MythBusters busts Brainiac

Dogbert

Helsinki Smash Rod
Car(s)
Roger Dean's Rocks
The latest episode of MythBusters is a viewer-submitted myth special, and one of them happened to involve "an internet video where 2 grams of Rubidium destroys a bathtub like a hand grenade"... now where have I seen that before?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m55kgyApYrY[/youtube]

:hamster:, what do you have to say for yourself? :p

I have lost all faith in the world and the people who live there.

Well Top Gear "busted" Mythbusters so Richard still has the last laugh. Brainiac may be a science show but it's still more of a goof than real science.

to start with, mythbusters didn't really use a very effective method to introduce the alkali metals into the bath tubs. so they didn't really bust this myth. i thought the braniac's dissolvable container was a much better solution.

to start with, mythbusters didn't really use a very effective method to introduce the alkali metals into the bath tubs. so they didn't really bust this myth. i thought the braniac's dissolvable container was a much better solution.

Totally agree with that. Mythbusters didn't get the stuff submerged - it just sat on the top, so most of the energy dispersed without having to move the water. It had revisit written all over it.

Even though Brainiac faked those explosions, it's still absurd to me that the Mythbusters call it busted based on the resulting reactions when they "submerge" their metals in half an inch of water. I've personally witnessed the difference of potassium on top of water versus completely submerged, and needless to say the difference is evacuating the room. Though it's certainly not the first time the Mythbusters have gone about things in a manner that rendered weird results.

Haha, this is one for the scrap book, gotta download the new ep.

Well Top Gear "busted" Mythbusters so Richard still has the last laugh. Brainiac may be a science show but it's still more of a goof than real science.

How?

Haha, this is one for the scrap book, gotta download the new ep.

How?

In Top Gear they tested if you could beat a speed camera by passing it at a very high speed. They found that 175 mph was enough to not get a ticket.

On mythbusters they tested the same thing, passing it at ~130mph and declaring it busted. After seeing the TG video, they revisited the myth and found that it was indeed possible to fool a speed camera with speed.

In Top Gear they tested if you could beat a speed camera by passing it at a very high speed. They found that 175 mph was enough to not get a ticket.

On mythbusters they tested the same thing, passing it at ~130mph and declaring it busted. After seeing the TG video, they revisited the myth and found that it was indeed possible to fool a speed camera with speed.

Than they went on to call it improbable because they had to use a jet powered car to do it, acting like 175 is some level that can't be done in anything but a jet powered car. That's IS-F speed and under what a lot of nice yet not exotic cars can do. A DB9 can do that, a viper can, hell a common z06 does that with room to go.

Also, the taxi/jet one had to be redone, Mythbusters tried to be scientific and failed, Hammond just was doing it for a laugh and got it the first time. :lol:

Than they went on to call it improbable because they had to use a jet powered car to do it, acting like 175 is some level that can't be done in anything but a jet powered car. That's IS-F speed and under what a lot of nice yet not exotic cars can do. A DB9 can do that, a viper can, hell a common z06 does that with room to go.

Also, the taxi/jet one had to be redone, Mythbusters tried to be scientific and failed, Hammond just was doing it for a laugh and got it the first time. :lol:

If I've heard it right it is the difference between the laws of the UK and the US. The US only requires one photo, so if a speeding car triggers the camera to flash, that's it. But in the UK it requires two photos to charge the speedster. What TG had proved is that you can zoom past the camera's field of view in the second picture(if you are traveling faster than 175mph), not the first one, so there's really no contradiction between the two shows. Still, TG beats Mythbusters in every aspect:mrgreen:

You need 2 pictures here too, one of the plate of the car (a lot of states don't require front plates) and 1 to show who is driving.

Arizona is a state that has the mobile vans and no front plate laws, and when they give you one they give you the picture of your rear plate and the picture of your face.