TGA Ratings

I had a look on tvtonight but the most recent stuff I could find was from week 35. :(

Looking through some of the statistics on tvtonight.com.au it looks like TopGear Australia was SBS's highest rating programme through-out its run despite the fluctuation in viewer numbers. :D

Apologies for the delay in the creation of the TGAU Spec Ep Discussion thread for the final ep. I genuinely FORGOT TGAU was on last night! Only remembered as I turned the lights off to go to bed :lol:

So sorry for that.

So it seems the ratings have sort of stabilised around the 600XXX mark. TGAU is getting another chance by SBS, probably because of the money thats been invested into the program. But they'd want much higher ratings if they are to stand a chance in S2.

So hopefully they're first episode back is GOOD rather than BAD like the this series.

*fingers crossed*

Low ratings and the end of the season....good luck guys ;)

Actually the ratings stabilised at the end and through-out the entire series TGA was SBS's highest rating programme.:rolleyes::p

Apologies for the delay in the creation of the TGAU Spec Ep Discussion thread for the final ep. I genuinely FORGOT TGAU was on last night! Only remembered as I turned the lights off to go to bed :lol:

Thats okay. I PMed Adunaphel and he made one for us.;)

Actually the ratings stabilised at the end and through-out the entire series TGA was SBS's highest rating programme.:rolleyes::p
Monday 7.30p is SBS' highest rating slot, no matter what they show there. Mythbusters and TG UK always topped the week in that slot as well.

However, it isn't like TG UK has always rated as high as it does now, here are some older figures to paint a more complete picture of its rise:

11th September 2006 - 699,000
29th January 2007 - 625,000
5th March 2007 - 589,000
2nd July 2007 - 758,000 [a season debut, probably season 9]
23rd July 2007 - 829,000

(I'd like to have more figures, but as it was relatively low rating, it wasn't included in all the ratings reports of the time, and nearly always came fifth)

From season 9 onwards TGUK started climbing massively, the Polar Special got over a million, and season 10 averaged around that.

The publicity around Hammond's crash built Top Gear to where it is now in Australia, I think the ratings from the episodes filmed before then show that TGAU is capturing that core car show audience at the very least, the ones who are long term Top Gear fans are watching the Australian version.

As such, the sponsors of TGAU have who they want, Shannon's and Castrol especially. However the draw for advertisers is the female audience in the UK version, that probably isn't there as much.

Obviously TGUK will out rate the AU version, but I think the gap is a sustainable one.

Interesting to note that Top Gear UK's return to SBS with the first show of series 11 managed to bring in 1.067 million viewers. That's more than any episode of Top Gear Australia and close double the average rating for the series.

It's also further evidence that a huge number of Top Gear viewers haven't warmed to Top Gear Australia. Such a shame the producers of the local version haven't been able to work out what it is about the UK show that makes it so much more appealing.

:(

Interesting to note that Top Gear UK's return to SBS with the first show of series 11 managed to bring in 1.067 million viewers. That's more than any episode of Top Gear Australia and close double the average rating for the series.

It's also further evidence that a huge number of Top Gear viewers haven't warmed to Top Gear Australia. Such a shame the producers of the local version haven't been able to work out what it is about the UK show that makes it so much more appealing.

:(

WOW! That's a HUGE kick in the guts for TGA.

They won't get to many more chances to lift their game when the series returns.

Hey, TGA producers - YOU NEED TO WRITE STORIES, NOT JUST FILM PRETTY PICTURES.

:)

Nobody really expected TGA to rate as well as TGUK does.

That's a crock. You did. ;)

From season 9 onwards TGUK started climbing massively, the Polar Special got over a million, and season 10 averaged around that.

There is a school of thought put forward by New Inventors judge Mark Pesce that torrent downloading can have a marked positive effect on a show ratings. Whereby people will download the ep from the UK and then spread the good word to their friends. So when the episode finally arrives here there's a ready audience eager to see the show. Sort of like unofficial word of mouth pre-publicity. There's even a suggestion that the DrWho producers deliberately leaked torrents of future eps to build hype.

And if you think about it, torrenting really hit its stride at about season 9.

:)

Last edited:
No I didn't. Where do you get that from?

I had high hopes for the show and enjoed it quite a lot, but I was never under the illusion that it would (or even could) be as good as Jeremy and the boys.

No I didn't. Where do you get that from?

I had high hopes for the show and enjoed it quite a lot, but I was never under the illusion that it would (or even could) be as good as Jeremy and the boys.

Just razzing ;)

Here's a theory.

Let's call a million people a 10/10 rating. And the Polar Special achieved that.

Most TG Season 10 eps got 900,000 - effectively 9/10
The average for TGA was around 650,000.

So given that logic, wider Australia rated TGA at 6.5/10.

Sounds about right. Probably a point below FinalGear forum rating, which is to be expected.

I doubt even the producers of TGA would have dared hope for ratings higher than TGUK.

I don't think stories like this are based on pure speculation:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24459514-26103,00.html

THE second episode of motoring TV show Top Gear Australia has slumped in the ratings.
Producers had hoped to crack the one million viewer mark last night, but instead only 674,000 tuned in, down more than 250,000 viewers from its premiere the week before.

SBS director of television Matt Campbell admitted he was disappointed but said it was not "a disaster'', and there were many examples of TV shows that went down and up again.

Or this: http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertainment/tv--radio/aussies-shift-gear/2008/09/29/1222650971026.html

SBS has much riding on the success of the eight episodes of Top Gear Australia and will hope audiences top the 890,000 that watched the most recent British series. Reports that SBS invested $11 million in the franchise appear overblown (TV head Matt Campbell calls it "a ridiculous claim"), but the show is still expected to cost between $200,000 and $300,000 an episode.

Fusion Strategy's Steve Allen says local versions of shows almost always rate higher than the originals. "We don't think this will be a poor imitation," he says, "but to be as good will be the test.

Apart from Steve Allen obviously not knowing his a*** from his elbow, there was a strong, albeit unofficial, vibe that TGA would be a solid 1m rating show.

Let's not try & rewrite history - it didn't meet expectations, but it recovered enough to get another shot.