Gears Of War 2

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Four from the top and two from the third row, UK.
Car(s)
'12 MX-5 PRHT, '02 Freelander, '90 Disco 1 Bobtail
I'm really surprised there isn't already a thread on this, maybe it isn't out in the US and other countries.

gears2vid01.jpg

Picked it up today and got stuck in. I'm not going to post any spoilers, but I will say that your jaw will drop in awe.

Obviously we've been waiting for this for a long time now (I'm assuming people on here enjoyed Gears 1 as much as I did), so It will be interesting to see if I still hold my fanboy status after this one is over. :)

Anyway, discuss.

Edit: Wow, how did Gears lose so many fans, not a single reply yet. I wondered why I could just pick up a limited edition a day after the release without having to fight for it.

Last edited:
I wasn't really a fan of gears 1 and I never really played the game much but I am REALLY liking gears 2. I really like the storyline so far and I just want to hurry up and finish the game :lol:
Also I like the fact that there is a bit more colour in this game compared to the dreary bland brownness of Gears 1.

The game isn't THAT much different to Gears 1 but the changes that they have made to weapons/locust/vehicles make this game KICK ASS.. I am glad i bought this one :)

Yeah....I bought a 360 two years ago just to see what the whole commotion with Gears 1 was about. Played it for a week, was pretty 'meh', then returned the 360.

Yeah, what Koenig said, except I still have my 360.
I picked it up, played it; became bored, returned it.
And I'm friends with loads of guys who can be deemed 'hardcore gamers' and they're all going "Oh my GODD111!! GEARS 2 SUXX"
I'll take their word for it.

I beat the campaign on the the first one, and haven't touched it since. There are much better shooters out there in my opinion (such as the Call of Duty series). I might give this one a try, but I won't be paying for it.

I'm playing through it right now. It's definately a great game, improves on the first one in pretty much every aspect. It's also the most well polished game I played since GTA 4.

I wasn't THAT impressed when I played the game at a friend's house last week. The graphics and smoothness of the game are impressive but I think it doesn't deserve the hype it has.

For example I was much more impressed with Dead Space than with Gears 2 and nobody seems to have hyped or talked about the game much.

BTW... WTF has Microsoft against us Spainards and the number 2???? :mad:

Halo 2 came to Spain with Mexican dub which sounded hilarious. And the same has happened with Gears 2 (Gears 1 was dubbed in Spanish). Mircosoft, if you definetly want us, Europeans, to buy your console start treating us like people from another continent not from countries nearby you!!! :mad:

Started playing today, I really like it so far, only the checkpoints are a bit apart. Graphics are pretty awesome, and I only saw the game up to the gothic looking village with the tunnel (which was awesome...)

I enjoyed Gears 1 - had a very visceral feel. The "duck and run" was especially well done. Not have a 360 I didn't get into it much, though. Sequel seems to be as expected so far: same formula but with some minor tweaks for balancing and playability. Polish is definitely the right word. It's hard to describe, but other games that have it are GTA 4 (but not the previous ones), Call of Duty 4, and Uncharted (this generation).

Gears 1 was outstanding, and Gears 2 is even moreso.

The graphics are simply amazing, and the single player game and story is better than the first. I've only played a little multiplayer so far, but the new horde mode is a lot of fun.

Started playing today, I really like it so far, only the checkpoints are a bit apart. Graphics are pretty awesome, and I only saw the game up to the gothic looking village with the tunnel (which was awesome...)

That's a good bit, but wait until you get out of the tunnel. :)

Not been at home to play any today but I'm now inside the COG 'base' with the spooky 'SAW' like TVs with a face on, and it's dark. Think of the imulsion refinery in Gears 1. Pretty scary.

I want to play through this game, but I'm not really into the multiplayer so I may barrow it or buy it used and return it after beating it.

completed it yesterday, enjoyed it a lot more than Gears 1 although i have heard and understand some of the complaints made about the sequel.
the horde mode is probably the best addition to the game. wave after wave of locust pounding at you and if you get a good grp together the time can just flow quickly.
only drawback in the game that lets it down that the end is a bit too easy and there are multiplayer matchmaking problems. other than that its a great game.

i have been addicted to the game since the 7th, only complaints are how hard it is to down a chiansaw, and the proximity mines piss me the fuck off...smoke grenades shouldnt knock you over

other than that, its great

I played it just a while ago with a friend and my god it is boring. Horde is indeed fun but I played it for like and hour and got bored of it. I also cannot stand fps games where you can withstand an entire clip of ammo from like 20 yards away.

I don't think ill ever love a game like I love COD4, it just doesn't get any better than that.

I enjoyed the campaign in GOW2 a lot more than the first. It was grander, more intense and the story was a bit better. I dunno, I like the game, but it just can't tear me away from my regulars. I guess though it's tough to compare a game featuring massively buffed, over-the-top dudes to the pure intensity found in CoD4. Different genres yeah, but Gears is just lacking that little bit extra.