You know what it is?

Gameflyer

Here's the bombshell, it's the chemistry.

Hear me out: When I'm about to go to bed at night, I'll usually turn on one of the older episodes of TG at a low volume, take out my contacts (can't really see much without them), and go to bed with the sound of the three amigos in the back. I've seen most of the old episodes at least three times, so just listening in is enough as I can imagine most of the visuals.

Unfortunately, my desktop (with its big HD) died on me a few months back, so I only have season(series) 11 and 12 on my laptop right now. I've also grabbed all of the TG Australia episodes so far, albeit watched only the first three.

Now here's the kicker, when it's time to hit the hay, I usually spend a few moments deciding which episode to turn on. And you know what? I never turn on an episode of Top Gear Australia. Not to mention the fact that the last month's worth of shows have sat on my HD, unwatched.
So, I started to wonder just why this was happening.

Which ultimately brings me to my point. You can carbon copy the set, the cars, the music, hell even the cinematography, but without the chemistry present between the original three presenters, the 'essence' of Top Gear is lost for me. This is a sad realization to have when I originally had high hopes for TG Aus, and perhaps even TG America.

Without Jeremy's ridiculous metaphors, Richard's hamster-like personality, and the debonair contrast of James, the TG magic is just not there. The sad attempt at finding three people who fit the original archetype of our heroes has really missed the mark in Australia. TG without the original three, is just not TG. I had always thought it was the cars that I loved, but today I'm here to admit, it's just not.

What are your thoughts?

P.S. I put this thread in this section of the forum instead of the TG AUS section because as I see it, my argument is about the original TG vs. any and all remakes.

as I and many people have said before : you have to compare TG Aus to TG UK series 1. Do you ever re-watch those? I'm guessing no, because the chemistry was crap too!

the show needs more time to gel and find its feet...

It would be like Fifth Gear, there is not much chemistry there because the presenters are very rarely together.

I don't watch TGA, but the presenters are probably far too nice to each other. :lol:

Just give it time. The guys have got to find their feet before we can expect more from them

I do still watch series 1 but compared to the current series it's like old Top Gear compared to new Top Gear :)

as I and many people have said before : you have to compare TG Aus to TG UK series 1. Do you ever re-watch those? I'm guessing no, because the chemistry was crap too!

Problem is, chemistry aside they're pretty unpolished. I can forgive the chemistry part because of everything that's been said, but the constantly terrible music and camera work is a dealbreaker.

It's a shame, too, because Australia's got some decent musicians, and great cars.

The chemistry can be replicated, it just can't be forced or generated out of thin air.

Helps if the three guys already know each other well. At least that's what I've found.

Just wait till next season. TGA will begin to become watchable. It improved in the latter part of the season.

I do exactly the same thing and my favourite eps are always the ones from season 8 and before. They just give you a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside that makes you want to watch them again :)

And yes I agree that TG Australia isn't really TG, just a motoring show that uses TG's logos and studio.

I do exactly the same thing and my favourite eps are always the ones from season 8 and before. They just give you a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside that makes you want to watch them again :)

Which 80% of the new episodes that comes out, lacks.

It's all the heads @ Top Gear UK's fault for coming up with the idea of flogging it overseas (to Australia).

So it's got nothing to do with how bad/good/different the TG Aus is to the UK version (for when you franchise the orginal just becomes another version of the concept), it's about the fact that there is another car show kicking around out there that can add something extra to the 'same show' format, in a different market.

The whole chemistry thing comes from time & changes - like booting out the 'Car bargins' bloke from series 1 & 2 of TG UK. Charlie Cox's voice is on it's way out so we'll probably get that chick from the 'Gasolene' show on Channel 31 for TG Aus sereis 3.

I re-watch season 1 regurlarly, just as I do the other seasons.
Yes, it lacks James May, but Clarkson/Hammond has a chemistry making it worth watching over and over.
Besides, Jason Dawe doesnt get that much screentime so it's all good.

There's no denying James May made the show much better from season 2 on tho.

Maybe TG Aus will get some new blood if they make it to season 2, I guess replacing Warren Brown would be a good start.

Last edited: