[12x02] November 9th, 2008

[12x02] November 9th, 2008

• Total voters
But I still don't get what possessed him to burn the strip of paper with the GT2 laptime last time round.

I think it was that Clarkson would rather burn the time sheet rather than endure the possibility of giving the Hamster a reason to say that the Porsche's better around a track than the Lambos that he likes so much.

Think of it as his version of Hamster's "paper/cardboard eating" routine.

Anyway, I think that this episode beat the first in pretty much every way. Yes, I love the challenges/activities, but this particular one was better than the "lorryist" challenge.

The SIARPC... well, it's not often that the guest interests me.. and.. well, it was Will Young - the only reality TV "star" that still has a career. Whoop-de-doo. :|

It was great to see the guys trying to maintain a "factual" facade while setting off car alarms, having a red-light race and re-parking Hammond's car.

And they were "ambitious but successful", too!

Roll on the next episode!

It deserves a 10 just for Jessica.
This episode seems to be almost as loved as 7x3.
In my mind 7x03 is the best ever TG episode, meaning it's the best ever TV episode :) 2nd place is the 24 Hour race and this one is a close contender for 3rd along with the old super cars vs new super cars episode. It was absolutely TGtastic :D

If the rest of the season is half as good I will be a very happy man.

i didn?t understand something. richard hammond really buyed that dodge??
he said that chrysler (owner of dodge) didn?t borrow the car to top gear team . he said he paid 51000 dolares . they don?t talked about that the rest of the show.
:D

sorry my english

Pretty good episode.

I'm giving it a 9. I really think that the "factual program" thingie made the 2nd Trip to America much less spectacular and fun that it might have been. I spent the first part of the trip waiting for a good old Top Gear joke (like the only one with Jezza with Hammond's Challenger).

But the last part with the speed tests was just epic. Brilliantly filmed, great moments and beautiful scenery and sound ^_^

SIARPC bit was ok and better than I expected. And the Fiat 500 Abarth was also really well filmed and interesting. I wasn't expecting Clarkson to like the 500 (both Abarth and stock).

God! I love Top Gear so much! ^_^ :heart:

i didn?t understand something. richard hammond really buyed that dodge??
he said that chrysler (owner of dodge) didn?t borrow the car to top gear team . he said he paid 51000 dolares . they don?t talked about that the rest of the show.
:D

sorry my english

read the other pages of the topic, you'll maybe see it there....maybe even 10 times or more!?

I had to give this show a 10, especially since last week's left me wanting so much more, and this one delivered in spades.

You know a small car (is this called a hot hatch in Europe, even though it's a super-mini?) is good when Jeremy gets all anthropomorphic about it, and likens it to a terrier. To me, this was a classic TG review: drive it around like you're on fire, then talk about how it makes a driver feel.

That held true to the American feature too, especially with Jeremy's closing voice-over comments.

I was pleasantly surprised by the SIARPC, Will Young. Since I didn't know who he was, I was kind of dreading it given how many people here were panning it before the show even aired. But the whole metrosexual-male-bonding he and Jeremy did was laugh-out-loud funny! I too would totally watch a show of those two decorating Surrey houses (is Comic Relief listening?) if such a thing was created.

The news segment was brilliant. Period. The fact that James and Richard were nearly dressed alike was creepily funny. Especially since they're sitting side by side. Made me think of the Olsen twins, for some bizarre reason. :blink: :lol: Jeremy's build-up towards his apology left me nearly wetting myself and declaring that he is the coolest mofo that has ever walked the earth. I mean, after all, that is what we here were all complaining about, and our opinions are the ones that matter, not some whinging politician's. ;)

The American clip was classic TG road film. The fact that they added new and improved ways to cock about just made it better. Each time they said the word "factual" or the line "this is not supposed to be entertaining!" leftme laughing. Even "Captain James (formally known as Slow) May's" complaining was funny, the way they edited his diatribe in and out of the film reminded me of Eric Idle's character who couldn't pronounce the letter "B" in the Monty Python "Travel Agency" sketch. Sorry you were expecting a feather bed of a car, James. Should've got yourself a Buick if you wanted that. :D And Richard being a bit of a closet American- just too funny! And as for Jeremy being pulled over... well, at least he can feel happy that it was man who caught him for speeding and not some sneaky, hateful speed camera.

The problem I find with the end of the Shawshank Redemption is that it is scripted.

+1 for you just for that line alone. I think that debate has been killed to death, IMO.

Last edited:
Great Episode! I'm glad that they finally came to a positive conclusion about American cars. Three of them in fact! Although, I'm surprised they were even allowed to have THAT much fun.. People get a false sense of aloneness in these roads and speed pretty regularly so the Cops just sit there waiting for their next victim.

The only real thing that bothered me was Hammond not being able to do "11's" in his Challenger. Hint: TCS off, Full Brake + Lots of Acceleration then let go of the brake. Yes that would also be somewhat a burnout, but only for a bit.

Last edited:
IT HAS FINALLY DOWNLOADED
I am 12 minutes in.
I want that Fiat someone GIVE IT TO ME.
Also lol James has a giant cock. :lol:
LETS STOP TALKING ABOUT CARS LOLOLOL

8/10 for me on this one. The adventure just didn't have an epic feel to it for me. Not sure why. Loved the mountain road bits with Slow passing Jezza and the vette drifting around some tight bends. Great fun. I cringed watching Richard put all that gaffer tape on the Challenger.

Granted the Challenger is the cheapest of the three, but I wouldn't have it. I'd rather wait for the Camaro. Maybe Jezza can go back on and do a factual documentary on murderers with one (a Camaro, not a murderer).

Can't believe Chrysler would hold off the Challenger at the last minute. Another reason to wait for the Camaro.

TG has an annoying habit of bringing on musical guests who I don't really have a high opinion of and completely turning me around. The music is still crap, but the musicians aren't so bad.

So what will Richard be wearing for a bet next week?

--
edit: just removed what Ironlord already pointed out. used an audio program to create a spectrogram so I could see the morse code (can't translate it on my own) and can confirm the last word is "perot".

Last edited:
i am not done but i am laughing too hard :lol:

TG has an annoying habit of bringing on musical guests who I don't really have a high opinion of and completely turning me around. The music is still crap, but the musicians aren't so bad.
So I'm not alone in that then? I thought it was a one-of when it happened with James Blunt but the same occurred last night with Will Young. If you wanted to torture me then lock me in a room and loop their combined output - I'd be a gibbering wreck in no time - but they were both remarkably entertaining guests.

You know, the whole problem with chrysler not giving them the car kinda worries me. if they are giving TG UK this much trouble because they dont like what is being said about their cars, what are they gonna say to TG USA. see my POINT? its what was the concern from the very inception.

Great episode. I'm in love with the 500 Abarth, willy talk in the news was hilarious, SIRPC was boring but no matter and the film was great. May was driving quick! And they ended up liking those american muscle cars, weird.

Corvette got a real interior with high grade leather as an option last year, and it comes standard on the ZR1.

Seriously, yes the seats are nice.
The rest is not tho.
http://www.overdrivepassion.com/e10...allery.php?show=Chevrolet/Corvette_ZR1_03.jpg
http://www.overdrivepassion.com/e10...allery.php?show=Chevrolet/Corvette_ZR1_04.jpg
The Dash/Centreconsole looks like something out of a midrange japanese car.
You can clearly see from the pictures that they dont use proper materials.
It looks cheap and boring.
Compare that to the interior of a Merc, Audi, BMW, Jaguar or other decent european cars.

You know this thread has me worried. Not just about Top Gear but really about Final Gear and its number.

Firstly everyone who gave this episode 10 is retarded. There is NO WAY IN HELL that episode was PERFECT in every way. Most people didnt like SIARPC but sttill gave it 10? I dont think thats logical! In fact thats a very good reason to not have 10 on the poll. But there you go.

Secondly. Im pissed off at the way Ziggy Jinx has been flamed to hell. In a "relative" democracy he can say and criticise the show. But Im so sick of hearing the standard "If you dont like it dont watch it then!" Or people choose to attack the person rather than the idea.

Bottom line is as a Licence payer he has ten time more right to criticise TG than any non payers. And just because the fan boys cannot accept that the obviously scripted parts ruin the natural feel the show CAN have, doesnt mean he should be bombarded with ill thought out stupidity!

Spectre,
you mentioned that New TG is Clarksons idea. But it never USED to be just JC at the begining. the other 2 used to be present. Even if not speaking. Though I have in my head a close up of Clarkson pulling back to reveal Hammond standing right in front of him.

That was brilliant :D
Excellent episode

My second post about this episode:

First, thank you for restoring my rep :cool:

So why was this episode worth a 10 out of 10?

Just because it made me smiling and laughing again! The Fiat bit was great, mainly because of the pictures, but also because of Jeremy's speaking about the cars as he did some time ago. It was just a nice test, which didn't try so hard to be funny. It was just naturally entertaining, just what I want Top Gear to be, instead of try-hard-comedy.
The news was great - good old sitting around the table and talking about cars, sort of :mrgreen: Again, just natural comedy.
The US bit was just brilliant - so much to laugh about and to enjoy. Parking Hammond's car on the road was just hilarious, just as James spinning of a straight road :lol::lol::lol: Most importantly, they didn't forget about cars and you could feel the excitement when they were driving between the hills.
And finally, I also enjoyed the SIARPC segment! I wanted to skip that but after the first minute I kept on watching. Maybe they should just bring on more car enthusiasts...

To answer the question at the beginning: It was just a beautiful demonstration of Top Gear at its very best, with two key elements: Natural entertainment and cars!

Of course I shouldn't forget to thank JC again, for giving us the 911 GT2 laptime.:bow::bow::bow: