship?
No
5) What has been your highlight of the 2008 season?
Spa battle
6) What has been your lowlight of the 2008 season?
Stewards decisions, and what caused us F1 fans to distance ourselves based on them. It's a shame, sports are meant to bring people together and have good competition. That is what Formula one is all about, and unfortunately FIA is damaging the cause.
7) What are you most looking forward to about the 2009 season?
Slicks + less wings = more overtaking (which already this season we saw plenty of overtaking, maybe because TC is gone)

Don't forget that the times in Q1 and Q2 are usually considerably faster than Q3. Massa is the one who usually seems to put in a very fast time in Q2 so I would guess he actually has the most fastest laps of the entire weekend.

Also remember that noone is risking too much in Q2 as theres no need to be first, just in top 10.

1) Who will take Pole and who will win the Race?
History means you would put money on Massa. He finds another gear at this circuit, as do all Brazilian drivers for some reason. However he has never had this kind of pressure on him before. Nonetheless I will still say he will take pole and the race.

2) Which three drivers will be on the podium?
Massa, Raikonnen and Hamilton in that order.

3) Who will win the Drivers Championship?
Given my answer to 2 I have to say Lewis, however I do have this niggling feeling in the back of my head that something is going to go disasterously wrong for Lewis. Heikki's recent problems and the fact that Lewis' car hasn't had a mechanical gremlin all year. Doesn't bode well.

4) Do McLaren have a realistic chance of winning the Constructors Championship?
No, Kimi has regained a significant upper hand over Heikki so given their large lead can't see them losing it.

If I had to name one, it would be easy and I can't believe no-one has mentioned it. The banning of traction control has easily been one of the best decisions ever in the sport. It means there is no such thing as a boring grand prix any more. Lewis' slide in Turn 8 at Turkey, Heikki's drifting at Silverstone, Kimi wheelspinning into 5th at Spa all come to mind. Plenty more highlights though. Vettel's first win, Alonso's back to back, some great overtaking. The closeness of the field as well, in one way it is a shame that we don't have one more year of the current regs as I think it would bring up some very very strange results next year given the whole field is covered by less than 2 seconds.

Inconsistency of stewards decisions must come first. Hopefully this will be a problem rectified before next year, but I won't hold me breath. On a more personal note, Lewis' shunting Kimi in Canada, Kimi's lack of pace in the second half meaning he isn't a title contender :( Ferrari's appalling mistakes this year. The 45degree heat at the Australian GP :lol:

Hopefully the new regulations do EXACTLY as they are meant to and allow the cars to dive all over one another. Slick tyres should give the drivers lots more confidence if nothing else. Hopefully a Kimi resurgence (he has 9,000kilometres of testing over the summer!!!!!) and BMW being strong. Would love to see Honda back near the front with Ruebens and Jenson. The same can be said for Red Bull with Webber and Vettel however I am dubious whether it will be that great a year for them next year.

Here are my thoughts on some of the questions...

Would have to be Sebastian Vettel's maiden GP win at Italy and the announcement that he'll be joining Mark Webber at Red Bull next year.

The pathetic decisions the stewards made and the FIA's plan to introduce standard engines.

The new regulations (KERS, slicks etc.) and Webber and Vettel at Red Bull.

Enjoy the race everyone, I'm off on Holidays tomorrow, hopefully it'll be a good race. See you all in a few weeks. ;)

Hamilton versus Massa - the title permutations for Brazil

Either McLaren?s Lewis Hamilton or Ferrari?s Felipe Massa will be crowned 2008 drivers? champion at this weekend?s Brazilian Grand Prix. With a seven-point lead, Hamilton is very much the favourite, but as we saw at Interlagos last year - when outsider Kimi Raikkonen came from behind to win - anything is possible. Here is what each man needs in order to take the title?

Hamilton will be champion if:
- He finishes fifth or higher
- He finishes sixth and Massa is second or lower
- He finishes seventh and Massa is second or lower
- He finishes eighth and Massa is third or lower
- He fails to score and Massa is third or lower

Massa will be champion if:
- He wins and Hamilton finishes sixth or lower
- He finishes second and Hamilton is eighth or lower

If the pair are tied on points at the end of Sunday afternoon (which would happen is Massa wins with Hamilton sixth, or if Massa finishes second with Hamilton eighth), Massa would win the title by virtue of more victories (six to Hamilton?s five) or more second-place finishes (three to Hamilton?s two).

In the constructors? championship, Ferrari?s 11-point advantage over McLaren heading to Brazil puts them in a powerful position, while BMW Sauber?s 10-point deficit to McLaren means they still have an outside chance of stealing second place.
http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2008/10/8599.html

An Ideal result for me in Brazil is: Heikki wins, Lewis second, one of the Ferrari's finishes out of the points.

McLaren need to do everything in their power to get Heikki the win imo, and have Lewis coming in second (or vice versa, but it would be nice to see Heikki win another).

I think they'll get Heikki to run light to mess with the Ferraris, and fuel Lewis slightly heavier and more conservative, and tell him to be really carefull in turn 1...

I personally would like to see Hamilton and Massa have an incident at Turn 1, Hamilton can't recover and Massa is to the back of the field, and he has to race to his championship. Boy would that be exciting - a schumacher06esque run-.

but i think the order will be massa hamilton(due to the conservative strategy), kimi.

good season. HOpefully the whole FOM/FIA issues get sorted before the start of 09.

A light-hearted touch from Formula1.com...

http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2008/10/8598.html

DC's career in numbers, but not as you'd expect.

Superman to New York cop - Coulthard?s career in numbers

This weekend will mark David Coulthard?s 246th and last Grand Prix start, as the Scottish veteran finally calls time on his competitive Formula One career after a staggering 15 seasons on the grid. To mark the occasion, current employers Red Bull have come up with a few interesting facts and figures about the man?

Prior to the Brazilian Grand Prix, David Coulthard?s:
- taken part in 245 Grands Prix
- had 13 wins, 62 podiums, 18 fastest laps, 12 pole positions
- best championship finish is 2nd in 2001
- scored 535 points
- driven for 3 teams
- started from the front row 37 times
- done 55,400 interviews
- worn 160 race suits, 140 helmets, 85 pairs of gloves, 1 space suit
- middle name is Marshall
- done 31,332 hours of fitness training
- the only man to wear a Superman costume on an F1 podium
- taken 1927 flights
- had 7 team mates
- got his own museum that sells DC ?baby-grows?
- eaten 432 chickens for lunch
- done 22 fashion shows
- dressed up as a New York policeman once

Autosport Live weather said:
Wed 14:56 Weather forecasts are beginning to become a little more stable in the run up to the Brazilian Grand Prix at Interlagos.

During the early part of this week, the weather data models and predictions have thrown up a stream of different weather scenarios for the race weekend - all variations of a mainly wet theme.

Finally, just 48 hours before the event begins, the forecasts are beginning to settle down with minimal change since Tuesday.

On Friday some overnight showers will clear away, leaving the Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace mainly dry through the morning. Further showers are expected in the afternoon, continuing on into the evening. The air temperature will rise to 21 degrees Celsius in the afternoon.

Saturday should be mainly dry, with a small chance of some sprinkles. The period when the Formula One cars are out on the circuit is expected to be the driest spell of weather throughout the event, with the temperature continuing to be 21 degrees.

Overnight, into Sunday, the shower potential returns once again and showers are expected during Sunday morning and also crucially in the afternoon. The shower risk increases as the afternoon develops - a rain-affected Grand Prix at this stage looks likely. The air temperature will increase slightly to 22 degrees on raceday.

As always, the devil is in the detail, and tomorrow we will look again at the weather situation for the weekend, and naturally provide a detailed forecast ahead of the Friday running at Interlagos.

Holy shit...usually I'd be happy, but I don't want a lottery...not now...

Yeah, but I wouldn't want Lewis to win the championship with a DNF...better would be another Silverstone...

A race similar to the 2003 Brazilian GP would make for an interesting end to the season ;)