New Object of Lust: B&O Beosound 5

MPowered

Ok, so B&O stuff is overpriced and underperforms, but I just can't ignore something this pretty. It's basically an overblown remote control that only attaches to an equally overpriced and underperforming B&O media server but I want...so bad. $5300 for the set.

[YOUTUBE]tMnFIP-Q1xY[/YOUTUBE]

Bound to get tiresome such interface after 3(0) times. Much like the Peugeot's 1007 sliding doors.

ok, do want.

I reaaaally like these kind of things. Even my 10 year old stereo that cost 1/10th of the price had a gimmick : ie it had a rotating panel that was hidden away when you turn it off.

B&O underperforms?

i dunno, perhaps not in cars they dont... i recently had the pleasure of sitting in a DBS and it had the B&O stereo in it with the pop up tweeter things... it sounded exceptional, but not as exceptional as the V12 defeaning everyone through its exhaust pipes.

I was actually working on the aluminium parts for that one... have known about it for a year or so

Ok, so B&O stuff is overpriced and underperforms, but I just can't ignore something this pretty. It's basically an overblown remote control that only attaches to an equally overpriced and underperforming B&O media server but I want...so bad. $5300 for the set.
I wouldn't say that B&O products underperform. Their audio equipment is basically the best you can get for their price, as B&O sells only class A HiFi equipment. Their TVs are a bit expensive for what they are, because B&O don't change their model line every six months, but rather every two years. So the LCD-panels they currently have might have been cutting edge when they were new, but outdated two years later. Usually they kept their models for at least six or seven years, the Beo Lab Penta speakers were kept for over ten years.

I say their equipment is brilliant, as I have lots of experience with them All of the HiFi, TV-stuff we have at home is still and has always been B&O... (My dad is an audio freak... :p )

They infiltrated my email inbox with announcements about this when they did it a couple weeks ago. Looks very nice I have to say.

I love my B&O headphones, fantastic sound quality, especially considering they aren't actually in-ear phones or full surrounds. Worth the money fore sure, especially if you can grab them cheaper off ebay.

While I've got a very nice fully automated Luxman turntable now I'd love to upgrade to an old Beogram 8000 if I could find one.

I wouldn't say that B&O products underperform. Their audio equipment is basically the best you can get for their price, as B&O sells only class A HiFi equipment. Their TVs are a bit expensive for what they are, because B&O don't change their model line every six months, but rather every two years. So the LCD-panels they currently have might have been cutting edge when they were new, but outdated two years later. Usually they kept their models for at least six or seven years, the Beo Lab Penta speakers were kept for over ten years.

I say their equipment is brilliant, as I have lots of experience with them All of the HiFi, TV-stuff we have at home is still and has always been B&O... (My dad is an audio freak... :p )

Ok, so maybe underperforming is the wrong word, but I'm one of those who steadfastly believes that you can do equal or much better in terms of strict performance for much less...and I've spent lots of time with B&O and other equipment. But don't get me started on their TVs as I can make a case for their audio equipment, but their video equipment is just insulting. A bit expensive? They'll sell you a 50" plasma TV (BV9) for $20,000 and inside is a Panasonic panel. So for $18,000, you're buying the beautiful design and motorized stand. Their 40" LCD is supplied by Samsung and costs $13,500 but you do get an integrated stereo so I suppose it's somewhat of a value. At the bottom end you have another 50" for $7,500 but without things I'd deem necessary like speakers.

I have no problem with B&O equipment, but I believe customers want to justify spending all that cash by talking about performance, and I'll agree that B&O is good in some respects, but definitely not for the price. These days people buy B&O for the looks and maybe to impress and in all honesty, I have no problem with that. But why not just admit it? My family's got lots of B&O equipment and that's just fine because they, like me, like pretty things...not because they think it's the best performing.

^ Yes it does cost 10 times as much, but it will last ten times as long.

Last edited:
^ Yes it does cost 10 times as much, but it will last ten times as long.

The panels are sourced from other companies (Panasonic for plasmas - used to be Fujitsu, and Samsung for LCDs). The life of a B&O TV that uses them will be the same for the regular branded stuff. I guess the aluminum frame and weighty remote control will last forever, but the part that displays the picture will have the same life. In any case, do you really want to keep a TV that long? Although in truth my parents still have a 20 year old TV I'm trying to get them to upgrade by they're sticking with it.

Not quite true as they are inspected in to the B&O factory (I understand) to have higher standards that the usual tolerances that the original panel was manufactured to - Lowe do the same thing too I understand.

mgkdkcan verify if that is correct.

One of the better products to come out of B&O is their ICEPower class D amp modules - used by a lot of other class D amp manufacturers such as Jeff Rowland Design Group, Rotel, Bel Canto Design & PS Audio.

Take a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICEpower

B&O has nice designs and exclusivity, that's it.

The interface on all their devices is absolutely horrid, and they're usually lacking in features compared to the competition.

Not quite true as they are inspected in to the B&O factory (I understand) to have higher standards that the usual tolerances that the original panel was manufactured to - Lowe do the same thing too I understand.

mgkdkcan verify if that is correct.

Yeah, they have a cruel 'entry-control' and lower ppm numbers than the manufacturer.