The "New Toys" Thread

If you're tempted to max our RAM wait until Snow Leopard comes out. The official limit is 4GB, the current software limit is 6GB and the chipset can handle 16GB.

I'm OK with the current 4GB, my old MacBook Pro was just getting too tight with VMWare, Entourage, SlickEdit, et al, and I've heard you can get to 6GB with unmatched dimms (one 2GB and one 4GB) though this leads to a performance hit.

I have a Mac Pro with 12GB to tide me over however ;) BTW OSX sees that just fine, I think it's the Intel MMU in the notebooks & iMacs that is the problem.

can someone tell me what the point is of all this RAM in Macs?

AFAIK anything over 4GB doesn't really do you any good so why is it so faptastic that you can fit 12GB in there?

Mein fApple has arrived! :D

Hey, no man can resist a guy with a Mac. And if he uses it in a Starbucks... better just hurry up and relax, it'll be better for everyone.

Check out what I just bought.

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/11/07/my_new_toys1.jpg

40 in Sony Bravia LCD HDTV.
6ft HDMI cable.
100ft of cat6.
80 gig PS3.
Metal Gear Solid 4.
Grand Theft Auto 4.

I'll take another picture when everything is set up later tonight.

^ Oh, those are some nice goodies. I'm still waiting patiently for GTA IV on the PC.

I thought HDNA was some sorta new technology... but it's HD in Sony's DNA. :rolleyes: :lmao:

Not really, I've heard Sony overcharge for their TV's, but I didn't pay full price for this thing. It normally goes for around $1100-1200, but I got it for $930.

930 bucks is a fair deal for 40 inches of full-HD. Sonys do look nice, no doubt about it. Have fun with MGS..... GTA bores me already.

Since you got GTA you must also get your ass kicked by me. :p

can someone tell me what the point is of all this RAM in Macs?

AFAIK anything over 4GB doesn't really do you any good so why is it so faptastic that you can fit 12GB in there?

In a 32-bit world that's true (an unsigned 32-bit int can hold 4,294,967,296 values (4 *1024 * 1024 * 1024). Thankfully we're moving on to 64-bit goodness.

That's why 32-bit XP & Vista are limited to between 2 GB and 3.5 GB (depending on machine, chipset, etc.). That's why people should start thinking about 64-bit Vista (it's actually not bad now, it's come a long way) and some OEMs are actually bundling it now.

OSX has no problem using > 4 GB, and if you have a lot of applications that suck up memory (e.g. I'm constantly running Parallels or VMWare with a Windows VM that can suck up to 2 gb up just for Windows, or killer applications like Aperture or Final Cut Pro that need tons of RAM) and having all that RAM makes using the machine bearable.

Macs are generally known as the platform for media. Media like photography (not your granny's 2MP JPEG camera, but a 21MP RAW DSLR) and HD content need all the RAM possible for best possible speeds.

Saying 4GB is too much is like saying no one needs more than 256KB of memory.

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/11/08/my_new_toys2.jpg

The stand it's sitting on was just stripped and repainted black last weekend. Until recently it was home to my 27 inch crt TV, so I'm not worried about the weight.