Gran Turismo 4 Lap Times

Well the downforce certainly helps!!!!:p

Had to lose some power but certainly worth the trade off.

1:36.798 people :)

I owe the time to you my friend, I probably wouldn't have thought of the wing!!!

1:37.637.

Hats off to you, that time is brilliant. I'm not giving up just yet and there's more room for improvement but cutting another second off that time is going to take some serious effort...

The wierd thing about the wing is, when I first chucked it on I was a little over budget, but I wanted to see if it gave me any time gain. It did, but with downforce on max my terminal speed at the end of the back straight was pretty much identical. It seems GT4 gives you "free" downforce, i.e no drag. Then I had to lose some grunt.

Might try and put in a faster time today :p

Is anybody successfully running suspension?

Ok here is my setup.

1989 Nissan 300ZX

Stage 1 weight reduction - 1,200
Super close Gearing - 5,700
Stage 1 Turbo - 4,800
Sports Exhaust - 1,600
Racing flywheel - 1,050
Wing - 500

Total - $14,850

Wing - 500

Errrr, wings are 1200 Cr. I think you might have gone back to look at the price and saw the 500 Cr it cost to remove the wing. But did the gearbox really make that much of a difference? Never even considered that.

So they are. My apologies gentleman the last time is inadmissable due to being set with an illegal car!! (cue cheers from Hazardous!!!)

My new set up is:

Nissan 300ZX

Stage 1 weight - 1,200
Gearing - 5,700
Stage 1 Turbo - 4,800
Sports Exhaust - 1,600
Sports Flywheel - 450
Wing - 1,200

Total - 14,950Cr

However the new time is 1:36.759

Man you guys suck. I was expecting Ayrton Senna to knock on the door and present me with a wreath when I got my 1.38 time and now you're 2 seconds faster! I'm gonna have to stop playing drunk and get some methamphetamine if I'm gonna compete with you all.

dammit you guys! stop being so freaking quick!

I propose a challenge in Diahatsu Midgets next, no mods allowed :p
first one to get bored loses :p

I didn't get much out of the close gearing. I only did about ten laps but could not get below 1:38.

Ja404, I tried suspension and my current time is done with it fitted but I don't see it giving much of an advantage. It reduces body roll which helps in the faster corners (mostly the first three) but there are not many settings you can tweak and with those I couldn't do much to improve the car's handling. Mind you, I didn't test it that much and I'm still not really consistent enough with my driving to get anything out of small changes.

Not giving up yet, two more days to go and I have a few tricks I want to try still... ;-)

Yea I didn't find the suspension to be much help either. The gearbox does seem to make a difference, but i've put down faster times without it. However, currently i'm in the low 1'40.xxx range. I tried Necx0's setup, and couldn't even come close. I don't think I can get anywhere near 1'36.xxx short of doing some serious grass cutting/wall riding.

I thought I might going somewhere when I stumbled upon the rather rare Silvia 240RS (236hp/970kg), but that hasn't panned out yet.

OK either i am a driving God or I'm doing it RONG!

because I got into the 1.26s quite easily after a few tries with the 300ZX

Stage 1 Turbo - 4,800
Suspension tune - 3,200
Chip - 1,500
Wing - 1,200
Sports Exhaust - 1,600

only 12,300 credits

what am I doing wrong?

edit : I'm a dumbass. i'm at the wrong track...
:facepalm:

^^HAHAHAHAHHAHA sorry dude but that was epic FAIL!!! :p

Hazardous has this round I think because I really can't be bothered doing another 50 laps to shave off another 3 tenths. Blindingly fast lap time and will be interested to see his car set up.

It would have ended about 10 hours ago if I'm not mistaken...

So it's safe for me to hand out my setup. The final trick that gave me the final second was... wait for it... Nitrous. Even on full power setting you can pretty much use it throughout the lap, and once I got the hang of keeping my finger on the button whenever I was not changing gear I took that big slice off my time with ease.

Nissan 300ZX
- Weight reduction stage 1 (1.200cr)
- Wing (1.200cr)
- Stage 1 Turbo (4.800cr)
- Nitrous (5.000cr)
- Racing flywheel (1.050cr)

So all out power prevailed in the end despite the tyres.

While waiting if anyone else has any monster times to submit at the last moment I'd like to hear opinions on my proposal for next challenge:
- 100.000 credit budget
- 2WD only
- New cars are allowed but race cars are not
- Car price doubled (basically, if you buy 5.000 credit it amounts to 10.000 credits in the budget leaving you 90.000 for tuning, but if you buy a 30.000 credit car which amounts to 60.000 you have 40.000 for mods)
- No nitrous

Any thoughts?

You dirty drag racing straight line loving happy gas snorting cheater!!!!! :p Bloody Nitrous. You sir fight without honour haha

Interesting challenge, quite complex! I was going to propose Group B cars but I didn't win haha

I don't quite get the new rules (lol I didn't get the previous rules so who am I to speak)...

the price of the car itself is doubled, then deducted from the 100K limit, yes?
why is this? to put the effort into the tuning? Wouldn't it be easier to have X credits for the car and Y credits for the tuning?

also, you didn't post the track we would be doing this... i'd like to know this time :p