iPhone 3G Vs. Archos 5/5G (another comparison thread, sorry)

iPhone 3G Vs. Archos 5/5G (another comparison thread, sorry)

• Total voters

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Four from the top and two from the third row, UK.
Car(s)
'12 MX-5 PRHT, '02 Freelander, '90 Disco 1 Bobtail
So I was just reading Ahpadt's thread, but since the discussion didn't really apply to my decision, here's my own thread.

Edit: I'm looking for something to replace my PSP. Must have good quality music, good browser and video playback. 3G essential because I'm bored with Wifi. Not bothered about games. WIll be used mainly for web browsing and listening to music, with some video thrown in.

To nick part of his comparison:

iPhone:

+ Amazing GUI
+ Easy to use
+ Very small
+ Feels fast when you use it
+ Only ?99 on a ?30 a month contract
+ Amazing MP3 player
+ 3G web access

- MGTEK software for windows media player only compatible with iPhone 1.0 currently
- Limited video playing ability (mp4 only AFAIK)
- Demonstration model I tried wouldn't load FG forums properly (text only :?)
- Stuck with it for 18 months
- Only 8GB space
- Fiddly on-screen keypad

Archos 5

+ Much cheaper (60GB version is ?236, about the same as an iPod Touch)
+ Huge video playing ability, right up to native DVD files and HD soon
+ Big, clear screen for web browsing (at full width)
+ Huge number of add-ons (including a full GPS sat-nav dock)
+ Much better on-screen keypad
+ TV/internet radio
+ Ability to connect a 3G usb stick

- Questionable sound quailty (not tried one, just going on reviews)
- Large size compared to iPhone (I'm trying to replace my PSP with something easier to carry around)
- No 3G as sold, only wifi. adding 3G needs a docking station

Archos 5g

+ Same as 5, but with only 30GB
+ 3.5G internet

- Only 30GB
- Not available until January at the earliest (I think)
- ?350 before paying the 3G contract

So, which one would you choose?

Last edited:
Just tried another iPhone in an 02 store, and it loads FG fine. :)

Added usage to the first post.

Get the iphone you won't be sorry.

I had a Archos and it was crap. It was dead out of the box. I sent it back, got a new one and the HDD died after 3 months. It was fixed and died again after a year. It lacks many codecs which you need to pay for and the browser isn't all that good. Also, it just wouldn't work on many wifi networks that other devices would have no problem connecting to.

I would not get the Archos. Get the iphone ;-)

After my experience with the iPod Touch i would say the iPhone when you get use to the touch screen its just fabulous :happy: I don't know anything about the two others but I know the iPhone is great :yes:

It is another ?70, but I suppose it would be worth it. I actually know someone who is a manager at the Carphone Warehouse, so I might be able to get a better deal on it too. :)

It is another ?70, but I suppose it would be worth it. I actually know someone who is a manager at the Carphone Warehouse, so I might be able to get a better deal on it too. :)

I doubt there will be much movement if any on the price

^ I'm thinking more along the 'free gift' lines. Phone companies are always giving away free stuff with their deals. I'd like a free PS3 but that's pretty unlikely.

There are alot of things missing from the Archos as a daily use multimedia communication sort of device. The big one being that it doesn't have instant messaging or text messaging support currently. You would think that with web browsing and email capability, it would have that.

Two, is the fact that the Iphone and its Windows Mobile brethren only require you to carry one device around, whereas with this, you'll have to have a separate cell too. That could be a good or bad thing, and depends on your preference of having your phone seperate from your media device is, obviously.

The last thing is, I haven't seen a single indication that any of the cellular carriers are supporting the use of the Archos right now. Perhaps in the near future this will be the case, but there are no guarantees that just because it has the ability to connect, that the carriers will let you use it.

Not to throw a kink in things, but for about the same price you could get an Ultra Mobile Lap top that has supported technology and use that for a similar use. Yes, they are a bit bigger and you'd have a harder time walking down the street listening to music with it, but you'd have the full size keyboard, and be able to do alot more with it.

So yeah, given the choice between an Archos and a Iphone, I think I would go for the Iphone since it is one device and already has support for all the technology that it is able to use.

JH

For the record, me personally I would go for the HTC Touch Pro, but I'm also not an Apple freak like some. -jh

Last edited:
Do you have to be an Apple freak to buy an iPhone?

It sure helps....:p

I guess it was my way of saying I'm not a fan of Apple. They make allright stuff but its just not for me. I do find that nearly every Iphone/Mac owner that I have met is at least a mildly fanatical about it, and some are certainly freaks.

JH

I voted Iphone3G. Guess what I am using right now to type this post ;)
It is just so good for wasting time when you should follow a lecture....:p

There are alot of things missing from the Archos as a daily use multimedia communication sort of device. The big one being that it doesn't have instant messaging or text messaging support currently. You would think that with web browsing and email capability, it would have that.

Two, is the fact that the Iphone and its Windows Mobile brethren only require you to carry one device around, whereas with this, you'll have to have a separate cell too. That could be a good or bad thing, and depends on your preference of having your phone seperate from your media device is, obviously.

The last thing is, I haven't seen a single indication that any of the cellular carriers are supporting the use of the Archos right now. Perhaps in the near future this will be the case, but there are no guarantees that just because it has the ability to connect, that the carriers will let you use it.

Not to throw a kink in things, but for about the same price you could get an Ultra Mobile Lap top that has supported technology and use that for a similar use. Yes, they are a bit bigger and you'd have a harder time walking down the street listening to music with it, but you'd have the full size keyboard, and be able to do alot more with it.

So yeah, given the choice between an Archos and a Iphone, I think I would go for the Iphone since it is one device and already has support for all the technology that it is able to use.

JH

For the record, me personally I would truly go for the HTC Touch Pro, but I'm also not an Apple freak like some. -jh

I'm not an Apple fan either, I just like the look and feel of the iPhone. I'll be forced to use iTunes for a while, but as soon as MGTEK supports it I'll break both of iTunes' legs and leave it by the side of the road. :D

I never really thought about messaging because I'm not particularly looking for a phone, but having it all rolled into one instead of carrying my phone and player (admittedly my Sammy U600 doesn't take any space) sounds a bit stupid when I can pay less and get the lot. The Archos does have e-mail, but it doesn't support Microsoft exchange (unlike the iPhone) so I can't get my work e-mails unless I use a machine to autoforward eerything to a different address.

I had a look for the HTC touch Pro, and found the Xda equivalent sold by 02 here in the UK. I would be paying about ?15 less for that than the iPhone on the same contract (with more talk time/texts) so I'll look into it.

Just when I thought I had made my choice. :lol:

I hate to break the bubble, but the HTC phones doesnt really stand up as great MP3/music players (unless its one of the super-newest ones)..

It's this one:

touch-pro.jpg

:)

Meh, all those HTC phones still has that old and slow OS as "backbown", no matter how fancy the TouchFLO is.

Does Archos device require you to pay a monthly data plan subscription? Remember the iPhone monthly 3G data plan can be expensive, esp for an 18 year old who i assume is not working full time.

Here in the US is almost $60/month, which im guessing will be probably closer to 50-60 pounds a month in UK (i dont know since i haven't reviewed UK data service plans with their wireless providers).