Spy Shots: 2010 Nissan 370Z

^ Promising exhaust note at around the 1:00min mark. Looks like they're benchmarking against a Z4 & a Cayman.

Looks good.

Are they going to stop making the 350Z then, when this comes out?

If so, I am impressed, since the 350Z is about the weight as my car, 3200 pounds. Pretty light already for a modern car. The interior is an improvement, too.

Looks like a fatter 350Z, and thats not a good thing.

Here's what I found:

http://www.motortrend.com/future/fu...totype_details/weight_savings_and_design.html

It's lighter -- probably: This one area where we can only speculate, since we weren't allowed to weigh the new Z. But it very well could be lighter, as the car has lost significant length and only gained only a bit in width. As for rumors of a larger engine, which could offset losses elsewhere? We'll get to those later, because we found additional evidence of weight savings due changes in materials and structure.

We had heard rumors Nissan might be replacing a few of the high tensile steel body panels with either composites (a la BMW M3) or aluminum (used for the 350Z's hood). To confirm what is steel and what is not on the new Z, we used a simple test: running a magnet over all the major body panels.

Our magnet did not attach to the front or rear fascia or hood -- which wasn't surprising as these have traditionally been made of non-ferrous materials (urethane/aluminum). It stuck to the front and rear fenders, as well as the roof, which wasn't surprising either. When we got to the doors and rear hatch, our magnet failed to attach. Tapping these panels revealed a definite metallic tone. What does this mean? While they could be composite, they are more than likely aluminum. Either way, this would mean significant weight savings. If you've ever hoisted the rear hatch of a 350Z, an aluminum piece could mean a big difference.

When we peered through the rear hatch glass we noticed further evidence of weight reduction. Gone is the massive brace that ties the 350Z's rear strut towers together. Instead, the Z mule had a much thinner pipe-shaped brace directly behind the seats.

I love the 350Z, so this looks great in my eyes. Surely it could just be the 2nd generation 350Z though?

I love the 350Z, so this looks great in my eyes. Surely it could just be the 2nd generation 350Z though?

As stated earlier in the thread, the number refers to the displacement. By giving it greater displacement, it will have higher power/torque. More power and/or torque equals more fun.

Looks like a fatter 350Z, and thats not a good thing.

Just the other day, I was on my way home from work when at a stop light there was a 350Z and right next to it was a 300ZX (both were unmolested, stock examples). The 300 looked so much nicer than the 350. It was lower, looked wider... it looked more like a sports car than the 350 does.

Yep I think part of the problem is that a new car today HAS to be more spacious than the model it replaces, so they grow bigger and bigger. Well that was true until now, now some manufacturers start downsizing their cars again because fuel economy comes back into the equation.

Just the other day, I was on my way home from work when at a stop light there was a 350Z and right next to it was a 300ZX (both were unmolested, stock examples). The 300 looked so much nicer than the 350. It was lower, looked wider... it looked more like a sports car than the 350 does.

I have the exact opposite reaction - to me the 300Z looks fat & if anything grand-tourish (don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the 300Z), while the 350Z looks much more dynamic & "light".

I have the exact opposite reaction - to me the 300Z looks fat & if anything grand-tourish (don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the 300Z), while the 350Z looks much more dynamic & "light".

To me the front of the 350 is what makes it look fat as opposed to the 300. The 300 has a better split between bumper and hood on the 350 they look like one piece making it look huge.

I hope it doesn't have those stupid Maxima lights. If it does......FAIL!

While I don't like 'em on the maxima, I think they work here.

I say it looks pretty good. Better than the current 350Z imo.

First official look at 370Z

The first official images of Nissan?s glamorous new Z car have been revealed ahead of its world debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show in November.

The 370Z, named after its 3.7 litre V6 engine, is Nissan?s first ground-up redesign of the 350Z introduced here in 2003.

The company says its new model will be available at dealers from early next year, and full specifications will be revealed on November 19th. Expect pricing to start close to the current model?s ?27k in spite of a distinct improvement to the 370Z?s perceived ?quality feel?.

The pictures reveal a swoopy new style that evokes the classic Zs even more strongly than the outgoing coupe, with an aggressively kicked up window line, powerfully flared wheelarches and striking new light clusters. Other changes include the loss of the current model?s ?power bulge? and its side indicators, while the wheels have been upgraded to 19ins alloys ? and as the pics show there?s an all new interior.

The car?s overall dimensions appear to have changed too, with a shorter, squatter and wider stance indicating there maybe worthwhile upgrade in dynamic ability. As well as shorter overhangs there has been a reduction in wheelbase and a broadening of the 370Zs track, but we?ll have to wait for factory specs to confirm the details.

The changes have been made possible by the use of a new platform for the latest Z ? shared with Nissan?s Infiniti G37 from which the 370Z also gets its V6 powerplant. This engine makes 316bhp in the Infiniti coupe, but previous media speculation has indicated the Z-car might do a little better ? perhaps with up to 330bhp.

http://img232.imageshack.**/img232/3117/370z1lks2.jpg
http://img232.imageshack.**/img232/7096/370z2ldo7.jpg
http://img232.imageshack.**/img232/2200/370z3lpi1.jpg

Haven't decided yet whether I actually like it or not. The design is certainly more interesting that before, not convinced it's actually better.

That is the ugliest thing I have seen in quite a while. My butt is honestly more attractive than that thing.

What the hell are they smoking at Nissan to have come up with these retarded lights? They are so, so ghastly.

That is the ugliest thing I have seen in quite a while. My butt is honestly more attractive than that thing.

What the hell are they smoking at Nissan to have come up with these retarded lights? They are so, so ghastly.

Don't you see that someone has drugged the Nissan design department and replaced it with a troop of art-destroying clowns?

Don't you see that someone has drugged the Nissan design department and replaced it with a troop of art-destroying clowns?

I bet the art-destroying clowns are inhaling that balloon helium too. <_<

Even the wheels look ugly, it looks like a bunch of Zs going around to me. And I hate the roofline worse than the lights.

I actually like it better than the outgoing model, I saw some Maximas with the new lights in person and it looks much better in the metal than it does in pictures. One thing I would do to this Z is move the front wheels further forward. It is very reminiscent of the 240Z IMO.