Call for UK to ban motorcycles?

I say we go the other way - make everyone ride a 250cc motorcycle for the first two years on the road. Reduce traffic, and everyone will have to know what it's like to be on two-wheels (and how to drive a manual).

I say we go the other way - make everyone ride a 250cc motorcycle for the first two years on the road. Reduce traffic, and everyone will have to know what it's like to be on two-wheels (and how to drive a manual).

I agree with this. Getting rid of bikes won't reduce congestion, it will cause more. Plus, I think if more people knew terrifying it was to ride a bike on the freeway surrounded by cars* then I bet they would look out more for motorcyclists

*I do not know what this is like, the closest I've been is a Jeep with no doors, but I have an idea.

I really don't like motorbikes, but I think instead of banning them we should be allowed to open our car doors when they try to squeeze past. 2 strokes are nasty things though, and are usually ridden by chavs. So get rid of shitty mopeds and trial bikes but keep all other bikes, especially Harleys.

That whole bike for 2 years thing is a stupid idea, and if it was the case I wouldn't have learnt to driv... ride. Some of us don't care about bikes and will not want them forced upon us. Anyway you're more likely to be killed on a bike, so is it really a good idea to put all the new learners out there on them... No.

I really don't like motorbikes, but I think instead of banning them we should be allowed to open our car doors when they try to squeeze past. 2 strokes are nasty things though, and are usually ridden by chavs. So get rid of shitty mopeds and trial bikes but keep all other bikes, especially Harleys.

That whole bike for 2 years thing is a stupid idea, and if it was the case I wouldn't have learnt to driv... ride. Some of us don't care about bikes and will not want them forced upon us. Anyway you're more likely to be killed on a bike, so is it really a good idea to put all the new learners out there on them... No.

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/11/13/facepalm.jpg

Why don't you just stand on the side of the road with a big bat and whack at every motorcyclist that comes by :rolleyes:

Blind_Io said:
I've got to disagree with you man. That's just too extreme. A lot of people just don't care to ride bikes, plus there are plenty of places were you can't ride year round. It would be nice if more people could empathize with motorcyclists, but forcing people to ride isn't the way to do it.

*I do not know what this is like, the closest I've been is a Jeep with no doors, but I have an idea.
Multiply that 'fear', or sensation of speed by 10. The upshot is that you are so much more aware of your surroundings and just how agile you are on a bike. That more than makes up for any fear, at least in my fairly limited experience.

If I was lane-splitting, which is legal in a lot of places, and someone door jacked me, I would kill them :|. Just thinking about someone doing that pisses me off, if it happened and I could still stand ... I would, without a doubt, stab them, strangle them and pummel them to death in their own car.

On a lighter note, two-strokes are nasty, but they are sooo much fun.

If I was lane-splitting, which is legal in a lot of places, and someone door jacked me, I would kill them :|. Just thinking about someone doing that pisses me off, if it happened and I could still stand ... I would, without a doubt, stab them, strangle them and pummel them to death in their own car.

Don't know why, you shouldn't be queue jumping in the first place. It's like going to the front of a supermarket queue because you have a narrow trolley. It's just not going to wash. Fair enough where police bikes are concerned and pedal bikes but motorcyclists should use the road like everyone else.

And because of this very irritating habit people in cars are going to get pissed and do something like I mentioned.

By the way I'm not saying I want to kill motorcyclists at all. Okay maybe I want to chain their wheels together instead. :p

Why don't you just stand on the side of the road with a big bat and whack at every motorcyclist that comes by :rolleyes:

I like the idea but I think I would just use a net.

Funny enough I got + repped for that post too. :lol:

Last edited:
Don't know why, you shouldn't be queue jumping in the first place. It's like going to the front of a supermarket queue because you have a narrow trolley. It's just not going to wash. Fair enough where police bikes are concerned and pedal bikes but motorcyclists should use the road like everyone else.

And because of this very irritating habit people in cars are going to get pissed and do something like I mentioned.

By the way I'm not saying I want to kill motorcyclists at all. Okay maybe I want to chain their wheels together instead. :p

Even where lane splitting is LEGAL? I don't have a problem with motorcyclists lane splitting and I am not one. As long as they don't get in my way farther up the road, then I really couldn't care less.

Even where lane splitting is LEGAL? I don't have a problem with motorcyclists lane splitting and I am not one. As long as they don't get in my way farther up the road, then I really couldn't care less.

He's just jealous because motorcyclists are using a legal provision to the fullest extent and getting to their locations faster than the cagers stuck in their slow lanes. :cool:

Hey, why not look at the DMV database, find everybody who has a motorcycle license, go to their homes and kneecap them? That'll learn 'em.

Anyone here ever read Bike? The Ogri cartoon on the back page has been ripping the piss out of every single piece of anti-motorbike legislation that was ever proposed, let alone passed. Leg protectors and flashing high-visibility jackets are usually involved. I'd really like to see how this one is dealt with.

Meanwhile, I wonder how Ogri would react if, hypothetically, he could ever meet Jeremy Clarkson, who would call him a homosexual.

Following the publication of evidence submitted to the Transport Select Committee on behalf of ACPO and recent media reports, David Griffin, Deputy Chief Constable of Humberside Police and ACPO lead on motorcycle safety said:

?ACPO does not advocate the prohibition of motorcycle use on public roads. It is nonsense to suggest that ACPO is seeking a ban on motorcycles, given that most police forces in the UK actively deploy and consider motorcycles to be a key part of their transport infrastructure.

?ACPO?s evidence to the Select Committee referred to consideration of restrictions on the use of off-road motorcycles in environmentally sensitive areas where noise and environmental damage have arisen as a significant concern to local communities. This evidence was given in response to a specific request for ideas for potential future consideration and has not been developed into a formal ACPO position. It is not intended to suggest restrictions on the access of law-abiding road-using motorcyclists to areas of outstanding natural beauty or national parks.

?In evidence to the Transport Select committee on motorcycling in 2006, ACPO specifically supported the environmental and congestion benefits that power two-wheelers can bring. ACPO does not have a position on imposing specific power limits on motorcycles and supports the industry?s voluntary code on top speed restriction. Alongside a range of other road safety bodies in the UK and Europe, ACPO believes it may be appropriate in future to consider restriction on high-powered machines with extraordinarily high top speed capabilities.

?As a body ACPO is committed to working closely with the Industry, the Standards Agency, Motorcycle Trainers? Association and riding groups such as the BMF and MAG to collectively consider sensible measures and policies that can reduce the unacceptable misery and catastrophic loss caused by the excessively high casualty and death rates of motorcyclists in the UK, whilst at the same time preserving a legitimate form of transport for both leisure and work purposes.

?I hope this provides clarification and removes any doubt and confusion over ACPO?s position on motorcycle safety.?

http://www.acpo.police.uk/pressrelease.asp?PR_GUID={9DEA1A8C-AFDC-4103-A525-0D859A9690BD}

^^^ Anybody else noticed that in the few key statement they made to appease motocyclists they wen't absolutely hyphen crazy??

Motorcycle Trainers? Association and riding groups such as the BMF and MAG to collectively consider sensible measures and policies that can reduce the unacceptable misery and catastrophic loss caused by the excessively high casualty and death rates of motorcyclists in the UK

I honestly don't think most of these people have endured loss caused by bikers. I mean first off all they talk about road deaths like its something as horrible as Omaha beach on D-Day. I know many many many people who have lost close friends in accidents, and all of them are fairly liberated drivers. They don't seek to ever cause a accident, but they understand the value of life, and the importance of enjoying it while you still can.

Last edited:
Don't know why, you shouldn't be queue jumping in the first place. It's like going to the front of a supermarket queue because you have a narrow trolley. It's just not going to wash.

Your metaphor is an absolute failure, you're an idiot and you should get the fuck out of this thread as you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Instead of them jumping ahead of you in line. It's like they have their own cashier, which allows them to get through quicker, yes, but it also means you don't have to wait for them, it's one less person in your way.

There was an interview with the guy that's in charge of speedcameras in Sweden.
And he said that there are fewer % that are speeding on bikes that in cars..

And that's despite the fact that bikes cannot be fined by speedcameras here..

Also might have something to do with motorcyclists not stopping for police.

^Most bikers don't need to stop for the police since they aren't breaking any traffic-laws...

Bikers who speed generally don't stop for the police.

Define speed. If you mean every biker who exceeds the posted speed limit, then that is clearly utter bilge. If, however, you are talking about people who regularly ride at 120mph+ then you may have a slight point.

Your metaphor is an absolute failure, you're an idiot and you should get the fuck out of this thread as you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Instead of them jumping ahead of you in line. It's like they have their own cashier, which allows them to get through quicker, yes, but it also means you don't have to wait for them, it's one less person in your way.

except, that as soon as they stop lane sharing, they take up space in the queue again.