Now that series 2 is locked in, what would we like to see in it?

i think pretty much every thing is said. if they are planning for a challenge, do some more outback challenges.

We have a lot of outback so that sounds reasonable ;)

The one thing that annoyed me most about the desert challenge in TGA:01x06 was the fact that they were hardly challenged. They got to pick whatever 4WD they wanted, regardless of price. It was only Warren's antics which made it worth watching for me.

Looking back at TGUK's Africa and southern US challenges, they had to go and buy a used car with a small amount of money. Not only this, they tried to prove a valid point in an extreme way like "you don't need a 4WD just becuase you drive on a road that has leaves on it".

With this in mind, the way challenges are implemented on TGAUS needs a rethink. They shouldn't be treated as an extended road test or review.

I wouldn't mind seeing a little less desert and a little more forest in the next series. I loved the brief bit of the Daintree that they showed and the segment in Tasmania in the first episode looked great.

The show needs a little more foliage.

Definitely the Aussie Ute challenge...

X amount of money to buy a ute and of course decorate said ute (it's all about the decor).

A few challenges... drag, paddock bash, load pull/carry...

maybe a drive to a remote outback pub to have the utes scored by the locals.... for aussie-ness...

Of course they could just enter themselves in an aussie ute roundup.

It wouldn't be TGA without a aussie ute challenge... eventually.

Fred

Maybe take the utes to a B&S ball or a ute muster.

Kill off Charlie.
Get a better track and sort out the cameras.
Rethink "What Were They Thinking?" It got off to a good start, but has been going downhill ever since.
"Star in a Bog Standard Car" should be changed to "Daddo in a Datto". Each week a different member of the Daddo clan takes a 1977 Datsun 120Y station wagon (in beige, no less) for a hot lap of the track.

Ok, I've run out of ideas... seriously, just get rid of Charlie, everything else will fall into place.

Dump Castrol as a sponsor. Or at least ask them nicely to put on a new ad. I fucking hate that ad and its shitty dubbing that TGA puts on now ... :mad:

Bring back the old Magnatec ads with Neil from The Young Ones in them!

<snip>"Star in a Bog Standard Car" should be changed to "Daddo in a Datto". Each week a different member of the Daddo clan takes a 1977 Datsun 120Y station wagon (in beige, no less) for a hot lap of the track.
<snip>

I'd love to see that ... as long as the lap always ended in a Top Gear signature explosion.

OK, there are at least 4 options for SBS to consider for S2 of TOP GEAR AUSTRALIA:

A. Kill off Charlie Cox, but leave everything else the same
B. Kill off Charlie Cox, take out WWTT, but leave everything else as it is
C. Take out WWTT, but leave Charlie Cox in and leave everything else as it is
D. Although WWTT is probably SBS's way of making the show quintissentially Aussie, BUT... take out WWTT and put a musical performance of a driving song by a specially hired band at the end of the show. That will change it a little bit, I'm sure.

Which option do you think is best?

Also, in-case you are wondering, NO THEY WILL NOT RUN OUT OF STARS TO PUT IN THE star in a bog standard car SEGMENT. There are plenty of celebs I would like to see in forthcoming series.
More in my next post.

Here are three challenges I have in mind for the next series.

1. In the ninth UK series of Top Gear (TG), Hammond and May attached a Robin Reliant to a rocket (with the help of the Rocketeers) and attempted to launch it into space. It crashed. So in series 2 of Top Gear Australia, the boys might attach a Robin reliant or a very similar car (if we happen to have one!) to a rocket and make our own attempt to launch it into space. It might work this time.

2. My second challenge is the 3 boys racing against the Orient Express or a similar train. They can do this in at least two ways. The first way is that they all get a fuel-efficient car, hire a team and race it against the train. The second way is that each individual presenter gets his OWN fuel-efficient car and his OWN crew and race that against the train. They can play around with this challenge a bit.

3. My third challenge is the boys trying to build their own convertible people-mover. This is taken straight out of the UK series, and it was quite funny! Just think, the Aussie boys might end up with a completely new, tried and tested, original idea! Get SBS to read this!

Although WWTT is probably SBS's way of making the show quintissentially Aussie, BUT... take out WWTT and put a musical performance of a driving song by a specially hired band at the end of the show. That will change it a little bit, I'm sure.

I have visions of the musical finales from 'The Late Show'. I, for one, would love to see Joan Kirner belt out 'I Love Rock'n'Roll' one more time ... :lol:

Meanwhile, other ideas (some of which are repeats, but they are so fucking excellent they deserve to be repeated yet again):
- Fully Sick Cheap Car Challenge I came up with in another thread
- Let Wazza and Steve loose on the production line at a car factory for the day (we've got 3 left)
- Replace WWTT with 'Cool or Tool', a variation on the Cool Wall where the audience gets to vote on whether a car makes the driver look cool, or look like a tool
- Borrow Stuart Appelby's M5 Ute and drive it to the Deniliquin Ute Muster
- Top Gear Ashes: TGUK vs TGA Cheap Car Challenge with a cheap Aussie car vs cheap sort-of British car. I'm thinking KH Laser vs TR Astra, or even VN Commodore vs Rover SD1 ... should be able to pick up a shagged out one of those each for cheap, winner gets to set the loser's car on fire (hence the Ashes ...)

No doubt I'll come up with other stuff after I've fed Junior ...

Last edited:
- Top Gear Ashes: TGUK vs TGA Cheap Car Challenge with a cheap Aussie car vs cheap sort-of British car. I'm thinking KH Laser vs TR Astra, or even VN Commodore vs Rover SD1 ... should be able to pick up a shagged out one of those each for cheap, winner gets to set the loser's car on fire (hence the Ashes ...)

Also, for a bit of a laugh, why don't they play Aussie songs for the Aussie competitors, and British songs for the British competitors, in this challenge.:)

Another challenge or series of challenges:
Australia's fastest NRL player, AFL player, tennis player, soccer player, cricketer, swimmer, racing driver (Craig Lowndes etc), radio presenter (this can be done on a state level as well as a national level), tv presenter, actor (Nicole Kidman etc), political party, basketball player, netball player...hmmmmm, what else can they have?

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind seeing a little less desert and a little more forest in the next series. I loved the brief bit of the Daintree that they showed and the segment in Tasmania in the first episode looked great.

The show needs a little more foliage.

:+1: Agreed. We're not JUST outback and desert. More mountain passes and winding coastal roads!

Rotate the Interviewers in SIABSC. Should relieve Charlie of some of that pressure he is putting on himself and get more relaxed.

- Replace WWTT with 'Cool or Tool', a variation on the Cool Wall where the audience gets to vote on whether a car makes the driver look cool, or look like a tool
- Borrow Stuart Appelby's M5 Ute and drive it to the Deniliquin Ute Muster
- Top Gear Ashes: TGUK vs TGA Cheap Car Challenge with a cheap Aussie car vs cheap sort-of British car.

Great Ideas!

After thinking about this for a while, why don't they buy a few old XD Falcons or VB Commodores and drive from Eden, NSW to Port Hedland in WA, going through Melbourne, Mildura, Adelaide, Nullabor and across parts of WA and finish at Roeburn Airport, just outside of Port Hedland. That is what I call a challenge.

After thinking about this for a while, why don't they buy a few old XD Falcons or VB Commodores and drive from Eden, NSW to Port Hedland in WA, going through Melbourne, Mildura, Adelaide, Nullabor and across parts of WA and finish at Roeburn Airport, just outside of Port Hedland. That is what I call a challenge.

That would be freaking cool. We should take advantage of all the super long distance driving challenge potential this wide brown land has to offer.

:lol: how about a grey nomads challenge seeing which vehicle is best for towing a caravan....Jeremy Clarkson would have a fit!

Can get VN's in decent running order probably cheaper than a VB I'd imagine (simply cos decent running VB's are probably more wanted than the boats, lol).

Could do XF vs. VN's or something........then the third person could have, um....something Jap....cos any Valiant is too precious to go through the Top Gear treatment, lolz.