GPU: RV730
Core Clock: 600 MHz
Shader Clock: 600 MHz
Memory Clock: 500 MHz (1000 DDR)
Memory Bandwidth: 16 GB/sec
FLOPS: 384
Pixel Fill Rate: 4800 MPixels/sec
Texture Fill Rate: 19200 MTexels/sec

Plus, the 3650 is GDDR3, while the 4650 is GDDR2.

That is all relative, the core is a far better design on the 4650. You don't need higher clock speeds. The pixel fill rate and texture rates are where you notice performance.

Yeah, but what about the differences between the 3650's GDDR3 and the 4650's GDDR2?

And I won't go for the 4850 because it's out of my price range.

The 3650 with GDDR3 will give you more bandwidth, but the 3650 only have 24 shaders (120sp), while the 4650 with GDDR2 will give you less bandwidth, but it has 64 shaders (320sp). Overall, the 4650 should give you slightly better performance.

If you do not plan to go Crossfire later on, get this card instead.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/33527/EN8800GS/HTDP/384M/ASUS/ $74, it's $5 more than the 4650 listed in your links. The performance is much better.

If the 4650 with GDDR2 is "slightly" better than the 3650 GDDR3, is it worth the extra $8?

Also, both of them support crossfire, right? Can I crossfire the new one with my current 2600 Pro, even though it's AGP slotted?

You can only Crossfire same generation cards I believe. So you probably can't Crossfire either card with your 2600.

Between the 3650 and the 4650, it's definitely work the extra $8 to get the 4650.

I can't find any direct comparison between the 3650 and the 4650. But here's a review of it that included the 9500GT (which is a rebadged 8600GT). You can see the performance is not much above the 9500GT because it's very bandwidth limited.
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...HD_4670_and_HD_4650/?article_id=659355&page=6

Last edited:
Ok, here's the final decision and I want some basic feedback for it before I buy (like compatibility with each other).

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 Wolfdale 2.66GHz LGA 775 Dual-Core Processor

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q SE PLUS LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

GPU: SAPPHIRE 100253L Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

Grand Total (with shipping and tax): $446.71

Good deal?

That's basically a whole new computer, minus a case, HDD, DVD drive, and PSU, right?

Everything should work together. I woud still say get a better video card since you mentioned playing games(maybe a 4670 with GDDR3 rams for $10 more). Also make sure the the E7300 you get is a retail box, otherwise you'll need to get a heatsink for the CPU.

OK, FINE! I'LL GET THE FREAKIN 4670! NOW STOP MAKING ME SPEND MORE MONEY!!! :p

Good choice. The 4670 is basically 3850 with the memory bandwidth cut down a little bit, but it should handle most games on high setting 0xAA. And you can spend more money later by adding another 4670 in Crossfire. :p

Fine then: I still say that you're wasting $25 for the extra RAM on XP. Not only will there be no significant performance advantage over 2 GB for gaming, but almost 1 GB of it will be literally useless. The computer won't even know it's there. You can always get another 2 GB down the road if you upgrade to a 64-bit OS.

Other than that, you should be pretty well off for a while, and it's hugely better than what you have now.

He probably won't lose an entire GB or ram, most of the time the OS recognize 3.25-3.5GB of ram (depend on how much ram the video card has).

Back to your PSU - if it really is Antec, then you shouldn't have any problems.

If it's a no-name chinese brand...then I would be worried...a lot!

As in my previous post, I looked up the model number of my PSU and it gave me a NorthQ PSU. It's not exactly like mine, but it did have the same model number, so it's probably a NorthQ.

And why should I worry if it's a no-name one? I had it for two years without any problems.

Edit: I just opened up my PSU and there are no signs of who manufactured it. Although, since it has the same model number as a NorthQ one, it's probably a NorthQ.

I also discovered that the loud fan coming from my PC is in fact the PSU, I always thought it was the CPU fan (that Zalman one in the picture I posted. I also laughed at it because it said it was quiet on the label and I thought the loud PSU fan was the CPU fan). I was really surprised by that. So, because of this, I might end up getting a new PSU, just to have a quieter PC; any suggestions?

Edit 2: I found some pretty cheap ones (400W-500W) from brands like Sunbeam, APEVIA, LOGISYS, DYNAPOWER USA, hec, Athena Power, RAIDMAX, COOLMAX, A-Top, HIPRO, Winsis, COOLER MASTER, Rosewill, Antec, XION, Thermaltake, XCLIO, and FSP.

They are all between $17 and $55.

So far I'm liking this hec HP485D 485W ATX12V Power Supply for $27 because it's pretty cheap and has good reviews.

Last edited:
Ok, I realized that I need a more powerful PSU for my setup, so I found this:

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply - $60 (after $35 rebate)

I could get that or it's bigger brother (700W) for $28 more.

I'll probably end up with the OCZ 600W unit (I don't think I'll need the 700W)

Good choice?

This sucks because my previous order was already shipped and I have to pay for shipping again to get this. :(

Here is the thing about no-name PSUs: they don't produce the advertised output. A 500W one might actually produce around 300W. The reason you haven't had a problem with yours is because your current system is not so powerful to use up 500W.

OCZ are a solid brand, and so are Antec, Thermal-Take and Cooler Master. I would stay away from anything under $25.
About the power - you won't need 700W, I think you will be safe with the 600W, but let's see what others will say about this.

If you plan to go Crossfire later on, you'll probably need a good 600w. But if not, a 500w will be enough.

Don't get the HEC 485W, HEC inflate their wattage ratings a lot, you'll need their 585w model at least. If you can spend a little bit more, just go for the OCZ 600w, OCZ owns PC Power & Cooling now, and PCP&C makes very nice PSUs.

The final decision is down to these two:

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply - $90 (including tax and shipping, after $35 rebate)

OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - $108 (including tax, free shipping that ends today, and $35 rebate)

Can you guys please check the specs on both and compare them?

Is it worth the extra $18 to get the GameXStream 700W over the StealthXstreme 600W?

Thanks.

Last edited: