The big three

The big three

• Total voters
overall it has to be GM. They are putting effort into making big changes in their cars. The new Chevy Malibu is a good looking car that is built extremely well with a very nice interior. Their new volt seems promising so far. What i like the most is that are willing to bring over the Holden Commedore in to form of the G8...which is a great car. Cadillac has the CTS which is also a very well built modern car.

I hate ford. Besides the GT (which is out of production) and the mustang...their cars are as boring as toyota minus the quality, reliability, and build quality. The thing that i hate the most, however, is that Ford is fully capable of making good cars, they just dont bring them to America. Europe has the new focus and fiesta, Austrailia has the falcon to name a few. Their Lincoln brand is just ridiculous with a full lineup of boring. They are definitely a step down from Cadillac.

Chrysler i feel indifferent about. I love the new Challenger, the Viper, Charger, the 300C, and the SRT division. However, they still have a huge lineup of crap like the avenger and caliber.

Sorry I forgot, America is the world. :rolleyes:

Why so touchy? :? Yes, the OP asks the forum about American cars, and restricts it to the US market. Why are you getting all eye-rolly about him not being all affirmative-action and inclusive of the big wide world etc? Sorry we didn't pick you for this game of dodgeball; nobody's stopping you from starting some ute thread where the El Camino is excluded.

Why so touchy? :? Yes, the OP asks the forum about American cars, and restricts it to the US market. Why are you getting all eye-rolly about him not being all affirmative-action and inclusive of the big wide world etc? Sorry we didn't pick you for this game of dodgeball; nobody's stopping you from starting some ute thread where the El Camino is excluded.

:lol: It's just funny. Carry on...

I don't think I ever saw a Chrysler I really liked, and Ford well...
Picture1-6.png

Lets just say I see the worst of everything D:

I've driven several GMs and Chryslers lately, and a few Fords. For me its GM who is making the better cars overall, the newer the model the better the car. The Malibu is by far one of GM's best models currently, I've driven a few Caddies and I quite liked these except for the DTS. Ford has started to make much better cars than it used to, but they haven't made as noticeable changes as GM has. Quality and materials have been improved, but none of the cars are that exciting to drive. As for their SUVs again none are that great to drive, particularly the Explorer and Expedition which are pretty dull, I much prefer the GM equivalent. Chrysler however...until I driven the 300 only recently...I hated nearly every single car they make, the PT Cruiser being the only somewhat acceptable one for me. The Caliber, Nitro, Compass, Patriot, Avenger, and worst of all the Sebring are some of the worst cars I've had to drive at work, all suffering from being slow, heavy, boring to drive, given horrible interiors, fuel guzzling and prone to electrical failures. I rate Chrysler below Kia, they're just that bad right now.

So I take it this poll is strictly limited to the American population of the board. How typical. :rolleyes:

Start an Australian car thread if you want, I dont care. And please stop with the "America is the world" bullshit - its one of the biggest car markets in the world and home to the three biggest car companies in the world. Said companies sell different models in different countries and Im pretty sure that most people on this board are much more familiar with the American models than the Aussie ones. Like I said, if you dont like this thread then start your own Aussie one, just dont come in here with your shit.

Start an Australian car thread if you want, I dont care. And please stop with the "America is the world" bullshit - its one of the biggest car markets in the world and home to the three biggest car companies in the world. <snip>

Whilst I appreciate your sentiments and have much respect for the United States I would take issue with the "biggest car companies" statement. According to the 2007 production figures the BIG THREE are:
  1. Toyota
  2. General Motors
  3. Volkswagen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_industry

The largest automotive companies by market capitalisation are:
  1. Toyota
  2. General Motors
  3. Daimler
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/global500/2008/full_list/
Last week, Volkswagen breifly became the largest company in the world:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/05bbd234-a4d2-11dd-b4f5-000077b07658.html?nclick_check=1

And the largest producers of cars are:
  1. Japan
  2. China
  3. Germany
http://oica.net/category/production-statistics/

The USA is probably still the biggest automotive market in the world, but the concept of THE BIG THREE is as much an anachronism there as it is here, in Australia. :|

... oh, and I vote Chrysler .. Viper, Challenger, and the SRT models. Also, I drove a Pontiac Vibe around Wisconsin last year ... there's no way Chrysler (or Ford) (or anyone) could make a worse car than that!

Can't believe I've been neg-repped for this post being Anti-American! ---- And thanks for the unwarranted insult to my country you anonymous illiterate parochial moron.

Last edited:
The USA is probably still the biggest automotive market in the world, but the concept of THE BIG THREE is as much an anachronism there as it is here, in Australia. :|

Newsflash: "Big Three" doesn't always refer to the biggest companies in the world. It's a long-standing, traditional phrase that dates back to when GM, Ford, and Chrysler were the biggest sellers in America, and the only companies worth mentioning. Studebaker and those goofy-assed imports didn't factor into the 90% market share the Three had in most of the mid-20th century. Today, there aren't any other American-based car companies, so the name still sticks no matter how many cars Toyota sells.

What are the Australian "Big #"? Holden and Ford? No, really, I'm curious.

P.S.: kat, thanks for telling me where you live, don't be surprised to see a red motorcycle parked in front of your house and a sketchy dude with binoculars. :ph34r: ;)

... oh, and I vote Chrysler .. Viper, Challenger, and the SRT models. Also, I drove a Pontiac Vibe around Wisconsin last year ... there's no way Chrysler (or Ford) (or anyone) could make a worse car than that!

The Pontiac Vibe is a Toyota Matrix.

None of the above.

^^^^ .. I know the "Big Three" is a traditional phrase ... it was traditional here until Chrysler folded and sold up to Mitsubishi in the late 70s ... even though Toyota was a bigger player in the market at that stage.

The Biggest Sellers in Australia (2007) are:
  1. Toyota (by some margin ... 50% more sales than Holden)
  2. Holden (GM)
  3. Ford
  4. Mazda
  5. Mitsubishi
  6. Nissan
  7. Honda
  8. Hyundai
  9. Subaru
  10. VW
  11. Kia
  12. Mercedes-Benz
  13. BMW

I got hit by a Matrix.

As for the pole, I am human and therefore love the Ford GT, I also love the Viper and if I wanted a truck I'd probably have an F150. GM, however is just more appealing to me in general, and as I have stated elsewhere, I will have a Camaro, be it old or new.

Last edited:
Ford.
I'm in love with Mustangs, and out 3 Ford Explorers have been nothing but absolutely mechanically reliable over their entire 100,000mi+ lifetimes. I just ticked over 148,000 a few days ago, and aside from some electrical niggles, it's still running like a champ.
In recent years, Ford's reliability and quality has climbed, in my opinion due to a real effort to do exactly that. I think Ford has a brighter future than the other 2, and I really hope that they do well.

For me it's GM, hands down. I've owned GM vehicles from the last 3 decades, and with one exception (a Quad 4 Grand Am) I've found them to be fantastically reliable, cheap to run and easy to work on. The C10 pickup I owned even outlasted both my Toyotas. Personal experience aside, I really like a lot of GM's newer products. The G8, the CTS, the Camaro, even the once lowly Malibu all look great. Whenever I'm done with college (probably never) a GTO will be the first car I look for.

I care for Ford considerably less, but my personal experience with them has been bad (read: I own a 1978 Ford Fairmont). They've got some pretty good looking cars (especially overseas :(), but as for their offerings in North America ... there's a lot of places I'd go before a Ford dealership. I do like their plans to lighten the Mustang, but my hatred of the current 4.6L V8 would keep me from owning one.

Chrysler who? Their new RWD stuff looks great, but the interiors and lack of manual transmissions put me off. I also don't understand why they killed the Neon. They were solid, economical little cars, and the ACRs and SRT4s were fun to drive.

I don't know the figures, but I'd be very surprised if BMW, Mercedes, Honda or Lexus outsell Opel & Vauxhall.

Mercedes does in Germany, their market share's 11,4% from Jan-Oct.2008 compared to Opel's 7,9 - and don't say Germans see Opel as a foreign brand since the company's initially German! Of course, that doesn't reflect the whole of Europe, but Opel had some major sale issues over here as well in the last couple of years.

Speaking of the big three, I always favoured GM, no matter if we're speaking of vintage or modern cars, and it's the same with European models. An exception is the Ford Falcon that I'd take over a Chevy Corvair. Who or what is Chrysler?

GM

After some shit experiances with Chrysler I dont really like them. Ford's are ok, they dont really have anything worth buying in their line up though. Fusion is ok, Edge is ok, Flex is ok. Thats about it.

Who or what is Chrysler?

:lol: I was actually just thinking about that today - Chrysler doesnt really do business outside the US. In fact, how many people outside of North America would know about it if it wasnt for the Viper?