Spoilers: Drivers Republic GT2 v GTR around the Nurburgring

monaroCountry

GT2 - 7:49
GTR - 7:55.9

"so we left the Ring on the close of the second day, the GT2 was the daddy"

PORSCHE GT2
?Given the times we set were both some-way off the manufacturers? claims, how do we feel about those claims? Well, Walter?s time is 17-seconds faster than this, and having experienced the GT2 at full-afterburner, I have no doubt that the car will achieve that time. I could show you where I?ve lost five seconds on just a handful of sections.

NISSAN GTR
?could the Nissan really go 27-seconds faster? I just don?t know?but I just don?t see where another 27-seconds comes from with the car I drove. I felt that I came much closer to extracting the maximum performance of the Nissan on this single-flying-lap challenge than I did the Porsche.

FINAL
?But be in no doubt, when we left the Ring on the close of the second day, the GT2 was the daddy. We did the times and the Porsche won.?

http://magazines.drivers-republic.com/driversrepublic

I still maintain that the Nurburgring will never be a good place to compare the car's laptimes.

I was thinking more in terms of conclusions and some talking. I don't really need to watch those 2 videos after reading the entire article. :)

Yea I was hoping for some commentary too, they've got tons of in-car track videos on the site but very few ones with actual talking.

thought as much, I've always suspected the GTR's ring time.

Very very nice test. I am impressed by DR and will visit the site more frequently. Although I don't think it will settle the argument in the least, rather i can see the debate reigniting more fiercely than ever.

Someone who sponsors a Porsche racing team suggesting the production Nissan may not be quite as fast as some have you believe, and comparing it to a GT2 instead of Turbo, pimply-faced youth all over the world will be furious...

Still means the GT2 was nearly SEVEN seconds faster. :lol:

Yup, was 7 seconds faster, on that one flying lap.
:)

But trying to claim this information is any more meaningful than the lap times already posted for the 'ring as well as other independent tests on other tracks doesn't make much sense.

Kinda funny, though. Nissan might have shot themselves in the foot by reporting such a fast time. Hell, even seven seconds slower than a GT2 is insane for a 4 seater costing about 1/3 the price.

Thing is, it really depends on how you drive the car. I'm guessing that the Porsche and GTR has to be driven differently to extract the most out of their performance.

PORSCHE GT2
?Given the times we set were both some-way off the manufacturers? claims, how do we feel about those claims? Well, Walter?s time is 17-seconds faster than this, and having experienced the GT2 at full-afterburner, I have no doubt that the car will achieve that time. I could show you where I?ve lost five seconds on just a handful of sections.

NISSAN GTR
?could the Nissan really go 27-seconds faster? I just don?t know?but I just don?t see where another 27-seconds comes from with the car I drove. I felt that I came much closer to extracting the maximum performance of the Nissan on this single-flying-lap challenge than I did the Porsche.
May I ask why you left the following marked parts out?

NISSAN GTR
?could the Nissan really go 27-seconds faster? I just don?t know. Unlike the Porsche time, we have video evidence of Toshio Suzuki setting a 7:29.03sec lap and he is super-commited. In fact it's a brilliant piece of driving. But I just don?t see where another 27-seconds comes from with the car I drove. Ten perhaps - fifteen with a set of these gummy Dunlops fitted, Suzuki-san driving, using his sublime skills and telepathic knowledge of the car's handling traits. I felt that I came much closer to extracting the maximum performance of the Nissan on this single-flying-lap challenge than I did the Porsche.

Last edited:

NISSAN GTR
?could the Nissan really go 27-seconds faster? I just don?t know. Unlike the Poirsche time, we have video evidence of Toshio Suzuki setting a 7:29.03sec lap and he is super-commited. In fact it's a brilliant piece of driving. But I just don?t see where another 27-seconds comes from with the car I drove. Ten perhaps - fifteen with a set of these gummy Dunlops fitted, Suzuki-san driving, using his sublime skills and telepathic knowledge of the car's handling traits. I felt that I came much closer to extracting the maximum performance of the Nissan on this single-flying-lap challenge than I did the Porsche.

Haha, wow. Nice edit.

I would love an answer to this question.

"In terms of pride, I'd call this honours even. I don't really care that the Nissan appears to not be quite as fast as the GT2. It is over 70,000 GBP less, has four seats and will change gear itself. If anything, when you study its performance here relative to a 131,000 GBP sports car that benefits from the accumulated knowledge of a company that knows this place better than anyone else, it emerges from this test with an even stronger set of credentials."

So, to sum up the article, "The Porsche GT2 was 1.5% faster, or 6.9 seconds faster, than the Nissan GT-R in a single flying lap... but that's not fast enough for us to care."

What surprised me is that the GT-R became a right handful in the wet! Although at least it wasn't wheelspinning in 5th gear at 150mph like the GT2 was. Chris Harris=probably the most talented motor journo on earth.

NISSAN GTR
?could the Nissan really go 27-seconds faster? I just don?t know. Unlike the Poirsche time, we have video evidence of Toshio Suzuki setting a 7:29.03sec lap and he is super-commited. In fact it's a brilliant piece of driving. But I just don?t see where another 27-seconds comes from with the car I drove. Ten perhaps - fifteen with a set of these gummy Dunlops fitted, Suzuki-san driving, using his sublime skills and telepathic knowledge of the car's handling traits. I felt that I came much closer to extracting the maximum performance of the Nissan on this single-flying-lap challenge than I did the Porsche.

Good job, old friend! :lol: And no, you don't need to ask.. he and his bedfellow Heavychevy are already legendary in the webs due their idiotic, self repeating hatred and nonsense they're blurting out about GTR. they've been banned on many forums when moderators grew tired to the flamewars they caused on every thread that mentioned GTR..:rolleyes:

^^

Do-not-feed-the-troll.PNG

Do you expect me to type out the whole review from the first to the last page?

I reported what I thought was relevant. How Toshio Suzuki drove the car in the Nissan mfr video isnt relevant to this test. The fact is that this was a same day, same driver and the same amount of laps test done by an independent publication, and driven by a person who has recently completed a 24hr race around the track.

You yourself also left out the rest of the comment (the Porsche section).......seriously we could go back and forth with this.

comment1.jpg

comment2.jpg