Twilight the movie generates interest in Volvo C30. WUT?

Jay

the fool on the hill
My wife, who has seen this movie twice, was really piqued about the hatchback that some pretty boy main character was driving. She couldn't identify the exact model, but after a search, I came across this article.

There have been some incredible movie cars over the years. The Aston Martin has dazzled in the Bond franchise, the Mini Coopers proved something to whistle about in The Italian Job and the DeLorean was a time-travelling sensation in Back to the Future to name but three, which presents the question: should we add the Volvo C30 to that list? The sports coupe enjoys a starring role in vampire love story Twilight and the thirst for blood has changed to a thirst for the car as young Americans are clamouring to get their hands on the movie motor.

As he does in the film?s source material, the Stephanie Meyer bestseller, its bloodsucker Edward played by Robert Pattinson who gets behind the wheel of the Swedish sedan. And rather than the customary 10 to 30 seconds of screentime afforded such brand tie-ins, the silver C30 gets a whopping four minutes to shine. It?s an unlikely and amazing platform for Volvo, who due to budgetary limitations can?t maximise on the exposure with advertising, but again fans are happily stepping in, posting videos on YouTube with titles and tag-lines such as The Day Volvo Died and ?If you lived forever, what car would you live for???

The top brass at Volvo are suitably thrilled with their big screen exposure as the model had only previously made a handful of TV appearances since its US launch a few years back. John Maloney, the Vice President of Volvo?s marketing and product planning enthused: ?We knew that Twilight had a strong following and we were grateful to have the opportunity to be a part of bringing this exciting book series to life.?

Twilight only opened at US cinemas last Friday, but the craze began prior to the release with Volvo sellers inundated with requests for information on the C30 from the very un-Volvo market of teens and young women. Linda Swick, the president of International Promotions, the company that secured the product placement is surprised at the car?s impact. ?We knew it would have a certain demo that it would attract,? she says, ?but we didn?t think it would create this kind of buzz before the movie came out.?

Don?t worry Linda, neither did we. Buzz around a Volvo? I suppose it beats the Ford Anglia in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

https://pic.armedcats.net/j/ja/jayhawk/2008/11/24/blog_00374_twilight_sparks_interest_in_volvos.jpg

Source.

::sigh:: i am ALLLLLLL for volvo making money but did it have to be as a result of the twilight series?

Damn, I like that car but now I don't think I can.

LOL vampires drive volvo AHAHAHAHAHAHA
The books I read they drive Lambos and Ferraris
Gods drive 911s :3

also: why did you marry a 12 year old girl :p
That is SUCH a teenybopper movie.

Last edited:
Grrrr, stupid tweens! they see a car that is in an overrated movie driven by the main star and all of the sudden its their dream car!They'll need a safe car because they won't know how to drive correctly.

[/rant][/annoyed]
I no longer look at Volvo's at being good cars now because of this.

Meh more money for Volvo, how can that be bad? I'd still consider getting a C30 despite this movie. Hitler himself can rise from the dead, buy one, and rape Bambi while running over small children with it and I'd still consider getting one.

I mentioned to Sonia, just after posting this, that I am going to be pissing of A LOT of people. Not intentionally, but still...

?If you lived forever, what car would you live for??"

:blink:

What is wrong with you people?

LOL vampires drive volvo AHAHAHAHAHAHA
The books I read they drive Lambos and Ferraris
Gods drive 911s :3

That's because vampires are whiny, angst-ridden pussies. (Spike is probably the exception, but just barely.)

Meh more money for Volvo, how can that be bad? I'd still consider getting a C30 despite this movie. Hitler himself can rise from the dead, buy one, and rape Bambi while running over small children with it and I'd still consider getting one.
a documentary told me that bugs were commissioned by hitler and early ones were made by jewish slaves in concentration camps.

Image:MHV_VW_K%C3%A4fer_Typ_82_01.jpg

thats a nazi military "strength through joy car"

My car however, was built buy the mexicans.....
That's because vampires from twilight are whiny, angst-ridden pussies.

fixed'
The ones I read about have car chases in their speedy cars
"slow down, some of us aren't immortal!"
"baby in a bad enough car wreck neither am I! :D"

Really?..... REALLY, guys?

Why should this deter you from wanting a C30? Because you're worried you'd be at the pump and a tweenager would come screeming up to you say "OMGEEZ!!! DID YOU KNOW EDWARD HAS THIS!?!?!". It's not gonna happen.

/The median I.Q. in the US is 100, that means that half of the people have double digit I.Q.s.
//Whatever gets more people to read 500+ page books is "A-Okay" by me....
///... even if it is mindless, pop-scifi drivel.
////My friend said in the books he drives a silver R, but since they don't make em anymore, it was a C30 for the movie.

That's because vampires are whiny, angst-ridden pussies. (Spike is probably the exception, but just barely.)

Damn, now I feel the need to find a photo of his car, and I can't.

The Google-Fu has failed me!

Spike was one of my favorite characters. He started out as such a badass, got that chip in his head so he couldn't hurt anyone, and got angsty about not killing. That was just classic, a Vamp having an existential crisis about having to play nice with his food!

I really liked the C30. :/

What I hate about Twilight is that vampires are UNDEAD. THEY ARE NOT SEXY.

Also, they can't have a sex drive. Vampire's drive is to suck blood. Ours is to make babies. They're not even human, in that sense. >.<

Damn, now I feel the need to find a photo of his car, and I can't.

The Google-Fu has failed me!

Spike was one of my favorite characters. He started out as such a badass, got that chip in his head so he couldn't hurt anyone, and got angsty about not killing. That was just classic, a Vamp having an existential crisis about having to play nice with his food!

You FAIL at Google! :lol:

Spike's beloved car was the exceedingly rare "Starlight Black" four-door 1959 Desoto Fireflite Sportsman.

Here's a regular 59 Fireflite in silver:

2791091476_8fb20da9c2.jpg

And another:

Toronto_Fireflite_494.jpg

IIRC, you won't find one *quite* like it, because they were replicas built for the show.

Here's a screencap of the car I found:

LoversWalk663.jpg

"Real" vampires do not drive frigging Volvos. They drive real cars, like Plymouth Furies or that DeSoto. The most bad-ass vampires drive Jaguars, of course!

vlcsnap_16189681.png

vlcsnap_16182165.png

vlcsnap_16185002.png

Last edited:
I think I missed some popculture phenomena related to vampires.