What would you do?

Firecat

Politically Charged
I've seen a few segments of this on ABC, it's hosted by John Quinones. Basically they have actors do certain things and see how people react. Here are a few clips.

Muslim Woman
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3jZjm8xMwg[/youtube]

Teens beating homeless man or woman
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvzj8wyZ9PI[/youtube]

There were some other compelling ones like a guy abusing his girlfriend and such, but I can't find them online.

Have any of you been in a situation where you stood up for another person etc?

I hate "journalism," not to be confused with actual journalism.

Anyway, we'd all like to think that we'd stand up for what's right, but you never really know until you need to.

Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart. - Anne Frank

And so do I. The truly blackhearted, evil people make up probably one percent of the population, yet we as a society focus on that, only aware of the good of mankind when it is shown directly.

I am a compassionate person, and in those two instances shown, I would throw my self headlong into the defense of the victim, no matter the consequence. My wife often says that the reason I have back problems and poor posture is because I carry the burdens of the world on my shoulders. :)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc0mvKxUlnM[/YOUTUBE]

I'll contribute something useful to this thread later.

The videos wouldn't work for me, I think it's just my computer being lame though.

I have the same problem Jayhawk does. I've got a nice scar on my stomach and a slightly crooked nose because I'm such a nice guy ("you should see the other guy" etc). The one thing I absolutely cannot abide is to see someone, stranger to me or not, wrongly bullied or beaten.

It's not that other people are evil, it's that other people only care about themselves and usually can't be bothered.

I've seen a video (maybe someone intrepid can find it) of a guy getting hit by a car in the middle of a busy street, and it takes like a minute and a half for anyone to actually go over and see if he's alright.

You see in a lot of movies etc when someone is injured (maybe shot) someone will try to stop the bleeding by putting pressure. Is that a wise thing to do, considering that you may get blood on yourself (Not knowing if they were HIV+ or had any other blood-borne pathogen).

You see in a lot of movies etc when someone is injured (maybe shot) someone will try to stop the bleeding by putting pressure. Is that a wise thing to do, considering that you may get blood on yourself (Not knowing if they were HIV+ or had any other blood-borne pathogen).
Well, unless you get their blood in your eyes/ears/nose/ass/mouth/penis/open wound, you're alright.

Well, unless you get their blood in your eyes/ears/nose/ass/mouth/penis/open wound, you're alright.

And if you normally walk down the street with your penis hanging out, well, you've bigger problems than possible infection from HIV.

On-topic, I'd like to think I would help the people, but I guess I won't know until it happens (thankfully it's not happened near me yet).

If I saw someone bleeding out (and I'm not too busy being shot at myself) HIV would be the last thing on my mind. That's something that, obviously, could be very regrettable later, but I don't know if I could live with myself anyway if I just watched someone die.

If I saw someone bleeding out (and I'm not too busy being shot at myself) HIV would be the last thing on my mind. That's something that, obviously, could be very regrettable later, but I don't know if I could live with myself anyway if I just watched someone die.

If you got to actually watch someone die, I have two points about living with it:
1) Unless you're a high-level medical provider (trauma surgeon?) it's unlikely you could have done anything.
2) You're not complicit in the act of death-causing; that burden lies squarely on the shoulders of the drunk driver.

I could live with myself, but won't have to, since I can't think of anything more exciting than field medicine. For this reason, I am always in possession of 4 nitrile gloves and 1 field dressing. My backpack contains a field surgical kit, as does my glovebox. Moral of the story, people within 100 feet of me (disclaimer: EMT-P & medical student) are statistically less likely to die.

too complicated a question, get a easier awnser next time and maybe we can talk

you can reach my lawyers at 734-395-1228

Well it's very easy to talk unless you actually face the situation. Not sure about HIV but kids beating homeless guys it's kinda happens alot in certain parts of Moscow. There's like a movement of stupid kids, moslty teenagers to free Russia from "infected" aliens, basically aliens from less developed "...stan" countries. And every day there are news about students, workers (which are a lot) and residents being beaten sometimes killed. I faced those "accidents" 3-4 times, 6-7 guys and a few girls, all in black with metal stuff hangin, beating 2 men, never had the courage to interrupt them.

Well, I've never faced a beating or bleeding but I can say that downed power lines and fire don't really stop me from being Johnny DoGood. Too bad google updated their maps, I'd tell you an interesting story.

Well, I've never faced a beating or bleeding but I can say that downed power lines and fire don't really stop me from being Johnny DoGood. Too bad google updated their maps, I'd tell you an interesting story.

Because you were caught on spy satellite using a downed power line as a lasso to retrieve a baby from a burning building? That'd be awesome.

Because you were caught on spy satellite using a downed power line as a lasso to retrieve a baby from a burning building? That'd be awesome.
Well that's certainly imaginative! A car went over a cliff, took out a power poll, landed on its roof, caught fire. You know the routine. Google maps used to have a picture of the spot it landed, huge burn mark. I ran over and began helping people until my ****ing neighbors showed up and started scaring the crap out of my mother and g/f about how I shouldn't be near the power lines. The ingenious part was that the local police and fire department came from the side of the incident where they couldn't get to anything because of the location of the power line so we had to wait for the next city over to send their police and firemen. Everyone turned out fine, think the driver was cited for reckless driving.

I'll be the dick and say if someone was being beat up or something I'm not going anything. A 5' 2" 120 lb girl with bad lungs is not going to be much help unless someone is being assaulted by a little old lady with a walker.

I'll be the dick and say if someone was being beat up or something I'm not going anything. A 5' 2" 120 lb girl with bad lungs is not going to be much help unless someone is being assaulted by a little old lady with a walker.

I thought most woman of this size carry whips and chains at all times?

I thought most woman of this size carry whips and chains at all times?

I might except this state requires a permit for freaking pepper spray.
I hate living in pussychussets:mad:

I'd help, as long as:
1. I'm not very likely to be hurt (it would suck to get a scar from protecting a bad person)
2. I can come up with something that would actually help the situation

Just barging in on fighting people and imposing your values is probably gonna get you killed.

I have no idea how to help a wounded person, I don't have any fighting skills, and I'm not armed with anything more dangerous than a keychain. In most situations, I would not be able to help. Calling the police takes 1 minute for the call (if I can describe my location), and 4 minutes for them to come. Most fights like that last less than 5 minutes.