Car Stereo Help

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
Ok, here's the deal:

The stereo in our 1993 FJ80 Toyota Land Cruiser is shot. This is the second stereo we've had. The first factory stereo lasted through years of vibration, dust, and abuse before the CD player finally gave it up. My dad replaced the original factory stereo with a refurbished factory unit, but it didn't last too long.

What I'm looking for is a stereo to replace the now (mostly) dead refurbished factory unit. What I don't want is a standard sized deck with an adapter kit that won't look right. The 'Cruiser has one of those double-tall decks.

This is what I don't want:
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/11/30/l_c85f618cad531768b334789872ca25de.jpg

Here is what I ideally want:

• Fills the entire mounting area
  • Not annoying with flashing lights and animations
  • Simple, intuitive controls
  • Aux input or iPod interface
  • CD player and radio
  • Fits with the look of the truck.

One possibility is something like this: A standard-size stereo on top and a 2-way radio underneath. We do a lot of off roading and it would be nice to have something like this, but it is more expensive and I don't know if anyone will actually install something like this for me.

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/11/30/Dash2.jpg

Now, this might be too expensive, but I'm entertaining the idea.

So, anyone want to help me out? I know fuck-all about car stereos, the last one I messed with had two speakers and my dad and I installed it in my 1976 Volvo.

If you want the two way radio dealy, go for it, there must be people who do that. As for the headunit, company wise i'm not sure, but double din ones these days are mostly touchscreen/screened/flashy animation types.

I'd prefer a single din, it has everything a double din has and what you want and those double din ones are definitely more than 'just a little more' expensive with the screens. Or there are double din with the second slot used for storage, but it blends better than a single din.

edit: one of those OEM Toyota double din players aren't bad, the ones with CD MP3 and a radio, but the buttons are made large and chunky. if you can find one off a junker, or ebay (if you don't want to spend much)

Last edited:
Actually, Pioneer (anyone detecting a running theme here?) makes a nice, non-laser-lightshow double-DIN unit in their Premier line. It's called the FH-P800BT, and it looks like this:

FH-P800BT_main_Lrg.jpg

No laser light show. No touch screens. No display screens you can't work with gloves on. Just a bunch of easily used buttons and a "rocker" knob to control everything, plus a wireless remote you can stick elsewhere in the truck. It has built in Bluetooth (so you can use it as a speakerphone or have it automute when you get a call) as well as direct USB control of an iPod.

The problem with sticking the 2-way under the radio is that heat will kill one or the other unit fast, and you'll have crosstalk.

Edit: Forgot to add the URL for the unit. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Source/CD-Players/Premier/FH-P800BT

MSRP is $350, but you can find it for a lot less. And believe me, it's WORTH the cash.

Last edited:
^Where do the plugs for the ippod and usb go?

edit: nvm, found it, it looks quite nice, but is not cheap :|

It controls the iPod through a standard USB-to-iPod cable, available anywhere. You plug it into the back of the unit and run the cable through to whereever you want it in the car.

FH-P800UB_Back_lrg.jpg

It makes for a very neat install. And if someone or something screws up your iPod cable, you can get a replacement for cheap at any WalMart.

edit: nvm, found it, it looks quite nice, but is not cheap :|

Compared to other FH desks of anything resembling the same quality and power, yeah, it IS cheap.

Last edited:
I hadn't thought about the heat issue of staking those radios - that will be a problem, especially out in the desert.

I really like the look of that Pioneer, it is a real possibility. It is a bit expensive, but my dad always taught me that cheaper is not always better. I'm willing to pay for quality.

The Pioneer Premier units usually seem to last a long, long time. :D As I have noted elsewhere, they're a great buy/value and I use them myself with great success.

One of my favorite features is that most car burglars have no idea what the "Premier" on the headunit means, and since the thing isn't shiny or glitzy, they tend to overlook it and either leave it in the car or go burgle someone else's car instead. I had a friend who had her Jag burgled - they cleaned her out of the CD collection, the mirror ornaments, even took the owner's manual and spare fuse kit from the glovebox - but the Pioneer Premier head unit was left alone.

Last edited:
That's good to hear. I like longevity and buying for the long-term, as is evident by the fact we still have a '93 Cruiser with over 190K on the clock. :)

With regard to being put into an off-road vehicle, would, say, rubber inserts between the mounting bracket and the head unit be of any use? I wonder how these top-of-the-line units are designed with regard to shockproofing above and beyond the usual requirements.

That kind of depends on how much space there is for mounting, if the tolerances are too tight then it probably won't fit.

They might be, but typically there's no room between the DIN sleeve and the vehicle's supports to deal with that.

Usually, the higher end units have better epoxying jobs on the components and much better shock buffers on the CD players.

I'd so go for the Pioneer stereo :mrgreen: I have an older Pioneer deck in my Sunfire and my dad has the same one in his Camaro and they're both still working great, much much better than some of the other stereos we've had in our cars before.

h130DEHP47Ddmtp.jpg

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=10427

Its 200$. not bad for what it is. I really like it, its simple, easy to use and it has the ipod connector thing on the back so you can add the cord to plug into your ipod headphone jack. :mrgreen:

You could also look for a used Pioneer AVIC-D3 for around $400 or so. That might be over your budget but it is a full-fledged navigation/CD/DVD/iPod/radio system.

@above - it's got like 5000000 buttons and it's got the silly laser show.

You could also look for a used Pioneer AVIC-D3 for around $400 or so. That might be over your budget but it is a full-fledged navigation/CD/DVD/iPod/radio system.

I'm not interested in the navigation, most of them only work on-highway anyway. Also, we have other GPS units, including one with USGS maps designed for off-highway use. I always thought those nav systems looked really out of place in SUVs, and it would look especially silly in our 'Cruiser.

I'm all about simplicity.

I'm not interested in the navigation, most of them only work on-highway anyway. Also, we have other GPS units, including one with USGS maps designed for off-highway use. I always thought those nav systems looked really out of place in SUVs, and it would look especially silly in our 'Cruiser.

I'm all about simplicity.

In that case you could take a look at the AVH-P4000DVD. It has a few more features than the one Spectre mentioned but it may be worth the extra cost to you. If you don't like the touch screen or lack of built-in Bluetooth, the FH-P800BT is available for $265. The AVH-P4000DVD can be had for another hundred bucks.

Thanks for the research cvrefugee, but I don't think an LCD display system is what I'm looking for.

I purchased a new model Pioneer head unit with a iPod controller; all I will say is do not bother going for the "iPod controller" feature, because it is much to comberson to try and navigate your iPod with the receiver; it is much easier to simply use your iPod wheel to navigate through your music files. Plus, you dont have to hear the constant "beap.. beep...beep" sound (every time you push a button, or wheel) that Pioneer doesn't allow you to turn off.

What I am getting at is some receiver allow you to connect your iPod, but will not control your iPod directly. This is fine in my opinion, since nothing can beet Apple's wheel control.

Thanks for the info, Aarmin. All I really want it to do is have a hard-line so she doesn't have to use an FM Transmitter. It would be nice if it charges too, but really, that's all I want.

Add me to the majority who favor a Pioneer deck. I've got an ancient (single DIN) Pioneer deck with a input jack for my MP3 player in it, I've installed it in 3-4 different cars and it's even had a heater core erupt next to it. Still going strong.

Hey Spectre (or whoever), is heat soak really a problem when stacking a head unit and a CB radio? I could understand a little interference (and maybe that could be solved with a bit of plastic and a mess of kapton tape.) I was thinking of running that arrangement in my car just to complete the whole redneck package.