[12x02] November 9th, 2008

[12x02] November 9th, 2008

• Total voters
On first viewing I really wanted to give this one a 10, but having slept on it feel a 9 is more fitting.

Abarth 500 SS - good to see an affordable car out there and I loved the "baby Lamborghini" idea, but when Jeremy said "this much power" I just knew the next words were going to be "in something the size of a shoe". That and the small dog references. He needs a few new metaphors but it was nice to see real enthusiasm on his face.

SIARPC - One of the best I've seen for a while. When this bit works it works well as often they get someone who on paper you think you will loathe who turns out to be really funny. I think Jeremy was quite surprised at how it went as he started off in auto pilot and seemed to get more enthusiastic as the interview went in.

US Road Trip - loved the tone of this overall. A few silly running gags that mostly worked for me; Captain Slow turning into Mr Toad in the Caddy, setting off the alarms in Reno and in spite of the slightly Hollywood ending the genuine joy on their faces when they realised they had all achieved their target speeds. In spite of the "James up all night trying to win a stupid trike thing because he hated his Caddy" gag (what were they thinking?) IMHO probably the best long film they've done since the French road trip in the supercars to the Millau bridge.

Overall much more Classic TG to my mind and much closer to the peak of series 7. If they keep going in this direction and ensure the cocking about evolves rather being engineered then I for one will remain a very happy camper.

I don't do camping or caravanning - it's just an expression OK??

as has been said earlier there is a mention on the topgear.com blogs that they are selling the Dodge.. soo..........

Oh look again... having a jolly on our cash.
All of them are millionaires but get the funds for the dodge from the BBC licence fee payers.

I thought they went way too easy on the yankmobiles.
Sure, they are powerful and fast, but the plastic? The dull, cheap interior?
I could never have lived with that in a car.

Other than that, great episode, 9/10.

That's true, but then again this is series 12 of Top Gear and how many times have they talked about poor American build quality on cars they've reviewed before? I think they did okay, pointing out the problems without devoting too much time to it or repeating things they've said before.

10/10!!!

I loved this episode so much! The old chemistry and comradery seemed to be back. I don't feel that May crashing was particularly scripted, and the fact that we are arguing about it proves that it wasn't blatant or childish. I'm sure that it's not easy to control a car like that, and also don't think that they wouldn't deliberately crash it because it could damage the car!

Guest was good and entertaining, Fiat review was super (I loved the part about the old Fiat having to have its boot open the whole time!).

More stuff along these lines would be super.

Oh and props to the guys for buying a Dodge after the company refused to give them one to test!!!

Any err.. evidence to back up those assertions? Or are we not letting facts get in the way of a good rant?

See the "American Special" discussion. Plenty of proof there, mate. The rock strike noises were dubbed in, etc., etc.

In addition, no police report was filed, the people at the gas station were queried (hell, their phone number was posted!) and they said nothing happned... Finally, the so called "lynch mob" never appears on camera directly. They filmed a bunch of migrant Mexican workers and claimed they were the lynch mob.

That's about as believable as going to Germany, finding a bunch of black guys standing around wearing Rastafarian gear, filming them, then claiming they were a bunch of neonazis who tried to assault and kill you.

Last edited:
Really good episode. The Arbath-bit had a minor flaw, it was much too long for what JC got across to the viewer. Felt strechted - a lot actually, would have been just the same if they made it 2min shorter. Apart from that, the review was pretty good.

SIARPC - didn?t watch that segment for a long time now ... and this time it was good. Not a brilliant guest, but not a bad one either.

Muscle-cars ... TG at it?s best and hopefully this will shut up a lot of whining Forummembers who always complain about UK-TG and their hate of American cars :p

See the "American Special" discussion. Plenty of proof there, mate. The rock strike noises were dubbed in, etc., etc.

In addition, no police report was filed, the people at the gas station were queried (hell, their phone number was posted!) and they said nothing happned... In addition, the so called "lynch mob" never appears on camera directly.

I think people should start treating discussions of how things are staged like spoilers, because coming into every thread and reading about how everything was fabricated really, really, really sucks. Some of us actually don't want to know.

ETA: This isn't personally aimed at you, that's just an example of stuff I could have done without knowing.

Last edited:
Really good episode. The Arbath-bit had a minor flaw, it was much too long for what JC got across to the viewer. Felt strechted - a lot actually, would have been just the same if they made it 2min shorter. Apart from that, the review was pretty good.

SIARPC - didn?t watch that segment for a long time now ... and this time it was good. Not a brilliant guest, but not a bad one either.

Muscle-cars ... TG at it?s best and hopefully this will shut up a lot of whining Forummembers who always complain about UK-TG and their hate of American cars :p

You could see that will young just wanted to bum clarkson.....had that look in his eyes. :cry:

An 8/10 from me. Had to take 1 off for the SIARPC and another 1 because this American road trip wasn't as good as the last one. Nothing dramatic happened and there were no challenges this time.

Like the looks and styling of Abarth 500. In my opionion, it looks better than a Mini.

What I like about the American road trips is that they shoot them in the summer when it is always bright and sunny (except one time in the first trip where they had a quick downpour on the highway). Makes for great outdoor filming. Long unhurried shots of landscape and great depth of field views.

I do get a feeling that TG is diplomatically praising American cars so as not to offend US viewers in such a way that when the TG US show opens, they will have a sympathetic US following. Previously they would have kept on ranting about the build quality and the not good enough for us bit, and they would have pitted these cars against their European counterparts just like JC did in his video.

EPIC TOTALLY EPIC
:p
I was drinking a glass of water when I heard that Jeremy ACUALLY said he liked the Fiat I almost choked :p
Never expected that from someone who yells POWERRRR all the time. The previous Abarths were emmencly mad :p. I saw some of you saying that the Fiat review lacked somthing, but for me it didnt.

It could be that fact that we all starting to judge everything that Top Gear does. And I belive everything has a point where they cant get much more better but this episode just pushed it even higher :D

The News was much better when compared to last week. And now im heavly anticipating whats the bets are :p

The American Trip was GREAT. All the things they did, was and no other word for it, EPIC.

"thinking about the things we were not supposed to do, to do" ohhh that cracked me up every time :rofl:
Ravving up those V8 and the alarms BUHAHAH :p

Im starting to see that James is getting to the point where hes suppose to be. Turning the TC off, thats a start ;) :p and over taking Jeremy.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Love the sound of that Challenger. Makes me shiver everytime I hear it :)

A PERFECT 10. No less. THEY ARE AMBITIOUS AND SUCESSFULL :p

Last edited:
I do get a feeling that TG is diplomatically praising American cars so as not to offend US viewers in such a way that when the TG US show opens, they will have a sympathetic US following. Previously they would have kept on ranting about the build quality and the not good enough for us bit, and they would have pitted these cars against their European counterparts just like JC did in his video.

After last season's Alfa debacle, I don't think they have any room to complain about American build quality. :D

Besides which, for American cars, the Vette and the CTS are actually probably some of the best ever built. And on top of that, Euro build quality's been slipping a bit of late.

Love the Abarth, love the muscle cars.

I actually find the CTS-V the better looking of the trio. And in the hands of May, it looks even better!

9/10, minus 1 for Will Young. Sorry, never was fond of him.

Btw, the girl who was talking to May at 51:32? She's gorgeous!

Review

Review

8 9/10 Abarth: It was a good standard review.

8 9/10 News: Love how he mentioned about the GT2 lap time but nothing about the trucker crap. Still felt like it was lacking something. Possibly just not enough worth mentioning.

/10 American Muscle: Still watching....

/10 SIARPC: Probably won't care...

I think it may turn into a 9/10 episode, 10/10 even?

* UPDATE:

10/10 American Muscle: Even though there wasn't as much American bashing as usuall, it still felt very much like Top Gear. I have liked the Zo6, and now the ZR1 since I learned of their prototypes but this just reaffirms that I need a ZR1 and an Audi RS4 in order to be happy.

?/10 SIARPC: Didn't watch it yet, its a little too early late to care about a segment that rarely is as interesting as the rest of the show at 6:30 AM.

I think it was excellent. Was surprised they didn't try the Stig out there...

Last edited:
well there'll be some happy americans on here after that!

I still think the ZR-1 is tasteless

That Challenger gives me a fat though.

and May overtaking Clarkson: Unexpected GOLD

And on top of that, Euro build quality's been slipping a bit of late.

I recently had the privilege of closely inspecting a 599 and Z06 that were parked next to each other.

No, just no.

9/10. A very different American road-trip to the last one, but none the worse for it - the cars were the stars this time. God I want a ZR1 :heart: :heart:

But back in the real world - that 500 Abarth SS has stole my heart, what a great little car.