[12x03] November 16th, 2008

[12x03] November 16th, 2008

• Total voters
And more importantly, it was not about builiding a proper racing car. It was about knowing the basics about what makes a car faster around a track. Any kid knows that.

And yet based on this challenge these three do not. Unless it is scripted, as we know the show is a lot of the time

To me the only thing that stood out what the Mika/May part, that was excellent. The chair didn't derserve the time it got, the blender part was below par and the SIARPC was boring.

Must admit that these new episodes have been a bit of a letdown really, apart from the US one.

Must admit that these new episodes have been a bit of a letdown really, apart from the US one.

So you liked one third of this episode, the whole last episode, which means you liked almost half of this series so far, which, after three episodes which had their good and their weak spots does not look too bad...
...i don't know why you complain and why every new board member in the last few days, including you, introduces himself with a complaint... please explain. Both points.

(if you can explain, i won't negrep you for trolling)

Great episode, keeps getting better as the series progresses.
The Renault Avantime though. They could've easily knocked at another 2 secs off their time maybe more. Brakes were way overkill and stuffed the brake bias. Rear locked up before the front all the time. 2nd hand brembos would've done the same job without breaking the bank giving them more to spend on proper tuning. >_<

An excellent episode!
As a Finn it warms my heart that TG finally got here and did something in Finland!
Allthough it may have given a bit wrong idea of us and our culture, we're not really that boring, as the episode may have shown.
This was an episode that made me laugh so much, the blender, etc.
I gave it a 10 :)

Really liked this episode, mainly for it's segment in Finland!
The V8 was funny but an obvious filler as was the Toyota bit.
I honestly had higher expectations on Marky. He was decent but didn't really like the Max Payne plug. (the movie is horrible btw)
Never heard about the Avantine before, it looked cool though.
When I first saw them bring in the car I thought for a second it would be a Fiat Panda :lol:

They did get it wrong on the show though about the driving license in Finland. You could get the proper license (the on which is valid until age 70) in just a little under a year since beginning driving school. For example it took me 3 months from start of driving school to finishing the first phase. Then you'd have to wait for at least 6 months until second phase. The second phase takes 2 days to complete (could be done in one day realisticly, don't know if any driving school does that though.)
So if you'd really like you could get the proper license in 8 months.

To get the license you need to take 20 hours of theory lessons and 15 hours of driving lessons including skidpan. The night driving lesson takes about one hour and in the summer you can't do it because it never gets dark enough.
Alternatively you can have your parents teach you but usually the driving school is the better option.

The phase 1 license is valid for two years. The only limitation in phase 1 is having to retake the tests if caught breaking the traffic law twice during the first year or three times in two years like Posmo said.
You can start the phase 2 training 1? years after passing the phase 1 test. There is no test in phase 2 - just some driving and theory and the skidpan with your own car. If you didn't take the night driving test in phase 1 you need to do it in phase 2. The phase 2 license is valid until you turn 70.

It really isn't as difficult as it sounds.
Actually it's 30 hours of driving but usually you drive 2 hours each time you have a lesson. So it's 15 times but actually 30 hours.
You don't have to wait 1? years for phase 2. You have to finish the second phase between 6-24 months after passing the first phase.
I just finished the second phase myself last week.

So you liked one third of this episode, the whole last episode, which means you liked almost half of this series so far, which, after three episodes which had their good and their weak spots does not look too bad...
...i don't know why you complain and why every new board member in the last few days, including you, introduces himself with a complaint... please explain. Both points.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize I needed l337 status to express my feelings. "Last few episodes" is more than "this season only", to me it seems as if they're running out of ideas and the "clowning around" has moved from being a fun part of the show to the main theme. I like the clowning around but lately it went from 'funny' to 'overboard'.

Case in point the truck Jezza was driving, it was rigged to catch fire... seriously, what kind of simpleton, lack of creativity stuff is that. It got to a point where they didn't even bother with doing the points properly because they realized it was just pointless. So the first episode was lost on me.

Second episode the Abarth item was nice and as said I liked the musclecar thing which means it was fun as it should be. Third episode I explained. There's more to being a fan for years other than giving 9's and 10's for every episode (which most of the time they don't deserve).

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I didn't realize I needed l337 status to express my feelings. "Last few episodes" is more than "this season only", to me it seems as if they're running out of ideas and the "clowning around" has moved from being a fun part of the show to the main theme. I like the clowning around but lately it went from 'funny' to 'overboard'.

Case in point the truck Jezza was driving, it was rigged to catch fire... seriously, what kind of simpleton, lack of creativity stuff is that. It got to a point where they didn't even bother with doing the points properly because they realized it was just pointless. So the first episode was lost on me.

Second episode the Abarth item was nice and as said I liked the musclecar thing which means it was fun as it should be. Third episode I explained. There's more to being a fan for years other than giving 9's and 10's for every episode (which most of the time they don't deserve).

i disagree with everything you have said , but think you have a right to say it . when a society turns to suppression of unpopular speech , whether by negreps or hangings , then one musk ask , "does any speech have any meaning anymore if you can be persecuted for disagreement ?".
the rep points were invented to keep keep those who are trying to undermine the way the forums are supposed to work from messing things up . not to negrep someone you disagree with .

this is a microcosm of the world

let's get rid of negreps altogether . it isn't working out as intended , imo .

1 posrep for you :mad:

and btw , thank you to those who have posrepped me :)

i disagree with everything you have said , but think you have a right to say it . when a society turns to suppression of unpopular speech , whether by negreps or hangings , then one musk ask , "does any speech have any meaning anymore if you can be persecuted for disagreement ?".

What? This is a forum, not a democracy.

Reactions: MWF
What? This is a forum, not a democracy.

Actually it works very much like a democracy should. The decent majority use the voting tools at their disposal to ensure the unacceptable, extreme and dangerous views and behaviour are kept in check or at the very least diluted. Those who fail to take on board the hints provided by neg rep from the aforementioned decent majority are dealt with accordingly just as criminals are imprisoned and removed from a decent society. Just like a civilised and well ordered society those who are not immediately aware of the rules are reminded of what is considered acceptable by those who do and will experience the consquences swiftly and immediately if they do not heed those reminders, without the safety nets of "Health & Safety", the High Court or pleading "Human Rights" or "Political Correctness" all of which IMHO should be banned and replaced with the umbrella of "Common Sense". Methinks Messrs Clarkson and May would approve.

In fact when you consider the flaws in the various so-called democracies around the world, internet fora such as finalgear.com are probably the best real-world models of the democratic ideal you will find anywhere on Earth.

Im a new user here, and Ive really liked the episodes so far.

The only thing I didnt really like was the truck challenge from the first episode. It was HILARIOUS but just too staged...the people in the back of hammonds truck, Jeremy saying "time for a next challenge" as he gets out of his burning truck...

Being from America (across the bay from SF) I liked the SF/America visit.

In this ep I thought the whole James in Finland thing was a little boring...loved the guest though, fan of a few of his movies :). Liked the end challenge too, upgrading the car.

The only thing is, the show seems more and more scripted than it was before...might jsut be me idk. Overall still love it, always look forward to watching it every sunday :)

Don't worry, I wholeheartedly agree with you. :) I too am somewhat dismayed that the cheap car challenges have degenerated into them just buying junk and messing around. In the old days they refined the challenges and points to see which of them actually found the best car. I think the truck challenge was a combination of every questionable Top Gear decision since Series 8 summed up into 1 segment, and that is very worrying.

Why is he trolling? He's made two posts expressing an opinion of his, which is the whole point of why the thread exists in the first place. If it was a reputable member making the same post I'm sure you wouldn't have been so quick on the criticism. I think his points are valid and he certainly has a right to express them in a non-offensive manner which he has done.

Why is he trolling? He's made two posts expressing an opinion of his, which is the whole point of why the thread exists in the first place. If it was a reputable member making the same post I'm sure you wouldn't have been so quick on the criticism. I think his points are valid and he certainly has a right to express them in a non-offensive manner which he has done.

You may all be right with this forum being a democracy etc... that's why i asked before negrepping... i just wonder why so many people join to complain. If your first post is "bwaah this season sucks" of course it's less reputable than when someone with even only one other post complains because it looks like "i joined to complain", which in this thread alone, dozens did....

I'm sorry, I didn't realize I needed l337 status to express my feelings.

Nope. Sorry if i offended you more than i intended.
Just too people registered, complained in their first post and quickly disappeared in the last week... that's why i asked you about you motives...

Actually it's 30 hours of driving but usually you drive 2 hours each time you have a lesson. So it's 15 times but actually 30 hours.
The correct minimum is 12? hours.
The law states a minimum of 30 driving lessons (25 minutes each) of which you are allowed to have four during one day and only two lessons can be combined.

If you had two hour driving lesssons for a B-license the instructor broke the law!

No wonder James was confused. The people that actually live in Finland seem to be confused.

I guess that just goes to show how complicated it is.

Still, whatever it is, it sounds better than the US requirements.

A long training course with stringent rules and proper testing is a good thing before being let loose on the streets in a 1500kg metal death machine. I very much like and understand how the Fins approach the whole thing.