WRX vs STi

In about 6 months I will be graduating college and getting a job in the real world. I have been looking for new cars, and have always wanted a WRX, I figure now is my chance.

I am wondering for the 2000-2008 generation Imprezas, what are the differences between the WRX and the STi? Is there a noticeable difference stock to stock between the two models? I have always thought the STi was just a little fancier and ran more boost, is this true?

Thanks

I see you're from Ohio, which means it's the USDM Impreza WRX and STi which I will be comparing.

In 2000, there was no USDM WRX. The GD chassis had not been released for the American market, and the United States was lagging behind the rest of the world in terms of rally goodness. Thus in 2001, for the 2002 model year, Subaru gave the United States its first WRX. This first year model WRX, with its rounded headlights, is known in the community as the "Bug-Eye." This model featured the open-deck Subaru EJ205, sporting a TD04 turbo rated at 227 BHP, and a 5-speed manual gearbox. Unlike the rest of the world which got 4 piston / 2 piston brakes, the USDM WRX cut corners and came with 2 piston / 1 piston brakes. There were a few minor upgrades for the 2003 model year.

In 2004, Subaru gave the Impreza a new face, usually called the 'blob-eye,' and its first STi. The USDM STi featured upgraded 4 piston / 2 piston Brembo brakes, various upgraded aluminum suspension pieces, a six-speed manual gearbox, a stronger R180 rear differential, DCCD or Driver Controlled Center Differential, and of course, the semi-closed deck 2.5L EJ2507 with ACVS, and the VF39 turbo. It also came with 17" forged BBS wheels, and the ginormous boot spoiler.

In 2005, the STi really starts to differentiate from its WRX younger brother. The center differential gets upgraded to a helical unit, and the bolt pattern changes from 5 x 100 to 5 x 114.3. Exterior wise, the STi gets rear fender flares.

In 2006, the Impreza gets yet another facelift, commonly known as the 'hawk' eye. The WRX however, gets its own upgrade as well. Carried over from the STi are some aluminum suspension pieces. The WRX also gets a bump in displacement from the open deck 2.0L EJ205 to semi-closed deck EJ255 2.5L. The main difference between the 06/07 WRX motors and the STi motor is the heads. No AVCS for the WRX. Brakes are also upgraded to FHI 4 piston / 2 pistons units, though they're not as large as the Brembos on the STI. The WRX still retains however the small TD04 turbo, and the fragile 5-speed gearbox.

In 2007, the STI gets an upgraded turbo. It no longer uses the IHI VF39, but the IHI VF43, which has known to be more reliable. The six-speed also has revised longer gear rations for better fuel efficiency, though some prefer the short ratio gearbox from the 04-06 models.

I'm not too familiar with the new Imprezas, but the same applies. The STi gets a bigger turbo, bigger brakes, 6 speed, DCCD, and for the first time, a noticeable difference in the exterior.

Last edited:
If I couldn't afford the new generation, then I would buy an old STi, but if I could afford the new gen, then it would be the WRx since they have a nice bump in HP over previous gens and you can get it in a semi-normal looking sedan vs that hatchback.

But here's an interesting idea:

Get an Impreza coupe from the late 90's to 2001 and swap in an STi powertrain. That'd be fun!

My friend swapped a v.7 STi motor into his GC this past summer. The car is silly fast.

engine_001.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

If you have to have a coupe. . .

hmm...

That red GC looks familiar...

In about 6 months I will be graduating college and getting a job in the real world. I have been looking for new cars, and have always wanted a WRX, I figure now is my chance.

I am wondering for the 2000-2008 generation Imprezas, what are the differences between the WRX and the STi? Is there a noticeable difference stock to stock between the two models? I have always thought the STi was just a little fancier and ran more boost, is this true?

Thanks

2000-2008 covers three different generations of cars, can you be a little more specific which generation youre referring to?

GC
800px-1995_WRX_STI_RA_GC8.jpg

GD
800px-06-07_Subaru_WRX_STI.jpg

GR
800px-2008_Subaru_WRX_STI_front.jpg

Specifying which one youre most curious about buying would help so ppl dont give you the usual generic answers of 'more powerful, stiffer suspension, more hardcore setup' because i'm pretty sure you already knew that.

edkwon,
To be more specific, right now I am looking at the GD chassis generation. But this may change when I get a job and know my limitations money wise then. I like the now generation Imprezas, but I like the GD's better

Thanks ChibiSF, that's a very good rundown of the differences between the models.

Also I want to stay away form swaps as of now, I need something fairly stock and reliable for daily use. (I do know that this can be done with a swap, but I'm looking for stock right now, who knows later)

edkwon,
To be more specific, right now I am looking at the GD chassis generation. But this may change when I get a job and know my limitations money wise then. I like the now generation Imprezas, but I like the GD's better

Thanks ChibiSF, that's a very good rundown of the differences between the models.

Also I want to stay away form swaps as of now, I need something fairly stock and reliable for daily use. (I do know that this can be done with a swap, but I'm looking for stock right now, who knows later)

Get the last of the Hawkeye generation GDs, the 07 models had a different turbo than the 06s i believe and more power stock, only tradeoff is the 5MT which is the same 25 year old gearbox as opposed to the much superior and stronger 6MT box in the Sti. But the downside to either car is, much like in the UK, the WRX and Sti have quickly become to car of choice for retarded douchebag kid drivers who constantly crash their cars, spend any time on NASIOC (the largest US subaru online community) and the number of accidents that occur from spirited driving is staggering.

Their collective stupidity have really driven the prices up and if youre in your early 20s and paying for your own insurance, depending on your area, it might be pretty prohibitive.

Myself, I would buy a 2009 WRX, save a lot on insurance, and have nearly the same power as the STI. Use the saved money to buy snow tires, and you are set for year 'round.

I was going to say this.

The STi is better for performance, but more expensive to buy and run. Unless you are going to track the car, you won't be able to really enjoy the extra performance on the street (wink, wink).

Also, consider that the STi is a big of a jackass magnet. You will get idiots wanting to race all the time. This is fun, but it gets old after a while. The most annoying part is when you get smoked, you will start spending money to make it faster. The next thing you know, you are just as bad as the idiots.

Well I don't street race at all (except for a quick take off once in a while to mess with the ricer next to me revving his engine) And I participate regularly in autocross and eventually want to do some track day events.
I'm used to driving a car that's slow in a straight line, I've had a Civic with a stock single slam, which was slow in a straight line, but very fun to drive due to the somewhat light weight and near go kart like handling. It was a great experience for me taking my car to the drag strip and being beaten by pretty much everything on site (except for the trucks and riced out Stratus) It makes you realize pretty fast that your civic was not made to drag race, although it was still fun a couple times a year. If I wanted a drag car, I would go for something with 8 cylinders, or just slap a turbo on my integra and start pouring money into the money pit of going fast.

Right now I'm quite happy with my Integra with simple suspension upgrades along with wheels and tires. A reliable and fun car to drive that's the top of my priorities.

Right now I'm pretty much set on a 06-07 STi, hopefully unmolested and adult driven. But we shall see when the time comes what is on the market, and how big my budget is. I will have plenty of time to search for the right car, since I have a reliable daily driver that I've already paid off, so there are no time constraints.

rlsimpso, this was by no means an attack on you or what you posted, just simply stating my views of what you suggested.

Also, consider that the STi is a big of a jackass magnet. You will get idiots wanting to race all the time. This is fun, but it gets old after a while. The most annoying part is when you get smoked, you will start spending money to make it faster. The next thing you know, you are just as bad as the idiots.

When it came time to buy my next car, i was moving towards either a 07 Sti or 07 LGT and i chose the sleeper look of the LGT because i had it up to here with the problems you describe above. Stupid kids and POLICE all know STis by sight and given owners no end of grief.

Now i drive however i want and i am bothered by NEITHER group, which makes me happy to enjoy driving my car in peace. I'm not endorsing getting a legacy, just giving you perspective.

When i was in my modded WRX i got pulled over a few times for NON speeding offenses (burnt out license plate bulb, burnt out headlamp bulb, window tint, etc) and each time they used it as an excuse for wanting to inspect my exhaust and pop the hood for illegal mods. Yes thats how much bad attn these cars draw, even when youre driving normally.

I might not know too much about Subarus, but...

Try your hardest to find a low mile or decent mileage un-molested Hawkeye ('06-'07). Ask the dealer to pull up records, or show you any records the owner left for the next. I did exactly that with my '06, every service copy I left on the passenger seat when I turned the keys over.

Though I personally love my '08, and previously owned an '06...the GD/GR series still needs the typical year or so to shake all the bugs out of it. At the moment I am even going through second thoughts, but I have faith that Subaru will fix my issues.

And I never felt the bit of a jackass in either of my STI's. I knew I stuck out in a crowd, but don't stoup to the level of the moron beside you on the road.

Last edited:
In 2000, there was no USDM WRX....[a whole lot of info]...

May I add that the 2007 WRX did not have the aluminum lower control arms, like previous models.

That is my ONLY annoyance with my car.

May I add that the 2007 WRX did not have the aluminum lower control arms, like previous models.

That is my ONLY annoyance with my car.

A bit of a sketchy factory tune too. I should have added that.

Oh, and the rear taillights get all chromed out. Which is awful. lol

A bit of a sketchy factory tune too. I should have added that.

Oh, and the rear taillights get all chromed out. Which is awful. lol

Yes, the "giddy up, horsey!" turbo spool is...odd. As are the taillights, but I can't see them, but they do send Civic/DSM ricers into conniptions, which is good.