2009 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread

When will we know Renault's driver line-up for 2009?

This Wednesday:

Renault to announce drivers this Wednesday
03 November 2008

The Renault Formula 1 team is one of the few teams who have yet to to announce its 2009 driver line-up. Renault F1 team boss Flavio Briatore has said the team will make its announcement on Wednesday but also revealed the fans shouldn't expect any major surprises.

At Interlagos Briatore revealed to Reuters: "Wednesday is the day. We will announce both drivers on Wednesday."

Scuderia Toro Rosso, Honda and Renault are the only teams left to announce its drivers.

Source

Anyone else think Bourdais will not be driving next year ?

Kovalainen? I wish Kovalainen would be a threat to Hamilton, but I doubt it. He needs to step up big time next year or he'll be replaced by Rosberg or Vettel. I'd so love to see Vettel in a McLaren...:D

Vettel would be awesome in a McLaren. Do you think they would honestly do that though? I would imagine Lewis would get his pick on strategy and car setup as well, since I've heard Kovi has complained a bit about that and so did Alonso.

I just hope that Hamilton's title makes the British government see sense and help Silverstone to be ready in case Donington isn't for 2010.

And hopefully Bernie retires to go fishing in the mean time.

I just hope that Hamilton's title makes the British government see sense and help Silverstone to be ready in case Donington isn't for 2010.

Amen.

So I wont be surprised when they reveal they've ditched Piquet?

You know I hope he gets sacked, but if you look at all the pictures of Flavio looking really friendly with Piquet sr. , it gives the impression that Nelson may stay for next year. If Flavio is announcing the drivers so soon, it sounds like there aren't any big changes happening. I say Di Grassi deserves a shot, but it looks like "Don't call me Junior" might grace us with another year at Renault.

^ My thoughts exactly! 2007 was sooooo boring with either Ferrari or McLaren taking the checkered flag every race. It was so nice seeing other teams' racing suits on the top spot for a change in 2008. I just hope they can carry that success into next season and bring some more consistency with it.

I'm also hoping for a controversy-free season. I've only been closely following F1 for two seasons now and both of them were overshadowed at one point or another by off-track shenanigans. Here's hoping 2009 is the year of the driver, not the year of the drama star.

^ My thoughts exactly! 2007 was sooooo boring with either Ferrari or McLaren taking the checkered flag every race. It was so nice seeing other teams' racing suits on the top spot for a change in 2008. I just hope they can carry that success into next season and bring some more consistency with it.

I'm also hoping for a controversy-free season. I've only been closely following F1 for two seasons now and both of them were overshadowed at one point or another by off-track shenanigans. Here's hoping 2009 is the year of the driver, not the year of the drama star.

I've been following it since 1997, and I dont remember any year where there's not been some sort of off-track controversy to keep things ticking over between races...

Ever since I can remember, there has always been some kind of controversy in F1, it just goes along with the sport.

Hamilton aims for three world championship titles
04 November 2008

Lewis Hamilton hopes he can claim the Formula One world championship title at least another two times. The 23-year-old Briton is promised a McLaren F1 LM by team boss Ron Dennis in case he wins three F1 championships for Dennis.

McLaren team boss Ron Dennis has promised Hamilton before the start of his Formula 1 career last year that he would give Hamilton an extremely rare McLaren F1 LM, which is currently on display at the McLaren's factory in Woking, if he won three titles for McLaren.

"I want to win this car, I want to get this car off Ron," Hamilton told the BBC. "I will definitely work as hard as I can to get to number three. We made a deal, three world championships. It's a car that I've always wanted. I got a car book, a nice book for Christmas years and years ago when I was about 10, and it had the orange McLaren F1 LM on the front of it. And that was my dream car then.

"Then I got signed up by McLaren, I went to the factory and saw it and ever since I've gazed at it every time I've walked past it. Still today, it's the only car I ever really stop by apart from Ayrton (Senna's) 1989 car.

"I stop by it and I always open it up and just smell it -- carbon, fresh, new. It's number one out of five and the most expensive and beautiful car in the whole world. It's the one that I want."

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/11/04/hamilton-aims-for-three-world-championship-titles/

Anyone else think Bourdais will not be driving next year ?
I think he will - he's done just enough to have a determined crack at climbing the table next year. His points total this time round in comparison to Vettel looks ridiculous, but: (a) the bollocks-up in Monza wasn't his fault, apparently; (b) losing points in Japan definitely wasn't; (c) watch out round the Senna S, Mr Trulli... I might also count (d) if he hadn't stayed out on slicks in Spa...

What I was completely wrong about, though, is that I said (possibly on this board) that he'd be driving car 14 again next year, firmly believing that Red Bull would end up overtaking Toro Rosso despite their upsurge in performance. Instead, it'll be the other Sebastian who keeps his number...

Talking of numbers, with Renault taking 7 and 8 for next year, does anyone thin Alonso will go with the 8 that he started driving for Renault with?

Although I really stand by what I said about the teams going back to their "traditional" numbers where there were any...

^^Yeah, I'd heard that too...maybe Ron's just raising the stakes every time :p

All I want for next year is a clear walkover by Lewis, getting the championship in the bag as early as possible, but I really doubt that will happen with the competitiveness that was here this year, and will be stronger next year...

What do you think of the KERS aka 'turbo boost' aka 'OMFG F1 NOS!!!'?

"The Flybrid F1 KERS System weighs 24 kg and has an energy capacity of 400 kJ after allowing for internal losses. A maximum power boost of 60 kW (81.6 PS) for 6.67 sec is available. The 20-cm diameter flywheel weighs 5.0 kg and revolves at up to 64,500 rpm. Maximum torque is 18 Nm. The system occupies a volume of 13 liters."

When I saw the 'eco-friendly' tyres a few races ago, I pissed myself.

What if you get rear ended and accidentally press the button?
Can you use it in the pit-lane?

In the pitalne it wouldn't be any use...and if you press it accidentally your name is Nelson Piquet Jr. :p

Alonso and Piquet at Renault in 2009, it's official.

I think they should have tried di Grassi.

Last edited: