Need burning help

haz

I AM OT!
Car(s)
Tesla Model S 75D BMW E39 Wagon
I'm trying to burn some movies to disc, to use in a dvd player. I have tried with Nero v.9 and haven't been succesfull (tried both with dvd discs and regular cd-r discs), and it just fails/or doesn't want to play in dvd player.

In Nero, I've tried everything, from making a dvd to making a data disc, and regular vcd and svcd.

Any tips on what to do?

How old is your DVD player? Some of the older ones can't play from burned discs, and even if they do, only DVD-R and not DVD+R.

thanks,

but I think the problem is how it is burned and not my dvd player, cuz it plays every other type of burned discs and always have. The burnsessions in Nero (Vcd and Svcd) are very long, like 1 hour.

Any other tips?

MAybe your burner is borked. Happens fast than you know...
Check the Expert settings in Nero, maybe you can set another booktype, which may help your burner read it...

doesn't help. Anyone know if Mediaplayers burnfunction is any good?

What exactly are you trying to burn?
If you are just burning .Avi files then no wonder it doesn't work. You will need a DivX->DVD (.VOB) converter.

yes mostly avi files. How to I get hold a converterprogram?

ConvertXtoDvd
The best out there. Just input any type of file and it will convert AND write the DVD. I use this to write smallville episodes for my cousin. And it havent failed.
If you can search im sure you can...cough..accuire...cough it ;)

Reactions: haz
:(

I have - not + but could I use a normal cd-r disc and make it convert to vcd or s-vcd?

http://img135.imageshack.**/img135/2681/1234ui4.jpg
http://img135.imageshack.**/img135/1234ui4.jpg/1/w736.png

I use DVD-R and they're fine.

You won't be able to use a CD-R, just look at the required space. 2.4GB won't fit on any CD.

That software should pick up the DVD without a problem, it seems like the DVD is no good. Check to see if there's anything on it (there will be a dark circle towards the centre on the underside). You can't add to a DVD once it's been created. :)

Personally I use WinAVI for all my converting, then DVDShrink to create an ISO and finally Roxio Media Creator 9 to burn to DVD-R.

Matt

Converting to VCD requires a different type of software. Why don't you just burn it as a DVD, VCD are so obsolete now...

I use DVD-R and they're fine.

You won't be able to use a CD-R, just look at the required space. 2.4GB won't fit on any CD.

That software should pick up the DVD without a problem, it seems like the DVD is no good. Check to see if there's anything on it (there will be a dark circle towards the centre on the underside). You can't add to a DVD once it's been created. :)

Personally I use WinAVI for all my converting, then DVDShrink to create an ISO and finally Roxio Media Creator 9 to burn to DVD-R.

Matt

the disc should be ok, I just picked it our of the pack. Thnks for the tip though!

Converting to VCD requires a different type of software. Why don't you just burn it as a DVD, VCD are so obsolete now...

I'm trying dvd format now, but it's taking a very long time, so we'll se if it comes out ok and is accepted by my dvd player.

scrn shot from the job atm:

http://img511.imageshack.**/img511/8756/sdfsfrq0.jpg
http://img511.imageshack.**/img511/sdfsfrq0.jpg/1/w746.png

Yeah it will take a long time, it needs to encode the video before it burns it to disc. From what I see on that screenshot, your DVD should play fine. :)

Converting to DVD takes a long time. You've not just burning the data...you're converting the data to the "video file" your dvd player can recognize.

See, you computer can play the data files because your computer has a fast processor, lots of ram, a video card, etc. To keep the prices down on DVD players, all of this "rendering" needs to already be done so all of the components in the player can be much lower-powered. All the player does is simply "stream" the data then from the disc, and it doesn't take much computation muscle to do it.

I can put two Top Gear avi files in a single-sided DVD disc (with a little bit of compresssion and a menu) and it takes about 2-3 hours to render in a DVD-Video disc. Now, if you ever want to make an exact copy of that disc, it should only take 10-15 minutes because all of that rendering has already been done. It would take just as long as if you were simply burning the .avi data file, essentially.

BTW: I use Nero StartSmart/NeroVision Express (DVDShrink for copying), and it works fine. The software has never failed me. ANY of the few coasters were hardware related.

it failed ... but thanks for explaining all that, makes sense. Hmmm, so now what? I'll keep on try/fail a little more :)

What exactly "failed"? I've had mine fail a burn when I was using my computer for too much, and ran out the buffer. (ie, opening a 1.2gb file in photoshop while watching another .avi...d'oh!) I usually have mine burn over night. NeroVision express even has a box you can check to shut down the computer when it's done.

same error as when I tried to start burning, "disc type not supported", but I gave it a go cuz it did start burning after I clicked "ignore".. which wasn't very smart hehehe.. so I have to have the + disc type then?!

I tried one more time to burn to dvd format before I went to bed last night, and this morning it had finished (took 1 hr 20 min) and just popped it into the dvd player, and it worked! Then I went to Mininova.org to download a full version, but only 4 seeds.. The full version takes away the annoying watermark on the movie.

Thanks guys,

Now I have a small problem and since its about burning insterd of making a new thread I thought I would stick it in here. Hope you won't mind haz ;)

When I write a DVD, specially a big file the computer gets restarted in the middle of it :mad: I have done this many times before but now this strange thing is happening.
I normally use Nero 8 to write them in normal data DVD's. But after reaching 70 - 80% the computer just restarts. I thought this was something wrong with Nero so I used ImgBurn but no luck. I crapped out 4 DVD's now :(

Anyone help me please :(