Specific Episode Polls

corradoboy

Car(s)
Fabia vRS (180bhp/312lbft)
When voting in the 'Specific Episode Discussion Polls', are we voting for how good Top Gear is in comparison to ALL other television programmes, or how good it is in comparison to the best and worst shows the team have made over the years ?

I ask this as I have been flamed and neg-rep'd for scoring two of the three shows so far this season very lowly. Personally, I rate each show solely as TG. I know full well that every show will be significantly more entertaining, funny and informative than Jeremy Kyle, Bargain Hunt or Easterdale Street. I deem the Polar Special, France (Millau) Supercar Trip, Veyron race and others to be their better work, thus scoring those as 9's or 10's. A good show such as S11E2 with plenty of quality car reviews may be in the 8's, and S12E2's US road trip got an 8 from me. However, I cannot give S12E1 with its silly lorry section and very poor Lambo vs Porsche (or not) review or S12E3 with no car review AT ALL a high score because although they were still better than much of the dross on UK TV, I didn't feel they were anywhere near as good as what the team can and do do, and as such scored them lowly.

So, what is the scoring criteria ?

There's no set scoring criteria, but I would imagine most people score TG against itself, not against other shows on TV. So a three would mean a very, very average effort for TG, but it would still be far better than most things on TV.

There's no set scoring criteria, but I would imagine most people score TG against itself, not against other shows on TV. So a three would mean a very, very average effort for TG, but it would still be far better than most things on TV.

exactly that's how I do it.
Also, how anyone can give you a -rep for saying your opinion that something is bad, is beyond me.

Why anyone would rate every single an episode a 10 because there wasn't anything better to watch that night is beyond me. Top Gear is capable of producing absolutely amazingly innovative and entertaining programming by doing things by having a great idea, and then filming the execution. It is very clear that they are running out of such ideas, and thus have to fabricate situations and events to make the show more humurous/interesting. Episodes with obvious lies and false premises may be funny in a slapstick kind of way, but they have no staying power and the passion of the presenters for the work they love is lost.

I would also bear in mind the fact that a lot of people (and I used to count myself in this number) vote not necessarily on how each episode is when compared to others, but vote based on how they feel after watching each one. I gave 12x01 a 9, which when viewed against the whole Top Gear canon is way too generous, but because it was the first of a highly anticipated new series euphoria overtook common sense which is why I now sleep on it and consider my views again in the cold light of day.

Of course one can't legislate for when people vote, what personal criteria they use to make their decisions and their mood either when watching an episode or voting on it afterwards however flaming or neg repping someone for their feelings is unfair and does to an extent undermine the point of having a free and open forum. That said the preponderence of 4 post new users/trolls wading in with "worst episode ever" and similar comments has probably contributed to a rise in the number of members who are a little trigger happy when it comes to the neg rep button.

Live and let live I say unless someone is being abusive or a total cock.

^ I sort of agree on that, I think most of us gave really good points to the 1st episode because we were so glad TG was back.

Would it be an idea to have the Polls one week after the initial broadcast perhaps, so we can have a more "weighed" result? It also would stop people going "Well James gave me a good laugh so its 10/10", so one point gets overexaggerated compared to the rest of the show

I usually just try to compare the episodes to the previous line of seasons and episodes when I do my vote. However it usually ends up with just being a "how do I feel at the end of the episode" vote.

Either way, it's stupid for someone to neg rep you for giving out a low score. Even if people disagree with you, they shouldn't be deeming it as unworthy especially when you have a valid reason for your score. If however you rated with low scores and your reasoning was: "T0pG34r Sux". Then the neg rep is warranted.

Anyways, I gave you +rep to make up for the neg rep. Continue voicing your opinion on each episode as you are giving it a fair vote and you aren't an asstard internet troll.

In addition to the "TG vs TG" or "TG vs the Rest" ambiguity I also see I fair amount of variation over the meaning of "10". I've seen some posts produce a long a detailed critique over what could have been done a little better to earn the 10 somewhat like an Olympic judge looking for the perfect routine, or an exam paper being marked versus a perfect model answer. The difference is, at least theoretically, there is a common pre-agreed standard against which all the judges should be measuring the same performance.

Because each of us individually decides what we do/don't like the only way to get a 10 under this sort of criteria may be for Andy Wilman to sit down with each one of us and discuss the plot, acting and edit and cut to suit.

Any critique which includes "I didn't give it a 10 as it wasn't perfect for me because ..." seems to be heading in this direction which I feel is a little harsh. The more generous case of this uses a "points away for less than perfection" to get a 9.8 but rounds it up to a 10.

For those of the perfect=10 persuasion may I suggest you reset your scale one higher (TG goes up to 11 - Nigel Tuffnel-ish). Seems a shame to waste 10% of the scoring range on an unattainable "perfect" and the 10.1's to 10.9's can now truncate to 10 with a clear conscience.

An equally valid alternative would be to say 10% of episodes get a 1, 10% get a 2 ... 10% get a 10. Just as logical but seems wildly unfair at the low end.

I'm with the "how it made me feel crowd" myself. 10 means thoroughly enjoyed, came away feeling actively happy, inspired about cars or motoring, really glad I didn't miss it, can't wait for the next episode. For me an 8 is passively content, glad I saw it, good end to the weekend, still one of the best hours of entertainment in the week. A 6 for me (lowest I have scored) is good in parts, not sorry I spent the hour but won't watch a second time and wouldn't rush to suggest others watch it.

I've been watching TG since the 70's so I don't have the "seen it before/running out of ideas" issue that some come across as the novelty of finding TG fades. At the end of the day a car is a car and there are only so many ways to describe a review or drive from A to B so I'm happy just to go with the fun-feeling at the end of the show and not worry about the composition or spotting if/when the shark ramp is approaching.

I really enjoyed 12x01, sure some new season euphoria but it was fun and entertaining. I thought 12x02 was sublime and really disappointed in 12x03, but the shock for me was how many people polled 12x03 as 9's or 10's. I was genuinely surprised that a bunch of like minded souls that visit here could see the positives and negatives so differently and just what an impossible job TG have to do to please all the people all the time.

(I'm now genuinely worried whether I had a worthwhile point to make here or just wanted an excuse to drag up a really old Spinal Tap joke - you decide.)

It just goes to show even when we all like the same thing, we all like it slightly differently and are entitled to our own opinions. Just so long as you all understand that when all is said and done I am right and you are wrong!

Cheers

Crash

I expect a lot from TG (built on what they've achieved over the years), some episodes like the Veyron and actually most of season 9 I'll give anywhere from 7-9. If it weren't for May's very nice Finland thing I'd have given 12x03 a 4 because it's just subpar, same for the whole truck thing earlier.

9's and 10's are just not realistic most of the time and thus deminish the worth of any polls in the first place.

I rate it in the "how it makes me feel also".

If it makes me smile and feel very happy esp if it makes me happy all week, it is a 10.

If it makes me smile and feel happy, it is a 9.

If it makes me smile, it is an 8 and so on.

I pretty much "know" when it meets my scoring system. I never look to see what others think before deciding what I think.

I usually watch it twice before I rate it. The truck one did npt grab me too much the first time, but after a couple of viewings, with different people, it is now one of my favorites.

I have also found watching it with different people will cause me to think different about the show. I like to rate it when I have seen it by myself best.

As for neg rep, I have no doubt some people get it simply for voicing their opinion, but I will go out on a limb here and say I bet it was not the opinion, but how that opinion was given.

I neg rep any smart ass that comes on with a firstish post of, I am sick of this scripted crap, why don't they X,Y,Z, any disrespect of other people/countries, or just blatantly stupidity.

I was neg repped for being a woman. So the op was not the only person neg repped for a stupid reason.

I tend to rate it against other recent episodes. It's also very subjective though in that I rate how good of a time I had watching it.

I tend to rate it against other recent episodes. It's also very subjective though in that I rate how good of a time I had watching it.

Just what I do, although I think I'm gonna get flamed or even neg repped to phuq for my feelings and opinion of 12x04.

Such is life. It's only reputation, it's not like it matters.

Sobs: My beautiful green blobs, all gone.....

I rate it in the "how it makes me feel also".

I never look to see what others think before deciding what I think.

I have also found watching it with different people will cause me to think different about the show. I like to rate it when I have seen it by myself best.

I was neg repped for being a woman. So the op was not the only person neg repped for a stupid reason.

1. Yep in the end so do I
2. Yep so I am not "influenced"
3. Always try to watch on my own otherwise I get issues. ...
4. Who would do such a thing? Silly people.

For me, 10 is reserved for perfection and I consider episodes from season 5 and 6 to be in that category. Specially the ep in which they raced car vs. bobsled and the race to verbier. That was classic.

I cringe when I see these episodes from season 12 rated by the majority at 10. They are good viewing but so far, the 4 episodes have been in the 6-8 range for me. Maybe it is out of the TG's hands these days as there aren't a lot of new cars being introduced. The last season of FG packed way more car reviews but there, due to the 45 minute episode, the reviews seemed short and badly cut.

For me, 10 is reserved for perfection and I consider episodes from season 5 and 6 to be in that category. Specially the ep in which they raced car vs. bobsled and the race to verbier. That was classic.I cringe when I see these episodes from season 12 rated by the majority at 10. They are good viewing but so far, the 4 episodes have been in the 6-8 range for me. Maybe it is out of the TG's hands these days as there aren't a lot of new cars being introduced. The last season of FG packed way more car reviews but there, due to the 45 minute episode, the reviews seemed short and badly cut.

That was the first episode I ever saw and to this day it is my favorite. It is the one I always show "new people".