Cars v. Bikes

Sure you can enjoy what a bike offers on the road. You can try to make the same argument against fast cars. Why don't we all just drive Geo Metros, huh? Plus it's just so much ... nicer riding a motorcycle.

Half the reason I bought my Honda was as a 'commuting tool'. It gets ~60-70mpg, insurance is 1/6th of what my car costs me, I can park it anywhere, etc etc. It's vastly more economical than my car, which I can park for most of the year and save a ton on its insurance.
I do, actually. Why buy a shiny, new BMW M5 to play the role of commute-o-box? It's a complete waste if you're just using a fast, thirsty car for A-B trips. I'd love to have something like a Geo Metro for my errand trips/work trips.

I can certainly see the mind boggling cost savings by riding a motorcycle everywhere. I can also see that it's perfectly safe if you're a trained rider. That doesn't change the fact that other people are morons. It only takes one soccer mom in a Yukon yelling at her kids while texting her bff to ruin all that cost saving and training. I trust other people on the road as much as I trust John Wayne Gacy to babysit, so there's no way I'm going to do without all the extra safety a car provides over a motorcycle on public roads.

While this is true for solid objects, a tire is not solid and the coefficient of friction of rubber is not a constant. Adhesive friction is very much dependent on contact area. The increased contact pressure of narrower tires itself increases contact area as well, but let's not go there for now.
Interesting. I was waiting for someone to contradict me on the subject. I thought it was a bit weird that such a misconception was so well spread. Unfortunately I can't find any deeper information about 'adhesive friction', so I'd love if you could point me in the right direction or maybe elaborate a bit, but don't feel compelled.

And to add to the main subject: bikes are dangerous as hell! I would however like to know how many of bike accidents that are due to irresponsible and/or stupid riders. I'd guess the number is around 90-95%. Someone here once said something along the lines of "Learn how to ride, and never ride beyond your capabilities." and I think that's a good motto. But on the other hand; some people change completely when they get on a bike...

There is a risk involved in everything. Some take it some don't. Life would be boring if everyone just chose the risk-free road. Besides if you drive defensively on the road and just treat everyone as an accident waiting to happen you reduce most of the risk. For example when I approach an intersection and see a car I always go off the gas and position my hand over the brake lever to reduce reaction time. Of course when I go into sport-mode most of that goes out the window when you charge down the road at 150+kmh.

Life would be boring if everyone just chose the risk-free road. Besides if you drive defensively on the road and just treat everyone as an accident waiting to happen you reduce most of the risk.
There are many times when I take risks and make my life exciting; my commute to work is not one of those times, nor do I want it to be. I treat everyone as an accident waiting to happen as it is now, but that doesn't completely remove the risk... and while the remaining risk of something "exciting" happening while I'm driving is the same whether I'm on a motorcycle or in a car, the consequences are much more severe in one of those.

HA! Come to Brooklyn and race any bike against even a shittiest Civic and you WILL lose on most roads. Mostly because if you try to go as fast as said Civic you will not be on your bike for very long ;) *grumble* stupid fucking shitty ass roads *grumble*

Because I can go between cars and park just about anywhere that even the tiniest of the tiny Smarts can't :) You being from CA I'm surprised you wouldn't take a bike over a car for commuting since you can use it year round. Around here it wouldn't work too well.

I've only been in LA for 12 month. It isn't as congested as I thought it will be. But it is quite annoying already, for an average South African that is. :rolleyes:

I've only been in LA for 12 month. It isn't as congested as I thought it will be. But it is quite annoying already, for an average South African that is. :rolleyes:

Yes, but in California, lane-splitting is legal, so bikes do hold that advantage in LA.

Faster- yes
Safer- HELL NO

Interesting. I was waiting for someone to contradict me on the subject. I thought it was a bit weird that such a misconception was so well spread. Unfortunately I can't find any deeper information about 'adhesive friction', so I'd love if you could point me in the right direction or maybe elaborate a bit, but don't feel compelled.

My Goggle-Fu is weak today, the only semi-usable English language link I could find is this, although it does not seem to explain speed and temperature effects on hysteresis which in turn affects adhesion.

My Goggle-Fu is weak today, the only semi-usable English language link I could find is this, although it does not seem to explain speed and temperature effects on hysteresis which in turn affects adhesion.
Heh...interesting article, thanks. Seems like pressure still is a big component, but there's definately more to the story. Well...I'm happy as long as 20% extra surface doesn't equal 20% extra grip, and thus proving 95% of the idiots out there wrong :D

I've found that *safe* bike riders make much *safer* car drivers on the road. You pay far more attention to the road and reading the road.

Once you get back into a car, you would realise how much attention your phone/radio/etc gets in your way from your job of just driving :)

http://img228.imageshack.**/img228/3162/63713938qaeedjg9popcornih1.gif

There are many times when I take risks and make my life exciting; my commute to work is not one of those times, nor do I want it to be.

God your life sounds boring

I love bikes but to argue that they are more safe than cars is simply deluded. Point you're friend to www.ride2die.com Some graphic stuff but seeing that every now and then reminds me to be more aware when driving and riding.

If this kid is just getting his motorcycle license and he wants to get a Hayabusa, he is most likely going to end up on that site. I started on a 250 cruiser that topped out at about 80 and still had some very close calls that had it been a more powerful bike would have landed me in the hospital.

All I know is that if I am in a collision I'd much rather be in a car than on a bike (any car!).

But I do agree I used to have a Honda 250 super dream (1970s) made me very aware on the road an has made me a much safer car driver than otherwise.

Neither mode of transport has any sexual connotation btw, and to say so is wrong, it is just a way of getting around.

Neither mode of transport has any sexual connotation btw, and to say so is wrong, it is just a way of getting a rise out of people.
FTFY :p