Rumour Mill: Four-Cylinder Porsche Boxster Coming in 2011?

Gman333-X-ferrari

Car(s)
Holden Cruze SRi Z-Series, Honda CBR250RR
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/11/17/all-new-2011-porsche-boxster-artist-rendering.jpg

WorldCarFans said:
The rumor mill has been running rampant with speculation in regards to a new entry-level Porsche, but according to a recent report the entry-level model won't be a step below the Boxster but rather a four-cylinder version of it.

Little is known about the new entry-level Boxster but it is set to become the brand's most economical product offering according to sources familiar with the project. With Porsche quickly gobbling up control of Volkswagen, it would seem a logical choice for the new Boxster to come equipped with a version of Audi's 2.0 liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine with a power rating above 200 hp. The current base Boxster comes with a 2.7 liter engine which produces 245 hp and 201 lb.-ft. of torque.

Besides the addition of the entry-level model, the source also indicates that the new 2011 Boxster will be significantly lighter than today's model.

Source

Booo!

Make a new version of the 944T. That'd be a cool idea.

Will it be cheap? I'll only give a damn if they price it near Solstice GXP money (aka, under $30k).

^That'll never happen, but we can always hope. Thats A3 money that is...

noooo! a Porsche must have a Boxter engine! and 2.0 is waaay too small nowadays!

I get it, it's cost effective to put the same engine in a Golf/Audi A3/bunch of Seats/Skodas but please don't stick this in a Porsche!

Shades of the old 912...

Looked like a Porsche.
Went like a Beetle.

erm... Porsche with a non flat boxer engine but rather an Audi engine??

I smell the same old Audi Gallardo story again.

If this speculation/rumour is true, I will not even consider buying it.

So just because Porsche is buying up bits of VW now their "affordable" mid engined sports car is gonna get audi engines? Maybe if it get a VW badge.

I wouldn't be surprised to find Porsche develops a 4 cylinder variant of the boxer, especially if the rumors are true that they are gonna make the jump to an 8 cylinder for the faster 911's. No reason they couldn't design the 4 to be a chopped down 8, in the same way GM built the atlas engines to be their I6 cut down to 5 and 4 cylinders.

So just because Porsche is buying up bits of VW now their "affordable" mid engined sports car is gonna get audi engines? Maybe if it get a VW badge.

I wouldn't be surprised to find Porsche develops a 4 cylinder variant of the boxer, especially if the rumors are true that they are gonna make the jump to an 8 cylinder for the faster 911's. No reason they couldn't design the 4 to be a chopped down 8, in the same way GM built the atlas engines to be their I6 cut down to 5 and 4 cylinders.

^this I'd be OK with. a new boxer engine is still a Porsche engine, not a rebadged Audi.

even a 4 cylinder boxer would be OK aslong as it's a new engine, and bespoke for Porsche

noooo! a Porsche must have a Boxter engine! and 2.0 is waaay too small nowadays!

I get it, it's cost effective to put the same engine in a Golf/Audi A3/bunch of Seats/Skodas but please don't stick this in a Porsche!

Coming from an owner of several front-engined Porsches over the years, some of their best cars were non-boxer engined cars. I'd love to see them just shorten the current Boxster S motor down to 4cyl which would be 2.2L or so and probably give about 200hp.

Shades of the old 912...

Looked like a Porsche.
Went like a Beetle.

The old 912's were great cars though, sure they were slow but still had the classic Porsche 911 handling and super cheap maintenance. Don't knock it...

If this speculation/rumour is true, I will not even consider buying it.

Get a Cayman then.

Anyway, Porsche might lose some of its engine magic, but if they still can produce the same kind of engines in 5 years with the upcoming emission regulations, I think its great.

As someone with a VAG 2.0T engine, don't hate on it. While stock they only make 200hp, a simple reflash gets you to 252hp/303lb-ft, yes I am chipped cost me $600, and that is the most conservative tune on the market. Throw in just a dp and exhaust and you will get much more. The engine is overbuilt and while mad power isnt common, significant gains are incredibly simple and reliable.

Get a Cayman then.

Anyway, Porsche might lose some of its engine magic, but if they still can produce the same kind of engines in 5 years with the upcoming emission regulations, I think its great.

Never been a fan of the cayman, I'd spend my money on a Z4M Coupe.

I like the idea of a 4-zylinder boxer engine (maybe they should have a conversation with Subaru), althoug i rather believe that, it's going to be the 2,0T 4-zylinder in-line engine from Volkswagen instead, if Porsche decides to go for it. They didn't buy a bulk of VW-shares without cause and they probably won't run such a development effort for an entry-level model.

Nevertheless the thing on the image above looks great! DO WANT!

GTX, Forstrocker.

A four cylinder engine from VW? How hard can it be to saw off two cylinders from a Boxster engine???? [/clarkson rant]