Where would you live?

optimusprime: Everyone gets homesick, that's not the point of my question.

In terms of Canada sucking. I spent all my summers in California until I was 12 and I would never want to move there. Canada has everything America has, except a lot of the issues and problems. It lacks in terms of consumer goods and shopping too, but that's it.

You are welcome to your own views, obviously. :)

what do you mean by this? Please elaborate

There's a huge and I mean huuuge market here for imported Japanese performance cars. The country is falling over itself with used Silvias, Skylines, Type R Honda's, Altezza's, AE86's and lately the bigger cars like Chasers, Laurels, Aristos etc etc ...

I've liked both, but I don't think I could live there. Just to damn empty, plus I just don't do cold well.
Both are completely understandable. I guess I'm the opposite. Late fall and winter is my favorite time of year (unless I'm in St.Paul or something ... brrrr). I never really liked empty spaces until I lived out here in the Flint Hills. I can go ride out around the reservoir or just on fireroads and get lost for a couple hours. I always meant to take a camera so I could prove to you guys that Kansas isn't completely flat. :lol:

Weren't you in St.Louis? I never liked 'the STL' much, except that riverfront area.

In respect to the United States that is never.
:rolleyes: I love it here, but god damn man.

optimusprime: Everyone gets homesick, that's not the point of my question.

In terms of Canada sucking. I spent all my summers in California until I was 12 and I would never want to move there. Canada has everything America has, except a lot of the issues and problems. It lacks in terms of consumer goods and shopping too, but that's it.

You are welcome to your own views, obviously. :)
Could you elaborate? I've loved what time I have spent in Canada, and as far as functional day-to-day activities it didn't seem much different than anywhere in America. Just wondering what you saw that would make you say that, especially at such a young age.

Could you elaborate? I've loved what time I have spent in Canada, and as far as functional day-to-day activities it didn't seem much different than anywhere in America. Just wondering what you saw that would make you say that, especially at such a young age.

Which part do you mean for me to elaborate on?

America and Canada are near identical in cultures. It just seems to me that Canada has an advantage in certain areas that make life easier. Things like good social safety net, much less threat of terrorism, not being tangled up in wars at the moment, friendlier and more accepting people... lots of things that make me think I could live a happier life here than the US.

Canada just sucks for consumers... less choice, higher prices. But America pretty much has the upper hand over everyone in that department.

I just didn't know how to respond to optimusprime's generalization about Canada...

Last edited:
There's a huge and I mean huuuge market here for imported Japanese performance cars. The country is falling over itself with used Silvias, Skylines, Type R Honda's, Altezza's, AE86's and lately the bigger cars like Chasers, Laurels, Aristos etc etc ...

Hmmm I'll have to check out Ireland. Part of the appeal to NZ was their lax import laws on Japanese imports. How bad are import tarrifs on things? IIRC New Zealand gets royally fucked on a lot of things and one reason why they have a cultural heritage of making do with what they got.

Is it legal (without a huge amount of hassle) to buy/own/import/drive a car from mainland europe that wasn't ever sold in ireland... i.e. right hand drive?

Both are completely understandable. I guess I'm the opposite. Late fall and winter is my favorite time of year (unless I'm in St.Paul or something ... brrrr). I never really liked empty spaces until I lived out here in the Flint Hills. I can go ride out around the reservoir or just on fireroads and get lost for a couple hours.

Weren't you in St.Louis? I never liked 'the STL' much, except that riverfront area.

I was outside of it, halfway between columbia and STL along I-70. I would consider moving further south into the ozark mountains but I hate the humidity of summer too much. I've been spoiled by my year round nice weather (I wore shorts everyday for 8 years, I didn't own a pair of long pants that fit the entire time).

I didn't mind the traffic back that way, as it was practically non existent.

I always meant to take a camera so I could prove to you guys that Kansas isn't completely flat. :lol:

I know Kansas ain't flat, it's a slow, boring incline from about 600' up to 4500+ when you hit Colorado :p

Things like good social safety net, much less threat of terrorism, not being tangled up in wars at the moment, friendlier and more accepting people... lots of things that make me think I could live a happier life here than the US.

Canada is involved heavily in Afghanistan and as for friendlier and more accepting people, who knows.

Canada is involved heavily in Afghanistan and as for friendlier and more accepting people, who knows.

True, we are involved in the war. But (for whatever reason) I don't think we are seen in such a negative light as america when it comes to the war.

Friendlier people... well, maybe not Toronto, but everywhere else :p

I honestly beleive that where I live now, is one of (if not THE) best places to live on our planet. I can go skiing, swimming, hiking, sailing, surfing, or citying (not a word, but I hope you get my meaning) on the same day.. :cool:

I might want a cabin somwhere up more north but I wouldn't want to live there permenently.

Who knows? I know.

Unsurprisingly, you didn't answer my freakin' question about whether you have ever left the US of Eh, so I'm going to assume you haven't. Well, I've been to America, Canada and a lot of other places and I can tell you I've never been to any first world country with people as friendly as Canadians.

As for Afghanistan, Canada is looking to pull back its troops. I was mainly referring to the ridiculous war in Iraq, which pretty much involves only America and some other useless feeble countries that couldn't say no.

Seriously though, man, if you've never been outside of America you need to lineup some foreign vacations for yourself ASAP. It gives you perspective on the world, and it makes you less delusional about how awesome your country is.

Who knows? I know.

Unsurprisingly, you didn't answer my freakin' question about whether you have ever left the US of Eh, so I'm going to assume you haven't. Well, I've been to America, Canada and a lot of other places and I can tell you I've never been to any first world country with people as friendly as Canadians.

That's because you haven't been to Australia yet :p

I've found everywhere i've been internationally everyone has been friendly and helpful so I guess you guys must have different experiences to me.

It gives you perspective on the world, and it makes you less delusional about how awesome your country is.

I'm sure you can give me a variety of reasons as to why Canada is great. I'm sure the Aussies can give me a variety of reasons as to why Australia is great. I'm sure the Soviets can give me a variety of reasons as to why the RSFSR was great.

On the other hand, if patriotism were about totting up the pros and the cons, we'd all be living in Switzerland or Norway or something.
The simple fact is, what grown man is driven to tears by 'O! Canada'? Remember World War II? Yeah, that was us. Y'all can go all nancy about Iraq all day, but the simple fact is that at least we've got stones.
So, yeah, you can make a nice Venn diagram contrasting Canada and the US, but I just don't give a fuck. It's about passion, and you ain't got shit.

I'm sure you can give me a variety of reasons as to why Canada is great. I'm sure the Aussies can give me a variety of reasons as to why Australia is great. I'm sure the Soviets can give me a variety of reasons as to why the RSFSR was great.

On the other hand, if patriotism were about totting up the pros and the cons, we'd all be living in Switzerland or Norway or something.
The simple fact is, what grown man is driven to tears by 'O! Canada'? Remember World War II? Yeah, that was us. Y'all can go all nancy about Iraq all day, but the simple fact is that at least we've got stones.
So, yeah, you can make a nice Venn diagram contrasting Canada and the US, but I just don't give a fuck. It's about passion, and you ain't got shit.

And what grown man is brought to tears by the Star Spangled Banner? Huh?

Everyone is patriotic of their homeland, that is undeniable. But there is a difference between that and blind, misguided patriotism.

This isn't about passion, this isn't about patriotism. This is about where in this world I could live a calmer, easier, happier life. And I would never, ever move to the US. I don't need to worry about getting my ass bombed, I don't have to worry about zealots walking around with guns, and I don't have to put up with daft, ignorant people like you and jetsetter.

"It's about passion"... you are fucking deluded my man. You are pulling shit out of thin air, like WWII, to keep banging away at your universal message of 'Murka, fuck yeah!' Yes, we'd probably all be worse off if it weren't for America's involvement in WWII, but that doesn't mean your country is free of faults. It doesn't mean that 60+ years down the line everything is still on track because you done good back then.

What the hell is your argument here anyway? You insult my country out of nowhere, and then you expect me to not retort? I gave you reasons why most people could probably live a happier life in these current times in Canada. You come back and bring up passion and other retarded shit like that.

I am patriotic, but I'm not blind. If I think Canada has problems in a certain area, you can be rest assured I will voice my opinion... most of you people, however, seem totally ignorant to all the bad shit. You just focus on the positives, and label anyone who examines and questions the negatives as un-American or dis-passionate, or whatever the hell stupid label you use to further serve your delusions.

And please, don't answer for someone else. I didn't say America didn't have good things about it, but you cannot possibly tell me that someone who has never left their own country and culture could possibly have any understanding of the world at large.

Last edited:
thedguy said:
I wore shorts everyday for 8 years, I didn't own a pair of long pants that fit the entire time.
It's just below freezing here right now. I hate you. And yeah, Kansas is really just the side of one big hill. :p

You should go up there sometime. The people, for the most part, are a little nicer and less hurried. Plus they put crazy shit on french fries.

blarghblarghblargh MERICUH
Fucking get off it man.

Last edited:
That's because you haven't been to Australia yet :p

I've found everywhere i've been internationally everyone has been friendly and helpful so I guess you guys must have different experiences to me.

Yep, definately. Asia, Europe, UK, everyone is very friendly (except the French, but they're cool in other ways)... and you know who the most loud, obnoxious, drunk and rude people I've come across o/s are? Yanks. Some Euros don't just hate Americans because of Iraq...

Canadians are awesome. I see them as Australians with funny accents.

And as for this blind patriotism, Shawn is correct. Sure, everyone's patriotic but sometimes you gotta open your eyes and be aware of the failings of your country/Government <-- and that goes for everyone in every country. I'm fully aware of the problems of Australia, to be unaware is just daft.

Hmmm I'll have to check out Ireland. Part of the appeal to NZ was their lax import laws on Japanese imports. How bad are import tarrifs on things? IIRC New Zealand gets royally fucked on a lot of things and one reason why they have a cultural heritage of making do with what they got.

Is it legal (without a huge amount of hassle) to buy/own/import/drive a car from mainland europe that wasn't ever sold in ireland... i.e. right hand drive?

It's not that bad, but we complain about it a lot. Basically every car owned by an Irish citizen living in Ireland needs to have an Irish registration plate. Once that plate is the car, its on that car for life. We pay a 'Vehicle Registration Tax' on cars that are being registered here for the first time. For cars pre January 2008, its 21% of the cars Open Market Selling Price. So if the car you import is worth ?10,000, you'd pay ?2,100 in VRT PLUS 21% VAT on the car. It is an illegal tax as we get taxed twice but they make more money than the EU fines the Irish government so it'll be here for a while yet.

So if you import a car from Japan:

Cost of Car + Shipping + Handling fees
' + Customs (IRL & JP) + VRT + VAT = Final price. Take a look at this Irish importers site to get an idea of the usual price we'd pay for a used import fresh into the country. His prices already include everything above ...

www.wkdimports.com

As regards to RHD / LHD, cars never available here etc. there is no limit on these. If its available anywhere in the world you can buy it and legally drive it here.

Yep, definately. Asia, Europe, UK, everyone is very friendly (except the French, but they're cool in other ways)... and you know who the most loud, obnoxious, drunk and rude people I've come across o/s are? Yanks. Some Euros don't just hate Americans because of Iraq...

Canadians are awesome. I see them as Australians with funny accents.

And as for this blind patriotism, Shawn is correct. Sure, everyone's patriotic but sometimes you gotta open your eyes and be aware of the failings of your country/Government <-- and that goes for everyone in every country. I'm fully aware of the problems of Australia, to be unaware is just daft.

The frenchies were friendly to me when I was in France

The frenchies were friendly to me when I was in France

Ok, so I made a bit of a wild generalisation:p The Parisians in particular got a bit testy when I attempted some French. Down on the Cote D'Azur everyone is fantastic and the women are amazing.

I think you got it the wrong way around, bud. :mrgreen:

hahaha:cool: <-- No, it's not mocking;)

Last edited: