What are the most expensive/nicest tires/tyres you've purchased for your car?

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, Tesla Model Y
I have to say for me, its the Michelin Pilot Sport PS/2s that are currently on my legacy. I didn't want to buy them but suffering a flat on my previous set of Toyos and being un-patchable, i settled for the next decent set the local shop had avail. $250/corner tho, ouch. I believe the PS2s are what comes standard on cars like the MB SLR out of the factory.

michelin_pilot_sport.jpg

My second most pricy set belonged on my old Impreza, some Bridgestone Potenza Pole-S03s, excellent grip but horrible road noise, those prob cost me about $170/corner at the time.

41822S03_PP.jpg

Last edited:
My old MR2 had the most annoying rear tire size, 225-50/15, and most tire stores only had two choices at that size, one of them being some Pirelli or Michelin W-rated stuff that wouldn't last a year. I went instead for the $80 a pop Kumho ASTs; what with the car taking nothing less than H-rated tires, I had no choice but to get the good stuff.

I currently have a set of Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs, and yes I am an autocross guy. Great tires and I would recommend them for anyone who enjoys spirited driving. Fantastic grip for a true street tire with a 200 tread ware rating, especially initial grip before they are properly heated. It allows me to make my first run at a much higher rate of attack. Though it does seem they have goe up in price as I bought them at 150 flat per corner.

du_dir_spt_z1_starspec_ci2_l.jpg

Link

I currently have a set of Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs, and yes I am an autocross guy. Great tires and I would recommend them for anyone who enjoys spirited driving. Fantastic grip for a true street tire with a 200 tread ware rating, especially initial grip before they are properly heated. It allows me to make my first run at a much higher rate of attack. Though it does seem they have goe up in price as I bought them at 150 flat per corner.

du_dir_spt_z1_starspec_ci2_l.jpg

Link

How's their wet handling performance? They appear to have good aqua channel grooves. My only criteria for good sticky summer rubber is they have to be able to channel water well and not make my hydroplane if i hit some deep freeway puddles on a rainy day.

Well, they have only been in one rain storm and they preformed fine, but I wasn't pushing them at all. According to Tire Rack and some accounts from other guys I know with the tire it preforms very well in the rain, certainly much better than RE-01R's. However until I get a wet AutoX in I cant fully tell you how they handle in the wet.

Hey Jeeper, I had a set of Interco Trxus on my '01 TJ before I sold it. No complaints at all!

51194-lg.jpg

Continental FTW

Aside from having a weird tyre size, I have to have "high" speed tyres (up to 240 kph), which left me only with Conti to go for

100? a corner is ouch though

I ran Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s on the MR2 a couple of times - great tyres, tons of grip, and because of the size (195/50/15) fairly cheap at ~$130 each. Pity they only lasted 8,000kms on the rear though.

I'm bracing myself for when the Astra needs tyres - 225/40/18.

I've never bought new tires in my life! MUAHAHA!

The nicest tires I've had though are probably the BF Goodwrench Mud terrains on my Lada.

I use Pirelli P Zero Nero on my car. I get them for about 90 Euro a piece, which is quite cheap for the dimesion I have on my car and they should be some of the best normal road tyres. The only problem is that they wear out quite quickly, but then again they grip pretty well even if they are quite worn. Those semislicks some of you are posting are neither easily available nor legal here, AFAIK.

I have these Goodyear Eagle F1's now, 195/45/16. Excellent grip, love 'em.

http://img123.imageshack.**/img123/4668/gsd3voj9.jpg

My Audi takes 255/45/17's and it is currently wearing a set of these (Kumho Ecsta MX) which I LOVE, but they are $135 a tire:

ku_ecsta_mx_ci2_l.jpg

My witner tires are the same size, and they are Dunlop Wintersport M3's ($179 each):
du_wintersport_m3_ci2_l.jpg
du_wintersport_m3_ci1_l.jpg

trans.gif

Last edited:
Falken RT615's i bought them as a fathers day gift for my dad's WRX

I had a set of those on my Mk1 Jetta... fantastic tires!

Yeah i love them to death... word around the GRM forums is that they get greasy after a a lap or so at the track and so alot of people dont' like them but for AutoX and day to day spirited driving i think they are fantastic and inexpensive as well