Mk I GTI or Mk II GTI

GTI_BL

Car(s)
Mk5 Golf GTI
Which one would you guys pick? I was considering to get one of them few months ago, but ended up in some other problems. Now I'm considering a Mk I or Mk II GTI again;)

There are two answers to your question:

- If you are asking which is cooler - Mk I GTI all the way! The Mk II is generally driven by douchebags who put stockers and spoilers on their cars.

- If you are sking which is better to live with, as a daily car, and as far as maintainance - Mk II then.

You are talking about the VW Golf ... aren?t you?

If so, I?d pick Mark II over Mark I. The Mark I might be more fun, but the Mark II is overall the better Car. Mark II Golfs have proven to be rather well made, with few issues ... I?m not saying the Mark I is badly made, but the Mark II is better ... and I think it?s better looking.

Which one would you guys pick? I was considering to get one of them few months ago, but ended up in some other problems. Now I'm considering a Mk I or Mk II GTI again;)

The one with the air conditioner.

Eighties quad headlamps FTW.

Based purely on emotions, I'd choose the Mk1 GTI. However, the rational decision would be to purchase a Mk2 GTI. Simply put, the only Mk1s you'll find are either totally worn out bangers that aren't worth the trouble, or are fully restored examples that are worth up to ten thousand dollars/euros. At least with the Mk2, there are still clean, unmolested examples out there for a reasonable sum of money, if you look hard enough.

Eighties quad headlamps FTW.

Not if you manage to get your hands on a Rallye.

I'd love any quick '80s VW, and the Scirocco in particular rocks. Out of these topical two I'd have a red 16v MkII, though.

205 please!

It's a matter of compromise. The MKI is probably the most fun, but the MKII is more practical and reliable. I've already had a regular MKII and I found it solid but dull, so I'd probably look for a MKI in reasonable shape. If you get a MKII I think it might be worth to pay a few pounds more for the 16V so it has a bit extra punch.

MkII GTi is the FWD equivalent of NA MX-5.. similar weight and power.

I heard that Mk2 16v cost quite a lot more than 8v and Mk1 to keep it running, right?:hmm:

I managed to let a very clean Mk1 slip by...:wall:

Some 14 years ago my dad had a MKII GTi 16v, with the flared wheel arches and quad round headlights, car was red colored as well. Exactly like this one but with 5 spoke oz wheels. I would get one of these over an mkI for sure, good memories with this car.

http://img184.imageshack.**/img184/9437/gtisideck6.jpg
http://img184.imageshack.**/img184/gtisideck6.jpg/1/w800.png

Some 14 years ago my dad had a MKII GTi 16v, with the flared wheel arches and quad round headlights, car was red colored as well. Exactly like this one but with 5 spoke oz wheels. I would get one of these over an mkI for sure, good memories with this car.

http://img184.imageshack.**/img184/9437/gtisideck6.jpg
http://img184.imageshack.**/img184/gtisideck6.jpg/1/w800.png

Awsome looking 16v:drool:
But the rim is too big for me, prefer black with original rim:mrgreen:

The only reason to choose a mkii is because of the sound dampening, everything else is shittier. Mki FTW. I don't see how the mkii would have easier maintence, i have a mki and i have NEVER seen a car that is easier to work on. Plus why would you ever pass up a giugiaro design. My Rabbit hasn't ran in over a year and i still get more happyness out of it then i do my stupid wagon just cause its a cutie. If i could have a girlfriend that looked like a car, i would want a VW Rabbit girl. Think about all those taught and tight lines, with the little cheerleader skirt on. How could you pass on that, the equavilent mkii girl would have stretchmarks horrible fetal alchohal syndrome eyes

Last edited:
Mk II FTW. I had one, and loved it to death

but if/when you buy one, PLEASE don't put a rice spoiler on it or ridiculous wheels. Leave it as standard as it is, because it's brilliant to begin with

Another vote for a 205 instead :D

But it depends on budget and intended use. If you want to use it reguarly and don't have silly money to spend then MK2 16v big bumper model all the way. But a mint MK1 would be amazing......

I side with most of the posters here. When i comes to outright coolness, the Mk1 is unrivalled, but the Mk2 is a rising star. When i comes to living with it as a daily driver, Mk2 all the way. The Mk1 has a nicer looking interior imho, the Mk2's one is very dreary and black and massive. When it comes to the outside, it's a matter of taste, but i find a good Mk2 (like the one a few posts up) looks at least as good as a good Mk1. The Mk2 is a lot roomier inside, especially noticeable in the width of the interior, and rear legroom, both improved significantly.

It's been a while since i drove either of them, but if my memory serves me well, the Mk2's handling is a tad less sharp than the Mk1's mostly due to weight and slightly softer suspension, nothing really shocking when you're taking it to the limit, but a lot nicer every day. Also, the engines in the Mk2 are nicer to live with every day, mostly due to more low-end torque, although the 16v needs more revs than the 8v one. The Mk2 8v feels slower than the Mk1 in the higher revs, the 16v feels faster over the whole range.

I can't talk about the mkI but two friends of mine had a mkII 8V and it's a great car, very solid (except for some problems with the electric windows, the passenger's was very slow in both cars), great exhaust sound and a very nice kick in low revs. Sadly both died having covered around 300k km suffering the same problems, lots of oil consumption, engine shuting down all the time and finally dying.