Hypothetical: FJ80 gasoline to diesel engine swap.

If you can't do the diesel, I would do a v8 swap with it. Our straight 5 (or 6, I don't remember the exact engine) 1991 land cruiser died at around 220k miles. The timing belt was impossible to repair.

Strike a nerve did I?

Just seems like every time I see a thread with your involvement you manage to throw in some complaint or smart ass remark relating to California and/or the UAW. I used to enjoy your posts till they all started to repeat themselves " commifornia" this "UAW lazy bastards" that.

Spectre said:
It should be a performance standard - "We don't care what you do to meet these rules, just meet them." That would allow for growth and development while keeping environmental quality high.

After experiencing the safety check plan that is used in Missouri, I can say I much prefer it over the smog check. Though part of that inspection involves making sure all EPA mandated equipment is on there, and a Diesel swap won't pass either.

The problem with California's setup is that even if I wanted to modify my cars to be cleaner to the environment by doing anything other than changing my air filter or running a bit less oil in the sump to keep windage down, I'm screwed. Water injection to keep NOx down? Illegal! Converting to an alternative fuel (regardless of how good it might REALLY be) is illegal unless you can find a kit that's been certified, and you HAVE to be a company intending on selling the parts to be allowed to get certified.

Essentially California makes it illegal to be a shade tree mechanic with a slant toward making your vehicle a bit better to the environment... or worse :evil:

Essentially California makes it illegal to be a shade tree mechanic with a slant toward making your vehicle a bit better to the environment... or worse
Baby, meet bath water.

Just seems like every time I see a thread with your involvement you manage to throw in some complaint or smart ass remark relating to California and/or the UAW. I used to enjoy your posts till they all started to repeat themselves " commifornia" this "UAW lazy bastards" that.

Someone keeps presenting me with targets, I just shoot at them. :D

After experiencing the safety check plan that is used in Missouri, I can say I much prefer it over the smog check. Though part of that inspection involves making sure all EPA mandated equipment is on there, and a Diesel swap won't pass either.

The problem with California's setup is that even if I wanted to modify my cars to be cleaner to the environment by doing anything other than changing my air filter or running a bit less oil in the sump to keep windage down, I'm screwed. Water injection to keep NOx down? Illegal! Converting to an alternative fuel (regardless of how good it might REALLY be) is illegal unless you can find a kit that's been certified, and you HAVE to be a company intending on selling the parts to be allowed to get certified.

Essentially California makes it illegal to be a shade tree mechanic with a slant toward making your vehicle a bit better to the environment... or worse :evil:

You know my current project up in Post Your Car? The transmission swap - three speed automatic to four speed overdrive automatic? Yeah, it's illegal in California. Even though emissions can do nothing but go down on a per mile basis, even though the fuel economy of the vehicle will go up, it's still illegal. "Not an EPA or CARB certified configuration."

If you were in a freer state, the EPA told me that yes, it was illegal at the Federal level but they didn't care if you were just converting your personal vehicle. However, the EPA examiner did admit that if you came under scrutiny from law enforcement that they could Al Capone your ass for it - and it is technically a Federal felony, on par with removing catalytic converters.

Sorry but you're wrong here. 100% absolutely wrong. You have several forms you need to fill out to flag the title as a non-gasoline car, but other than that it's fairly straightforward. You still have to have the required emissions controls for that particular fuel type in said vehicle (there's practically none required for diesel light trucks like the FJ).

Secondly, removing a catalytic converter is not a felony. It's merely a minor violation and you get a "fix-it" ticket, even in California.

Convert to a custom fuel injection setup to improve the efficiency of the engine? "It's not EPA approved. It's still illegal if your state requires equipment checks."

Wrong again. Please stop spreading misinformation. North Carolina requires yearly equipment checks, but you are allowed to do whatever you like to the motor short of removing the catalyst, EGR valve, etc. If you switch to a custom fuel setup you are fine as long as you still adhere to the state/federal emissions requirements. I've done this personally to a few cars and had no trouble whatsoever.

Secondly, removing a catalytic converter is not a felony. It's merely a minor violation and you get a "fix-it" ticket, even in California.

Umm.... No. If you are caught driving with illegal mods like removing a catalytic converter your vehicle will be towed and impounded. When my uncle was driving his F250 (that he gave me) in LA he was caught with out mufflers and it was impounded. Luckily my uncle has really awesome hook ups and got it out the next day and just continued to drive it the way it was.

Also, I agree with Spectre. I think that it should be based on "performance" and when California wants to encourage people to have cleaner cars they mean get a hybrid particularly a Prius or Civic hybrid. Why else would they give special passes that allow hybrid owners to be able to use the HOV lane with one person in the car?

Last edited:
All those laws and regs I don't know about. But where I live there has been a massive wave of imported vehicles (from Japan) that are now being sold in vancouver. My old bosses friend has a FJ80 and he took the diesel out of a wrecked japanese one and put it in his canadian bought one because he wasn't fond of the Rong Hand Drive. :p

Umm.... No. If you are caught driving with illegal mods like removing a catalytic converter your vehicle will be towed and impounded. When my uncle was driving his F250 (that he gave me) in LA he was caught with out mufflers and it was impounded. Luckily my uncle has really awesome hook ups and got it out the next day and just continued to drive it the way it was.

Your car only gets impounded if you're a dick to the cop or for driving recklessly/racing. My friend has had numerous incidents with the CHP where he was pulled over and he had unapproved modifications, one of them was a cat. He was given a ticket and let on his way.

:lmao: Oh there are some days I'm glad I live in Kansas.

MOT, EPA, CARB? These acronyms mean nothing to me.

How would they even know that its swapped? The cruiser is old enough not to require emission testing and they dont really look under the hood during inspection. I say do it

It is not old enough to be exempt in California (1972 or older are the only exempts by date), the OPs home state. The Utah regs I have no clue on, but in Texas it has to be at least 24 before its exempt from smog.

It is not old enough to be exempt in California (1972 or older are the only exempts by date), the OPs home state. The Utah regs I have no clue on, but in Texas it has to be at least 24 before its exempt from smog.

wow... +1 for Massachusetts. I think 20 is the cutoff here.

MOT = Ministry of Transport, short hand for the annual test all cars have to go through to be permitted to go on the road (includes emissions), no MOT no Licence (which has to be displayed) and you can not get Insurance which is a legal requirement in the UK.

The other acronyms, I think (corrrect me if wrong) EPA = Environmental Protection Agency and CARB = Californian Air Resources Board(?) part of EPA I think.

You know my current project up in Post Your Car? The transmission swap - three speed automatic to four speed overdrive automatic? Yeah, it's illegal in California. Even though emissions can do nothing but go down on a per mile basis, even though the fuel economy of the vehicle will go up, it's still illegal. "Not an EPA or CARB certified configuration."

Now you're just pulling shit out of your ass. The transmission is not part of the smog equipment and is perfectly legal to change. I checked this with my landlord who has to be certified by the state on for smog testing to teach this shit at the college here.

Also, I agree with Spectre. I think that it should be based on "performance" and when California wants to encourage people to have cleaner cars they mean get a hybrid particularly a Prius or Civic hybrid. Why else would they give special passes that allow hybrid owners to be able to use the HOV lane with one person in the car?

LA is an extra special case. The county and the city both have even tougher restrictions on them, mostly because of the street racing problems.

MOT = Ministry of Transport, short hand for the annual test all cars have to go through to be permitted to go on the road (includes emissions), no MOT no Licence (which has to be displayed) and you can not get Insurance which is a legal requirement in the UK.

The other acronyms, I think (corrrect me if wrong) EPA = Environmental Protection Agency and CARB = Californian Air Resources Board(?) part of EPA I think.

Correct, except CARB is a separate entity from the EPA. It only exists because it was in place before the Federal agency got around to do anything about smog so thick we couldn't go outside.

Last edited:
Correct, except CARB is a separate entity from the EPA. It only exists because it was in place before the Federal agency got around to do anything about smog so thick we couldn't go outside.

Yeah my aunt said that when she moved into LA in the 80's she would go to work and come back coughing and having her throat hurting really bad.

OT: is the road in your sig Mulholland?

Now you're just pulling shit out of your ass. The transmission is not part of the smog equipment and is perfectly legal to change. I checked this with my landlord who has to be certified by the state on for smog testing to teach this shit at the college here.

Ask him what happens when the vehicle's RPMs go out of the allowed range on the rolling road smog test, then.

Hint: The RPMs per speed in gear change when the transmission is swapped.

And even if that wasn't enough to bar the car from California, please reference the ACTUAL CARB web page:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm

Transmission or Transaxle
Transmissions and transaxles changes alone are not legal. Transmissions and transaxles can only be changed along with their matching engine. The total engine transmission package must conform to the engine change requirements above.

Since I am only changing the transmission to a GM unit and not the engine along with it, my car is illegal in the state of California.

Sorry. California really *is* that fucked up, and your landlord needs a refresher course. I believe you owe me an apology there?

IIRC, doesn't CARB actually predate the EPA? {Just checked - CARB 1967, EPA 1970}

CARB was and is a good idea. Unfortunately, as with so many government agencies, they went way, way overboard and have abandoned common sense.

I figured this out when CARB complained that a California-model Honda Civic where the exhaust gas coming out the back was cleaner and safer to breathe than the air coming in the intake was "not clean enough."

Last edited:
Yeah my aunt said that when she moved into LA in the 80's she would go to work and come back coughing and having her throat hurting really bad.

There were days where my brother couldn't go to school because of his asthma. A report came out not long ago that those of us that grew up in the LA basin have a 15% reduced lung capacity compared to other parts of the country.

OT: is the road in your sig Mulholland?[/QUOTE]

Yup. Sadly it's not of my car. I haven't had the opportunity to get anyone to come up with me and get shots of me in the GayX-5.

Since I am only changing the transmission to a GM unit and not the engine along with it, my car is illegal in the state of California.

Sorry. California really *is* that fucked up, and your landlord needs a refresher course. I believe you owe me an apology there?

You've won this round Trebek! I've yet to hear of anyone have trouble due to a trans swap.

IIRC, doesn't CARB actually predate the EPA? {Just checked - CARB 1967, EPA 1970}

CARB was and is a good idea. Unfortunately, as with so many government agencies, they went way, way overboard and have abandoned common sense.

I figured this out when CARB complained that a California-model Honda Civic where the exhaust gas coming out the back was cleaner and safer to breathe than the air coming in the intake was "not clean enough."

Yep, CARB did pre-date the EPA. I think it's a case of MOST cars actually clean the air. Saab's as old as MY92 could, infact they ran a commercial showing them connected the exhaust of another car to the intake of the then new 9000 and showed the numbers on the machine, was pretty sweet really.

Last edited:
Nope, Federal law. I initially was looking at this when I had to put a new engine in my Jeep Grand Wagoneer. Texas didn't care at all, but the Feds *do* and it is technically a Federal crime (doesn't look good if you're doing work for a defense contractor and you roll up in a Federally illegal vehicle).

In the case of California, you cannot get smogged and you will not be issued registration.

If you were in a freer state, the EPA told me that yes, it was illegal at the Federal level but they didn't care if you were just converting your personal vehicle. However, the EPA examiner did admit that if you came under scrutiny from law enforcement that they could Al Capone your ass for it - and it is technically a Federal felony, on par with removing catalytic converters.

I had a friend with one of those VW pickups, who currently has the most recent VW 2.0 TDI in there. Guess he must be skirting the law.

I had a friend with one of those VW pickups, who currently has the most recent VW 2.0 TDI in there. Guess he must be skirting the law.

Not really. The VW pickup was available as a diesel, so he can do it.

Likewise, the old 80s Toyota pickups - but not, say, a VW Vanagon or a Nissan Hardbody.