thinking about a G35 coupe

people need to learn that the RX prefix means nothing more than rotary powered it doesn have anything at all to do with performance. Thats why there were 3 generations of RX-7 because they made 3 generation of 2 seat rotary sports cars. If the RX-8 was supposed to be the next RX-7 they would have called it the RX-7.
But that's the thing, Mazda has created an expectation for the RX cars to be bonkers sports cars that are going to kill you but you will have alot of fun in the process. The RX-8 is very much marketed as a sports car, it has the looks, the heritage of the RX-7 (implied if not overt) and it's a 2+2. To me that's a case of false advertising, RX-8 makes you think of an RX-7 regardless of what you say, its just the way it is.
Also the 300ZX (Z32) had 2 turbos not one.
Can't believe I would make a mistake like that........... Its one of my all time favorite cars :hangsheadinshame:

The turbo failure in the B5 S4 is a result of a combination of 3 things. the throttlebody boot (TBB) the bypass valves and in early 2000 - 2001.5 S4's the F hose. If any of these things are damanged it will allows the trubos to go into surge (which kills them) Fixes for all 3 of these problems can be carried out by a home mechanic for as around $430 (if you do them all at once 350 for ARP silicone TBB $35x2 for 710N Bypass Valves and $25 for a new F hose) I am not going to say that the S4 is a paragon of reliability but it's not as bad as everyone likes to say it is you just need to take some preventative maintanence (definitly do the bypass valves and inspect the TBB)

But most B5 S4s on the market today are getting up in mileage, and the turbos tend to go around 60k miles. If those three factors were not taken care of by the previous owner, you may be in for a poor surprise. Since you seem well-versed in the intricacies of the S4 too, do you remember when the timing chains are recommended for repair? I wanna say 100k, but I know there was an issue as to when they actually needed it vs. when Audi thought they needed it...:?

Thank you all for the help

No offense to anyone, but the opinions on here aren't really that high on my list of things to consider when actually spending money on something. I have been a member of this forum for 4.5 years and a car fan since I was in 8th grade. I am not a car idiot and not going just do what the conclusion of this thread tells me to do.

I use this as my "brain trust." I have my own thoughts and feelings about cars, so when I think about buying a car I am scued by my preferences. I can have facts wrong or wrong information that makes me not consider a car that I should. So opening a thread like this gives me a lot of different view points that are great for decision making.

Such as the GTO. I never would have even thought about that if someone didn't suggest that.

good looking
fun to drive
back seats
cheap to buy
cheap to run (if I can restrain myself(which I don't think I can))
cheap to insure

Then there are the people who don't like the G35, that's fine for them I like it and don't care if everyone you know who drives one is a prick. Also I bet I could find a lot of girls who drive GTOs, so any car can be a girls car. It only depends on where you live and who you know.

Keep all the suggestions coming they are great.

Also my budget is like $14,000 not $20,000 so stop stretching it.
Plus in San Diego most cars are more expensive then there are other places, so a car you might be able to get might be out of range here.

...GTO....

stop...THERE. :mrgreen:

But that's the thing, Mazda has created an expectation for the RX cars to be bonkers sports cars that are going to kill you but you will have alot of fun in the process. The RX-8 is very much marketed as a sports car, it has the looks, the heritage of the RX-7 (implied if not overt) and it's a 2+2. To me that's a case of false advertising, RX-8 makes you think of an RX-7 regardless of what you say, its just the way it is.

Hmmm. If I recall correctly Mazda also produced the RX2, RX3, RX4, AND RX5. None of those were real sports cars. I'd say the RX8 is more of an evolution of the RX-3 and RX-4 rather than a successor to the RX7.

Last edited:
Dunno, all I can say is that I did NOT miss the shape of the G35 a bit when I left LA 5 month ago. Luckily we only get the 350Z here, the G35 looks weird in proportion and besides there are plenty of nice cars out there for the same price.

What about an pre 2003 AP1 Honda S2000?? Those 2001/2 models should be around your budget bracket.

Thank you all for the help

No offense to anyone, but the opinions on here aren't really that high on my list of things to consider when actually spending money on something. I have been a member of this forum for 4.5 years and a car fan since I was in 8th grade. I am not a car idiot and not going just do what the conclusion of this thread tells me to do.

--snip--

Then there are the people who don't like the G35, that's fine for them I like it and don't care if everyone you know who drives one is a prick. Also I bet I could find a lot of girls who drive GTOs, so any car can be a girls car. It only depends on where you live and who you know.

You asked us for our opinions and we are providing just that. I personally dont like the G35 and I explained why (provided my opinion just like you asked). We all understand that in the end its entirely your call and if you like the G35 then more power to you - the most important thing is that YOU like whatever you buy.
That being said, buy a GTO :p

But most B5 S4s on the market today are getting up in mileage, and the turbos tend to go around 60k miles. If those three factors were not taken care of by the previous owner, you may be in for a poor surprise. Since you seem well-versed in the intricacies of the S4 too, do you remember when the timing chains are recommended for repair? I wanna say 100k, but I know there was an issue as to when they actually needed it vs. when Audi thought they needed it...:?

Honestly i am not completely sure i am currently at work and do not have access to my data files (what you don't keep all our car research in data files on your hard drive?) but i know that the general concensus was that audi might have slightly over estimated how long it would go. again much like the bypass valves it wasn't so much a weakness in the overall design so much as an outsourced part (tensioner in this case would fail causing an issue i believe) but i think it was 10-20k ish earlier than specified but again i cannot be sure

Hmmm. If I recall correctly Mazda also produced the RX2, RX3, RX4, AND RX5. None of those were real sports cars. I'd say the RX8 is more of an evolution of the RX-3 and RX-4 rather than a successor to the RX7.

In the intrests of truth the RX-3 was marketd as a sports coupe (it was pretty sucessful in racing as well) but yeah the only true 2 seater sports car with a rotary is the RX-7 all the rest are sports coupes or family 4 doors.. also a pickup but thats not an RX it's a REPU and i want one really really badly.

Last edited:
Honestly i am not completely sure i am currently at work and do not have access to my data files (what you don't keep all our car research in data files on your hard drive?) but i know that the general concensus was that audi might have slightly over estimated how long it would go. again much like the bypass valves it wasn't so much a weakness in the overall design so much as an outsourced part (tensioner in this case would fail causing an issue i believe) but i think it was 10-20k ish earlier than specified but again i cannot be sure

In the intrests of truth the RX-3 was marketd as a sports coupe (it was pretty sucessful in racing as well) but yeah the only true 2 seater sports car with a rotary is the RX-7 all the rest are sports coupes or family 4 doors.. also a pickup but thats not an RX it's a REPU and i want one really really badly.

I would do alot for a cherry RX-3. Alot. :ph34r:

I would do alot for a cherry RX-3. Alot. :ph34r:

yeah i have recently been having this crazy need for classic japanese cars like a KP-61 TE-27 or an RX2/RX3 all with inappropriate motor swaps (3sge Beams and N/A 20B respectivly

stop...THERE. :mrgreen:

The_Finn pretty much answered it already. However I just want to make it clear, I'm not saying that the RX-8 is a direct descendant of the RX-7 or that all RX cars were necessarily meant as purist sports coupes. What I am saying is that for a large majority the RX-8 will be associated with the RX-7 and will also seem like a logical successor to the RX-7. Using myself as an example, I had absolutely no clue about the RX2,3,4 and 5 up until about a year ago but I knew damn well what an RX-7 was. I suspect that I am far from atypical.

Andrew911tt,
I personally take absolutely no offense, I would not think of you very highly if you were to buy a car based solely on the opinions of this board. One piece of advise though, if it is more expensive to get a car in San Diego I would expand your search to look at cities somewhat nearby. Also if you don't need a car for day to day commute, which I suspect you don't since you don't have one yet, I would suggest picking up something that you can make into a project. Seeing as how you are in CA and cars don't rust to hell there quite as much I would pick up a 240Z and do an LS1/2 swap :twisted: but I'm crazy so don't listen to me.

Last edited:
Went with my other half to test drive a perfect example.
Had a great time and it was a great car but we decided we can rule out coupes for now.

so time to look for a 05 sedan with less the 40K miles, in silver, manual transmission, and all tan leather interior.

Also while we were test driving we drove a R32 they were selling for $15900. I couldn't believe that an R32 was so cheap.

I really didn't expect to have so many people hate the the G35

I think its a great car:
good looking
fun to drive
back seats
cheap to buy
cheap to run
cheap to insure

also I looked at autotrader.com (zip 92128) and the m3 and m5 are to expensive. I was stretching to get to $16,000

G35 is a really good car, its a lot cheaper then a comparable 3 series year and miles wise ( only 330 compares, 325 is a lot slower ) . they are easy to find with a lot of options. it looks good too.. my gf has one(4 door) and i picked out one for my best friend in HS brand new when they first came out (he doesnt know cars well)

since you are paying yourself and have low budget i cant rag too much on it being a girls car. to me all 3 series (minus the M), A4s (minus S4), C class etc are all girls cars. men should drive mid-size model or high performance model.

Now if you want young and successful ( im 22 ) and classy, did you ever check out a Jaguar? against popular belief late model cars are very reliable, cheap for what you get, still under warranty etc?

check this link and see if you like it: low miles(20k), warranty that can be extended, way more class than any jap car etc over $50k new this example was $17k i believe

1589.jpg