The future of GM

Im pretty sure that you all just want GM to go under, no matter if it is actually as inevitable as you say.

I love my GM cars :( l-o-v-e.

Well played, sir. However, that's still an average of 60% below their sales goals for the whole run, and they aren't even going to be making any next month at all. You have to figure they're losing money with this car.

Also, they just raised the price on it to $83k. Who is going to buy this car!?

So one car of the 5 they make aren't selling and now the brand ain't worth dick?

And how much crap are the Germans heaving upon the world that ain't selling? I don't see a whole lot of A3's on the road here, Audi must be crap!

I haven't seen to many Merc R-class', the brand must be crap (well actually it is but...)

Im pretty sure that you all just want GM to go under, no matter if it is actually as inevitable as you say.

Well i can't speak for the rest, but I WANT GM to just start all over. Declare chapter 11 tomorrow as others have said in this thread. GM will fail, its just a matter of which direction it chooses to direct its sinking self.

Well i can't speak for the rest, but I WANT GM to just start all over. Declare chapter 11 tomorrow as others have said in this thread. GM will fail, its just a matter of which direction it chooses to direct its sinking self.

I feel the same way.

So one car of the 5 they make aren't selling and now the brand ain't worth dick?
I'm not saying the brand isn't worth a penis, I'm speculating that the XLR doesn't make GM any money; I actually said Cadillac was a profitable part of the company earlier in this thread. And actually, if you want to get nit-picky, four of Cadillac's seven current models aren't selling. :p

I want GM, in it's current incarnation and general directions, to fail. I want it to start over, and I want it to be a successful company again... instead of one that makes horrible business decisions, and then complains when it's out of money.

Last edited:
I have briefly sat in a XLR (a friend's dad bought one). Fantastic looking from the outside, but pretty average interior. A modern CTS style interior and LSx engine transplant would make the thing the top dog of luxury roadsters.

I have briefly sat in a XLR (a friend's dad bought one). Fantastic looking from the outside, but pretty average interior. A modern CTS style interior and LSx engine transplant would make the thing the top dog of luxury roadsters.

An LS7 XLR would be very tasty indeed. :mrgreen:

I really hope that they declare chapter 11. It would really benifit them in the long run. Plus I love GM, I would hate to see them go under. or split apart.

Well played, sir. However, that's still an average of 60% below their sales goals for the whole run, and they aren't even going to be making any next month at all. You have to figure they're losing money with this car.

Also, they just raised the price on it to $83k. Who is going to buy this car!?

One of my clients had an XLR Platinum she bought new in late 2006.

She just traded (as in two weeks ago) for a used 2006 Jaguar XKR convertible. The XLR had too many trips to the shop and too many UAW screwups.

Aside from your absurd love for things that are less reliable than my oldest Jaguar on its worst day.... :D

I think few people really want GM dead in their heart of hearts. We'd really love to have cars coming out of GM that we could all be proud of, and not just niche models like the CTS or Corvette. The last time that happened was long ago, and GM + UAW = fail since then.

Chapter 11 is the best of the few bad alternatives remaining to them. Chapter 11 is not the end of the world, but the one remaining chance to clean up everything and actually fix the resident problems at GM.

FYI, here's a list of well-known US companies that have successfully completed Chapter 11 and come out the other side stronger than ever before:

Dow Corning
Fruit of the Loom Inc.
Kmart Corporation
Purina Mills Inc.
Rand McNally & Company
Safety-Kleen Corporation
Texaco

All those companies went on through Chapter 11 to expand and thrive.

I really hope that they declare chapter 11. It would really benifit them in the long run. Plus I love GM, I would hate to see them go under. or split apart.

Last edited:
....The XLR starts at $83,000???
Yep, and the XLR-V is $100,000. :D

Does anyone know how the meeting with Congress went? All I know is Wagoner said that their situation wasn't their fault, and I laughed too much to hear anything after that.

I'm waiting for the transcript later tonight/early tomorrow. I laughed myself silly at the same point and had to turn it off.

Wow... the car business is going so shit I mean I saw a DB7 Vantage today for 60,000 dollars with 12K miles. All I can say is wow.... Seems in 5 to 10 years from now there won't be many cars anymore.

Wow... the car business is going so shit I mean I saw a DB7 Vantage today for 60,000 dollars with 12K miles. All I can say is wow.... Seems in 5 to 10 years from now there won't be many cars anymore.
On the contrary; seems in 5 to 10 years I'll be able to drive a DB7 Vantage as my commuter beater. :mrgreen:

GM are still struggling to realise that the product is king. I don't think that delaying vital products is going to help them at all. I understand they're trying to save money, keep it running as long as possible, but how the hell is that going to happen if they're not selling anything competitive or that anyone wants to buy.

GM are still struggling to realise that the product is king.
I'm sure there are more than a few people at GM who've known that for some time. The problem is that Wagoner and the UAW somehow haven't figured it out yet.

What I want to see happen is for GM to file Ch.11, and the judge have enough balls not to make it a Ch.7. Then, ideally, the management will be fired. Some marques will be cut, Saab, Buick, Hummer, etc. The UAW master contract will be voided. And GM will get back to building good cars.

Just read in the news that there will be no financial help under the current administration.

I bet Obama secretly hopes GM files chapter 11 before Jan. 20th, so nobody can blame him...