Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

couldn't you just ship it in parts? Like ship the wheels, the car body, and the engine separately, so it doesnt count as a car, then put them all back together whenever you have the time to do so.

besides, you're gonna have to take everything apart if you want to restore it anyways.

yeah but that would require being in a country where i can buy a Integrale to take it appart (or paying someone to do so)

yeah but that would require being in a country where i can buy a Integrale to take it appart (or paying someone to do so)

There is no law against importing a car to use for off-road purposes as well as to store. Quite a few people who try to get cars in end up sticking them in storage for ages while they figure out what to do.

Though after that I have no idea what you would do.

Did Lada ever make a convertible car? When walking my dogs I pass one and I'm not sure if it's the owner himself who did a bad job at making a convertible Lada, or Lada themselves (since the fit & finish is crap, as is standard on most Ladas)

the reason I think it was a home made botch job is that I seem to see bits of the roof, etc, inside the car, with the softtop on. AFAIK the car doesn't even run, doesnt have plates or anything... :?

Porsche are opening up a new dealership about five minutes from my house, I found out today when we drove past and they'd unveiled the front of the building. Dad is trading in his Bimmer next year. I told him it's a sign...

If Ford sold the new Fiesta in the United States, and brought over all the cool toys (automatic temperature control, heated windscreen, keyless drive), and didn't charge an arm and a leg for it (like Mini does for a loaded Cooper with similar options), I'd totally buy one.

Hell, I'd get on a waiting list. And pay sticker. lol

You won't have long to wait. It'll be here in 2009.

Remember, Ford's the only one of the Three that has significant cash reserves and a low burn rate. They have, what, three or four years worth of cash left at current burn rate?

Maybe it's just me wanting what I cannot have, but I like the new Fiesta. They'll probably neuter it a bit before bringing it here. Engine choices will be limited, and the tech goodies that the Europeans take for granted probably will be left at the port.

But right now, a smaller car like the Fiesta, with a good engine, and auto climate control, Bluetooth, and a heated windscreen would totally fit everything I want in a car right now (since I cannot afford the sports cars that I want).

Actually, they're going to crank them out down in Mexico - they converted an F-150 plant.

I think they'd be best off just offering three models - a totally stripped one with nothing, a totally loaded one with everything, and an SVT version.

If the SVT had the turbo 5 from the Focus, with the trick front differential, that'd be a fast little car.

I'm just car-less at the moment, and don't like the current prospects, but it looks like 2009 might be a good year for new models. I can only hope.

Friend of mine just sent me this:

Melted+Caliper.JPG

It's the right rear brake caliper from his 2000 Ford Excursion that had a brake service 18K ago.

Maybe it's just me wanting what I cannot have, but I like the new Fiesta. They'll probably neuter it a bit before bringing it here. Engine choices will be limited, and the tech goodies that the Europeans take for granted probably will be left at the port.

But right now, a smaller car like the Fiesta, with a good engine, and auto climate control, Bluetooth, and a heated windscreen would totally fit everything I want in a car right now (since I cannot afford the sports cars that I want).
Took the words right out of my mouth. The Fiesta looks like it will be it. As I can't wait any longer for the Suzuki Swift Sport, and I know I probably shouldn't even consider a Fiat 500, if that even ever makes it here.

Best to go for the Hopped up one, whether it's a SVT or a RS or ST or whatever, get it in a manual and it should hold it's value alright and be able to sell it. Unsporty models with sticks just don't sell in the US. Plus it'll cost as much as a used MkV Golf.

The best part of winter driving. . .

. . . cruising along on the median spitting up salty slush onto tailgaters.

With the 944? Sounds like tail happy fun.

So, just for a giggle, I went to have a look at this. Obviously it's a candidate for a Carbage nomination, what with having stripes, big wheels, unnecessary faux-carbonfibre add-ons and being an automatic at the same time... There were a lot of plus points, though. It didn't have anything stupid on the inside save for racing-look mats (easily chucked away), everything screwed-on would come off quite quickly, the stripes were decals... The brakes were painted red, which is harder to remove and it did have a huge exhaust, too. It had been serviced properly and it had a rust-proofing done.

Sadly, it had been visibly damaged. Somebody had shunted into the rear, and the driver's side rear panel had been resprayed as well as the bumper (replaced probably) and the hatch. Not very well done, either, and when I peered under the trunk lining I saw bondo, random stickiness and some rust-colored stains. The passenger side door had been painted too, but was probably due to a separate incident.

^all of that's forgivable, but they're asking 18k for it, which is just MADNESS (or SPARTAAAAAAA!)

oh well, atleast this is not Norway..

I've seen 3 X6s yestarday and another one today so far, it's really an epidemy now, I'm worried about the possible medical effects it may have on me.
I always try to take a look inside to see what the blittering idiot who's driving it looks like and it's mostly women. I mean, I know women have wierd tastes in cars, but this is just too much. It must be the kind of women who are looking for a more upmarket replacement for their Nissan Micra convetible.