from [12x03] free speech and negreps

Status
Not open for further replies.

conceptualman

Car(s)
Volvo wia64t with turbocharged 12.7L straight 6! !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm?rg?sbord
What? This is a forum, not a democracy.

i detect subtle humor there :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineworksfine
Actually it works very much like a democracy should.

really?

Quote:
The decent majority use the voting tools at their disposal to ensure the unacceptable, extreme and dangerous views and behaviour are kept in check or at the very least diluted.
thank zeus the 'majority',represented by you, of course, is always right. we must not tolerate dissent !

Quote:
Those who fail to take on board the hints provided by neg rep from the aforementioned decent majority are dealt with accordingly just as criminals are imprisoned and removed from a decent society.
who needs a discussion ? the 'decent majority' whose opinions are , of course , represented in your opinions , is always of the correct opinion . and if one's opinion is different than what you divine the 'decent majority' opinion to be , then of course you have the right , no , obligation to negrep , imprison or exile them . after all , it's for the good of a 'decent society' .

Quote:
Just like a civilised and well ordered society those who are not immediately aware of the rules are reminded of what is considered acceptable by those who do and will experience the consquences swiftly and immediately if they do not heed those reminders
and the rules say , "only opinion which is not offensive to anyone shall be spoken here . and any passerby is qualified to render judgement upon an individual and what they deserve for speaking 'improperly'.

Quote:
without the safety nets of "Health & Safety", the High Court or pleading "Human Rights" or "Political Correctness" all of which IMHO should be banned and replaced with the umbrella of "Common Sense". Methinks Messrs Clarkson and May would approve.

but nothing you have said corresponds to common sense .
your views are responsible for things like 'political correctness', majoritarianism , theocracy , or worse... even authoritarian dictatorships use your kinds of justifications for their actions .

Quote:
In fact when you consider the flaws in the various so-called democracies around the world, internet fora such as finalgear.com are probably the best real-world models of the democratic ideal you will find anywhere on Earth.
WOW!
if this is the democratic ideal , i would hate to see what imperfection looks like .
you are not distinguishing between infringing on someone else's rights ,and expressing an opposing opinion .
in a just society , a man gets to face his accuser before being sent to the gallows . not here . here the rule is 'guilty until others decide you are innocent' .
what a system :blink:

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/11/23/divinelolwut.jpg

Quiz time!

This conversation should:
A) have stayed in it's original thread
B) have a new thread dedicated to it in a new area of the forum
C) be taken to PMs
D) be allowed to die a quick death
E) all answers except B
F) C & D

F is the correct answer, however I will also accept C and D

wat

And following in Blind's footsteps:

http://img116.imageshack.**/img116/807/553pxlolquegh8.jpg

Last edited:
Lol_wut_pack.jpg

Lol_wut_pulp_fiction.jpg

Obv. negreps have nothing to do with free speech or democracy. There's no negative effect, except for some small effect on reputation, of being negrepped. If, now, being negrepped resulted in banning, that's no dice.

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/11/23/crew.jpg

I have to confess. When I saw the trailer for the latest movie and that Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Jordana Brewster, and Michelle Rodriguez would be back....I was kinda excited.

conceptualman - state the POINT of this thread or it will be closed and you will be served with an infraction for wasting my time and making our heads hurt.

Last edited:
my point was comparing a forum with reps to various forms of government

but since noone is interested

i like chocolate chip cookies

Obv. negreps have nothing to do with free speech or democracy. There's no negative effect, except for some small effect on reputation, of being negrepped. If, now, being negrepped resulted in banning, that's no dice.

actually , i thought there was possibly a negative effect . but i guess not , upon the observation of teletubby warrior's rep points .

no offense , tele . actually , you're my new hero :)

hell with it then .

still, the political side of the post has some merit .... doesn't it ?

Well you failed dismally then because I personally didn't know what the hell you were on about. And I think thats the same for most people who weren't there to witness whatever other thread this topic originally started in.
still, the political side of the post has some merit .... doesn't it ?
Probably, if you executed it right and made it seem like you had a point.

:angrylock:

Status
Not open for further replies.