Hammond: Does the hamster drive a GTR now?

MattD1zzl3

2 Slow 2 Noisy
Car(s)
1996 & 2003 Mazda Miatas, 1995 Chevy Camaro Z28
During the most recent cool wall segment (12X05) The new nissan gtr came under dicussion, after much talking and almost calling it cool, clarkson says "And what are you driving these days?" to which hammond replies "A Nissan (unintelligible/grumble)". Than he puts it in uncool, seemingly following the "if we buy it its uncool" policy.

Did i miss something, or does hammond own a R35 GTR?

nah, that was just typical picture-what-would-happen-if-you-had-this-car-roleplay by Jeremy

Nope, he just asked it for Hammond to realize how uncool that statement would sound.

It's been done before, I believe with the VXR etc.

Its done before with the Nissan brand already. In one of the news segments Hammond raves on about the Nissan 350Z, and how cool it is.

Jeremy simply says the words "Well if you are at pub, and people ask what car you drive?"

Hammond replies "Nissan...your right its uncool.

that's why you don't say nissan, you say G-T-R. just because a company sells a load of econo-boxes doesn't mean they can't have cool cars too. this is one thing i would disagree on with clarkson.

that's why you don't say nissan, you say G-T-R. just because a company sells a load of econo-boxes doesn't mean they can't have cool cars too. this is one thing i would disagree on with clarkson.
That's what I was thinking too, although even saying that could come out sounding uncool and show-offy.

That's what I was thinking too, although even saying that could come out sounding uncool and show-offy.

Eh, people say "Corvette" even though it's "just a Chevy", so with the right car it's okay.

Eh, people say "Corvette" even though it's "just a Chevy", so with the right car it's okay.

yeah, but that's 55 years of heritage. Unlike 55 days. (not counting skylines here, which noone outside of england and japan know)

yeah, but that's 55 years of heritage. Unlike 55 days. (not counting skylines here, which noone outside of england and japan know)

Lets not forget Australia with the Skyline...we know all about it here! I believe it was one of Oz motoring rags that started the Godzilla nickname for the Skyline GTR.

I had the pleasure of watching Jim Richards and Mark Skaife throughly destroy the field during the 1990, 1991 and 1992 touring car champtionships and their unpopular (with the V8 diehards) Bathurst wins, despite all the additional penalties. Watching them hammer around my local racetrack, Mallala, is something I'll never forget :D

I agree with rx7_ted and Labcoatguy - the model names of Corvette and GTR have the cachet that perhaps the names of the manufacturers don't.

Last edited:

Yeah the Skyline is pretty well known in the states too. Although I think it's only cause it's in Need for Speed and Fast and the Furious

Its the roleplay, what do you say when people ask you what you're driving.

They've done it tons of times before.

Another good example of this is the NSX. What would you say if you had one in the UK? Though in the US, Honda had the good sense to badge it as an Acura. Maybe they should sell it as an Infiniti.

Another good example of this is the NSX. What would you say if you had one in the UK? Though in the US, Honda had the good sense to badge it as an Acura. Maybe they should sell it as an Infiniti.

apparently they are working on a 4 door one to badge as an infiniti.