The Balance of Top Gear

Dan9-1

Car(s)
2006 Ford Fiesta
Is it just me or is there more balance in this series of Top Gear? I was thinking about it whilst I was watching this last episode....

Compared to series 10 or 11 there seems to be less "cocking about" and more about cars and people relationships with the cars (like in the American Muscle car film) with a good backdrop and a road trip. Some of the films have been a bit about making funny stuff happen such as the Episode with the Avantime and the Blender..... but has anyone else realised that the news has got news in it..... not some random picture that we don't see.

Anyone else notice this?

Discuss

They try out, season by season, what works and what does not. What we are viewing in this current season is accumulation of feedback from six years.

*shrug*

I actually thought that this series was going back to more what 9 was, they do a big thing, only have 1 car review, SIARPC and news, but yes, with less cocking about as it were and this one is more grounded, less far fetched. In terms of balance, 11 was the series which did it for me and some of 10.

But I know this will be different for everyone.

thats true, i think they are becoming a bit more like that jacked up fifth gear but still far from it. liked it better when the only thing they would talk about was giants from harry potter world and cars from doctor who, its getting a bit too serious for my liking.

Personally, I like it. I thought season 9 was the best until season 12 started airing. So far, its been ace. I believe that season 11 was a mild slip up...there was not too much memorable stuff from it.

I like the season 12 so far. I think so far this season is the most balanced. Wish they will go to 24th hour race again sometime:)

Personally, I like it. I thought season 9 was the best until season 12 started airing. So far, its been ace. I believe that season 11 was a mild slip up...there was not too much memorable stuff from it.

Why do you like an very lopsided season like series 9?

I think probably seasons 6-8 are amongst my very favorite. The race to Norway, the first amphibious cars, the original small car football game, the caravan holiday, super car road trip to Millau Viaduct and the original Veyron vs Plane race, the 10,000 pound supercars..

Those seasons are just simply the best for me. Cinematography? Check. Fun scenarios? Check. Cocking about? Check. Serious car stuff? Check. Top Gear perfection? Check mate.

Spot on.

Have to agree about 6-8. 10 and 11 were good, but it seems like series 12 is much better so far. It is more grounded, but I like that really, as 11 seemed like it was out of touch with the times. The reviews have been good, SIARPC is back on track, and the magic spark between the presenters is still there. I also like how they have had May be a bigger part of this series than he was in 11. I can't wait to see what the rest of the series will bring. As it lies so far, this is my favorite series yet.

Looking at the current series, and taking into account Mr Wilman's blogs before series 11, they are evidently aiming for a return to the halcyon days of 6-8 (7 being my all time favourite series.)

The most recent show, 12x05, had all the elements necessary with a head-to-head track test, a bit of larking about and wanton destruction in the name of "research", a good guest who is actually a petrolhead and who managed a seriously good time around the track, the Cool Wall and an interesting race that actually had some kind of point to it.

However as has been pointed out already in the SED thread for this show, while all the elements were there is didn't quite all come together and I think Wilman hit the nail on the head in his recent blog. What with all their other commitments, Top Gear Live World Tour and so on the guys are knackered. I can sympathise having started a new job in the middle of June last I've only taken one long weekend out and although I am pretty much working as hard as ever I know I'm not as productive and the results are not as good because I am in desperate need of the Christmas break to recharge my batteries. I think the same is happening here, and while I realise that the TG brand is huge, it is only a success because of the hard work put in by Jeremy, James and Richard and everyone else involved. If they are burnt out the formula will cease to work.

I admire their efforts to get back to the Top Gear the majority of us here love, striking the right balance between the various elements, but they need to ensure they have the energy to maintain the quality, aren't just going through the motions and not focus too much on the global brand and the ?/$ signs.