The saga of James May and his 'shirts'

As an American, I was initially surprised that the TG guys wear their own clothes.
You never see that over here.
I imagine everybody on US TV gets dressed in clothes they'll only wear once by some overpaid flunky. :rolleyes:

I do prefer the TG way - much more interesting and charming.:D
:tvhappy:

The most extreme example of this is miss New York Hilton who went to a David Letterman (american equivalent to Jonathan Ross) and had on one glamorous outfit on just to be photographed by the paparazzi outside the studio, she changed outfits for the actual studio interview, and might have changed again for her exit. To ppl like her being caught publicly wearing the sameoutfit twice is equal to celebrity suicide

James May annoys me, he needs to get a hair cut! :thumbsdown:

You can critisize his dress sense, you can critisize everything else... but DO NOT, whatever you do, critisize his hair.

James May's hair is better than anything you, me, or anyone else, has ever, and will ever achieve in my/your/their entire life/lives.

I'd buy a jumper like his blue stripy one tomorrow if I could.

Pretty common rugby shirt pattern? Ive got one... :lol:

You decide to join this forum and this is your first post? Really? :cry:

Another one-post wonderkid who trashes anything related to TG. Do you really have anything better to do? I guess not by the way you introduced yourself to this forum :thumbsdown:

personally I don't see anything wrong with him having a handful of those shirts.
And some of you guys have a quite a lot of time on your hands, finding all those screenshots :D

It doesn't take long to find screenshots if you keep them properly catalogued

...erm...I mean...I guess

You know, what amazes me is how long his clothes last. He's had that pink/purple jumper for years and it still looks fine. My clothes tend to look pretty worn and faded after a year or two, despite my always buying colour care washing products...
Well, perhaps he buys the same clothes three times so they seem to last forever...

I have a theory that it's down to the dyes. I have had a magenta and purple stripey jumper - and in my case, it is a machine-knitted jumper and not a rugby shirt - for around 20 years now. I have bought other jumpers since then, but that one just keeps on going. My other geriatric jumper is a woolly one with penguins appliqued on the front; thank god James doesn't have anything analagous with that one!

You know, what amazes me is how long his clothes last. He's had that pink/purple jumper for years and it still looks fine. My clothes tend to look pretty worn and faded after a year or two, despite my always buying colour care washing products...
Unless you are a sweaty person, wash everything on the gentle cycle. And also, don't use something like "Fo' Sho" ghetto brand detergent.

He and I think alike. I make clothes purchases onnce every five years, and I buy virtually all of my clothes at Target or Khol's. I just recently bought a lot of clothes, let me run down the list:

-One 1/4 zip sweater, dark blue.
-One 1/4 zip fleece, dark green.
-One long sleeve Colombia shirt, light brown.
-Three long sleeve t-shirts, dark blue and white.
-Five short sleeve t-shirts, dark blue, dark red, white and brown.
-Two pairs of Levi Strauss Signature jeans, dark blue.

Can you see a trend? :lol:

The two pairs of jeans replaced the two I already have (bought five years ago), those are now used for when I take pictures, since I have to kneel down and get generally dirty for nature photos.

I always wear the same five pairs of Cherokee brand chinos for work, and shirts are provided for free from work. For the summertime, I buy print button up madras style shirts you can get for like, $3.00 in November. Just as long as they have a breast pocket to put a pen and a pack of smokes.

I like to buy sturdy, unfashionable clothes. And I also wear stupid t-shirts given to me for free. You know, vacation location t-shirts, promos, etc. I hate to spend money on clothes, and if the wife allowed it I would buy Dickies and Carrhartt clothes that last forever. And I wear clothes given to me for Christmas, my mother usually get some good sturdy clothes from Lands End or L.L. Bean for me.

I truly pity slaves of fashion...EMANCIPATE YOURSELVES!! Real, honest good people judge you by your actions and character, not your clothes, or any other material possession.
-

^I'm the same way. I just wear the same old jeans and t-shirts. I have for ever, and I will keep doing so. Screw fashion, clothes that last FTW.

To get away from the stripes, what about that flowery one he seems to wear in the studio segments every second week? I don't know why I notice it, but I do.

I like to buy sturdy, unfashionable clothes.

Dude, then join me in the quest to bring lederhosen back!! The pair i have looks like it could be more then 50 years old when closely examined, but despite that their perfectly serviceable. Furthermore you can't wash leather, and whats more awesome then that? Nothing.

Last edited:
You probably just fall within the margin of error...

And have we forgotten about James' penchant for the Boden and FCUK flowery shirt collections?

Momo, I cannot believe you know the brands :lol: Very impressive! I've just been on the Boden website and I definitely notice some very distinct James style shirts on there!

That's the internet equivalent of walking around with a "Kick Me" sign pinned to your coat.