[12x06] December 7th, 2008

[12x06] December 7th, 2008

• Total voters
Wanted to add to Nate from earlier... A Dodge Corvette? :lol: that gave me a good laugh, thanks.

yep, i'll be the first to admit that i dropped the ball on that one. pointed it out to a mate earlier and he couldn't stop laughing. keeps telling me that i should take a look at his new Ferrari Gallardo...
you drink a bit of sambuca and before you know it, you lose the plot... :lol:

brilliant episode! absolutely brilliant.. over the top epicness, so good that i had to register here, and say it over and over again..

top gear is the best show in the world. 10/10

I guess Stigs Commie Cousing will appear in Vietnam as colonel braddock
v21024soewh.jpg
:mrgreen:

Found it all a bit ho-hum actually, the commie car bit in particular just dragged for me, until...until THE FIESTA review! It just built and built and built, and was a fantastic film.

I do feel for the Marina guys though. That was a nice example they destroyed.

Thats like saying "it is a particularly well polished turd".

good quotes (paraphrased coz i cant remember exactly)

JM "owning a rev counter is stealing"

JM " you cant have headlamp wipers" (why?) "because its aspirational"

JC is it green? *shots of bright green fezza against rich grass* "yes, very"

JC is it easy to park? " yes, its got windows and a steering wheel"
top stuff

Last edited:
I'm really glad that I'm not the only person who thought that for some unquantifiable reason it was decidedly lacklustre until the Fiesta test (which was outstandingly brilliant).

Great program. Jeremy obviously enjoyed the opportunity to live two of his fantasies: being Chairman Clarkson and being an elite soldier in Normandy 1944 (but without the unpleasantness of people actually shooting at him. BTW, was live ammunition being used in that exercise ?)

The only thing that grated me was the intro to the communistic cars. Calling China (currently probably the best example of dickension capitalism) a communist country is american-level cluelessness. Mao has been dead for more than 30 years.

They should feel very proud their work on that episode, absolutely EPIC! Laughs all the way through, only thing missing was a russian Stig, but then we did get a dog. :)

Fantastic stuff, damn its going to be a long, long wait till series 13... Not a minute that wasn't fantastic.

Fiesta review was TG at its finest, film of the series and one of the best ever.

Two things:

1) Isn't sub-par, i.e. under par actually an ideal thing? Isn't it the kind of thing people spend years trying to achieve?

2) If this episode doesn't do it for you, which ones do?

under par is golf

sub-par is different and means below the standard. might just be a uk thing, i dont know, but everyone i converse with knows sub-par = not good

that aside, perhaps his expectations are too high or he just values other aspects of the show more than what we saw last night.

Great program. Jeremy obviously enjoyed the opportunity to live two of his fantasies: being Chairman Clarkson and being an elite soldier in Normandy 1944 (but without the unpleasantness of people actually shooting at him. BTW, was live ammunition being used in that exercise ?)

They were probably using a MILES system due the bright coloured attachments on the front of the rifles/MGs.

Great episode the Fiesta review was just the cr?me de la cr?me of Top Gear-ishness

Having been in the back of a Lada Niva sans seating (next to the LPG tank) going literally in a straight line from A to B across hills, fields, mud, rivers I think Clarkson and May were wrong about it. Would've liked to see a Polski Fiat 126 vs an original Mini cooper though :lol:

Very good episode ... Hammond and the two ugly-cars and that London Mayor were the only let downs.
Hammonds test wasn?t bad and great filmed, but it felt rushed and cut down in time ... and I don?t like both cars ...
The Guest ... don?t like him, don?t care about him, thought he was boring.

Jeremy and James testing a bunch of commie Cars ... pure Gold. Just like the Korean cars bit and the search for the first car with modern layout. Excellent. Going to rewatch that segment countless times ...

The Fiesta review ... oh boy. And just when you think it can?t get any better than a race in a shopping mall ... they go berserk. :lol: That?s up there in the Hall of Fame ...

Nice to see Richard talking this much :p
Nice review of the Caterham and Veritas. Very nicely put togeather and amazing camera work. Loved slow motion Veritas. :thumbup:
Nice graph also :p

".. it looks like a 1930's racing car.....from the future" lol

I don't know about you guys but I kinda like the Veritas. Its not a bad looker for me :) Yes I will agree its a but too high priced.
:lol: Mrs.Clarkson got a Caterham

"Somesay one of his legs gets longer when he sees a pretty lady and that I havent done one of these in a some time and I have forgotten to make up a second thing...." :rofl:

Loved the news. Its becoming hospital though :p
I would not be suprised if Richard came sneezing :lol:
Jeremy being number one werid crush and Will Young :lol: "Synthetic Saliva" :lol:

The communist cars were great. :lol:
Beutifully done .

SIRPC was nice also. Managed to sit through the interview and Jeremy getting the intro. :D
Nice to see they brought back things showed in earlier episodes.

The Feista review was absolutely BRILLIANT
Anyone saw the "Wilsford Cum Lake"? lol
The shopping center shot was again absolutely BRILLIANT. Great camerawork and loved the roof chase also.
Beach assult was had me in stiches for a very long time.
"Cold?.."
"Yeah I am.."
:lol:
Jeremys "Drive safetly" at the end :lol:

A brilliant episode and does not deserve anything under 10 :D

10. In all ways, shapes, and forms.
And just a shout out to those under-appreciated camera guys/girls: The cinematography was astoundingly, completely, and utterly sublime.
Just... wow. The whole episode had me with a huge grin on my face the entire time. That usually never happens for a full on hour! Bloody hell, well done TG team!

And I've come to a conclusion that Boris is, indeed, a 5 year old. (I'm sorry, but, the whole "Neeeeneeeen NEEUU" in the SIARPC segment had me going "Waaa?")

Although I think, after the military segment, I may have harboured a teensy liking to Jeremy. :| God, shoot me.

Quite enjoyed that :)

Hammond doing the intro and the Veritas and the Caterham was good but at the risk of being attacked by all the Hammond fans (of which I am one) he is no Clarkson, seemed to be a little unenthusiastic while commentating for the Stigs laps but hey minor complaint and I'm sure if he had the opportunity to do it more then the presentation would improve *please remember here I am a huge Hammond fan ;)*

Loved the Fiesta bit that was gold and poor May being driven off the road now that just wasn't nice :p anyway....

Cheers
JLM

First off: was I the only one that thought the fast lap segments were actually one lap? Because in this episode, you can see it is clearly pieced together from multiple laps, and for both cars: the camera on the Veritas' rollbar changes position(it's on top at the start, and goes to the side everywhere else), and lighting changes on the Caterham lap are blatantly obvious.

No "Are you wearing that for a bet?" joke.

I posted a rather legthy explanation of the Power Lap thingy and TG editing in general in other threads... and i guess the "for a bet"-joke got buried last week when Hammond replied "no". :)

Apart from this: 9/10 from me... had a great time, especially the Fiesta test was brilliant... Clarkson's overly serious tone when trying to do a serious road test had me giggling all the time, especially when applied to everyday situations like being part of a beach landing party or being chased through a mall... also, cum lake...

EDIT: And i very much liked the look of the Veritas! Beautiful in all its uselessness ^^

Last edited:
GOD BLESS JEREMY CLARKSON AND THE TOP GEAR TEAM !!!

This was brilliant!
The Fiesta test ...hair-raising when the beach assault started.
Every time I go into a mall I imagine what it would be like to powerslide a car on that slippery floor; I drifted my bike on the school corridors,I took it to the ski track(and got banned by "les gendarmes").
I have to do that some day -car drifting through the mall- it's exactly how I pictured it would be(I would have wet the floors too, for extra madness...with detergent...and lard...and two guys carrying a huge peace of glass,appearing out of nowhere in front of the two cars which, incidentally, would smash through it ... and a clown on a monocycle joggling sticks of dynamite while singing "my heart will go on" ... and a puppy with big, king eyes followed by a frame of the two cars accelerating...but, perhaps, I'm just very disturbed).

These guys...they're just the best.

The guest was top notch; number one so far (all episodes included) and the mall car chase was the greatest bit of entertaining television ever made...ever. I hope they will put the whole car chase video on the top gear video section (unedited ,with the mistakes, just like the Bullitt car chase).
When James pushed that button through the dashboard, I died laughing (yet,somehow,I'm writing this: Lazarus-or 'Laser'- eat your heart out).
It will be (hope not) impossible to top this one;the only way imaginable to top this would be...TWO car chases through the mall (just like 7 minute abs compared to six minute abs =)) )

Last edited:
I give it an 8, although too be honest I think this episode deserves more.

Caterham vs...whatever that was, was a really fun, interesting, and exciting comparison. That R500 looked like a complete animal with the stig behind the wheel, makes me wonder what one could do with some rotary power. :twisted:

The Communist cars bit was pretty good, but its what held me back from giving it a 9 or a 10. Feels like it wasn't very cohesive, too long, and where is the YUGO???

Mayor of London in the SIIRPC was also enjoyable. Is it just me, or does he seem rather daft? Not much foresight in that guy....

Fiesta review was classic, and really very creative. Haven't laughed that hard in a while, loved clarkson asking the marines if they were comfortable and whether he should turn on the heater or not :lol: