Canadian coalition government

Canadian politics: Capt. Submarine vs Tim "The Emperors Club" Hortons

I only read a quick article on this earlier today, and it left me with one question. The article said that the Queen's representative signed off on the move. Does the Queen really have power over your parliaments activities?

I only read a quick article on this earlier today, and it left me with one question. The article said that the Queen's representative signed off on the move. Does the Queen really have power over your parliaments activities?

Technically, yes, the Governor General is the highest authority just like the Queen in the United Kingdom.

But they are pretty much powerless, and do as they are told by the Prime Minister or parliamentary conventions. They rarely refuse, as you can see from the GG agreeing to suspend parliament today.

So Michael Ignatieff is the new leader of the Liberal party. Man, they are in shambles... first Chretien vs. Martin, then the Sponsorship Scandal, and lastly the Dion scandal (when was the last time a non-temp Liberal leader wasn't PM for any period of time?).

Will this save the Liberals? I highly doubt it... Ignatieff is a good academic, I'm not sure if has leadership skills.

I guess now we wait and see if they're going through with the non-confidence vote. If not, Ignatieff just snagged himself the top seat so easily.

ignatieff-dion_cp_11295750.jpg

Last edited:
Everyone's lost interest? :p

Well, this is a good position I think. Looks like he might be a sensible fellow:

OTTAWA - New Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff says he's prepared to bring down the Conservative government and form a coalition government, but he says it all depends on Stephen Harper, and what's in next month's federal budget.

Ignatieff was named interim Liberal leader today, and says it would be irresponsible to make a final decision until he actually sees the budget. Ignatieff says Harper poisoned Parliament with what he calls a 'spiteful' and 'divisive' economic update, and Harper must change his ways.

Ignatieff also says renegotiating the coalition agreement with the NDP is out of the question because if the coalition asks to form a government, the Governor General has to have confidence the coalition is solid and viable alternative to the Conservatives.

Sorry, I don't like Iggy at all. Under the assumption he becomes PM I doubt the government secrecy will end, just look at how he wanted to wage his leadership campaign. Judgment? He actually thought us joining the Iraq war was a good idea, Afghanistan is enough trouble let alone any other country. Maybe he is smart, but judging from what I've seen of him, he doesn't look like the fellow to look out for an ordinary person's interest. I have very low hopes for this leader.

To be honest I like Rae a lot better even though I know how badly things went during his NDP government in Ontario. He realized his mistakes thankfully, though in order to correct them we got an even bigger mistake...electing Mike Harris and his unfriendly slash and burn approach(it was not common sense).